+ Post New Thread
BETT 2014 Thread, BETT Newbie for 2011 in General; OK, so I'm off to the wonderful world of BETT on Friday I remember I was told I must visit ...
    Thank Post

BETT Newbie for 2011

OK, so I'm off to the wonderful world of BETT on Friday

I remember I was told I must visit that Edugeek place and I've looked at the plan for others places to visit (hopefully plenty of freebies )

I have a sheet of paper printed out with a barcode (huh ????)

I have read 100 tips - some of which I didn't understand

Do I really need to take my own food (or take out a mortgage ?!)

Should I take a laptop or too heavy to cart around ?

Is there a help point if I get lost ?

Might not head back until around 7.30pm from Waterloo - so what do I do for that early evening ? I see there's a teachmeet going on - anything else recommended ?

Please help a complete nooooob !

Thank Post
    Comfy shoes and a bag for leaflets/paperwork and maybe a few freebies!

Thank Post
    Don't take a laptop or food - you'll be glad of travelling light. Food's expensive, yes, but worth it not to cart your lunch imo.
    Treat edugeek as your help point - they're better than anything else!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Travel light. Take a big bag for your hoarde of freebies and leaflets (most of the leaflets will end up in a recycling bin, but hey!)

The hall gets quite warm so wear layers... all that hot air from salesmen is my theory! Wear comfy shoes as you'll be on your feet all day!

The food is pricey, but I find it easier to get some there than lug it around. In any case you can go to the edugeek stand at noon and claim your free slice of pizza to keep you going!

Your bar code is your identifier. If you don't already have a badge (bottom right corner of the letter or emailed to you), scan your barcode at the entrance and a badge will be printed. Stick it in one of the badge holders available at the entrance and enjoy! Your badge barcode will be scanned by exhibitors so that you can be added to mailing lists of companies where you're interested in receiving further information.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yup, Travel Lite and Wear Comfortable Clothes. It can become very hot in the arena itself and it does get Very busy indeed! As tom said the food is quite expensive and you'll be shocked if you have not looked at the prices before, but worth it not having to think about it before hand and carry around with you all day!

James.

rad
    Thank Post
    It was my first Bett last year.

I took a rucksack, it was cold, but the bag ended up carrying my coat all day, it is warm inside the hall so wear lightweight clothing you can take off. As you are travelling by train, you will get tube on District (green) line to Earls Court and then have to change for Olympia. The tube train (which is now overground) does take a while, not that many compared to the other trains. When you return though, you will have to wait in the outside for the return tube so a coat will be needed.

As for food, if you want to buy before going into the show, there is a Tesco on the main "high street" (turn right at top of road when leaving tube) and it is on the left opposite Olympia.

I managed (not sure how) to get in early and found the Edugeek stand straight away, and trust me you want to to replace your poncy WWII ID pass with its fashionable string for an even better Edugeek Lanyard and ID card.

If you see the lovely Witch (very approachable) she will sort you out. Then sweet talk Chris (Dos_Box) you will recognise him too and ask nicely that you would like a mug, it works wonders.

As for other advice, wonder at your leisure, and hide your ID barcode or you end up with spam filling up your inbox on your return. Have a look all around the stands and dont be afraid to go back and listen to talks. Also ask how things work or to see a demo, it really is friendly as no one is after a sale at the show, they are after you to buy their products after the show.

So to recap, it really is a "demo show" more than a "sales" show. Lastly and this applies to EVERYONE, Edugeek stand staff (members) are friendly, it is up to you if you stay virtual, but I wouldn't, mugs are not available to everyone!

7. Thanks to rad from:

Dos_Box (13th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Some quality additional advice from those who posted after me - it was even over warm last year despite the foul weather outdoors!

Thank Post
    When i went 2 years ago, I took nothing. First stand i stopped at gave me a bag and a mug. It was then my sole mission in life (for that day at least) to fill the bag with freebies.

the bar code will be scanned at the different stands rather than taking your details, they scan you.

Thank Post
    I'm taking my laptop tomorrow, but then I do have a 3 hour train journey down and a 3 hour journey back up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am taking cherry coke, tin foil and some overnight stuff...good times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Nice big colourful bags on offer from frog this year Including purple ones for Little Miss!

Thank Post
    A basic sarnie cost £4.50 a small bottle of coke £2 and a bag of crisps £1.65, so might be worth taking something to eat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember, we put on free pizza at lunch time (about 12:00) there was plenty enough for several slices each yesterday, so you don't have to worry about starving. I think Tony has also wrangled some free drinks (water pop) on a first come, first served basis today

Thank Post
    All good advice above, comfy shoes are a must! I've only been once, and recall feeling thirsty a lot as it gets quite warm (as mentioned above!) so taking a drink maybe a good idea

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I am taking cherry coke, tin foil and some overnight stuff...good times.
    nice... never go anywhere with out your tin foil

Are you there on Friday?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread