+ Post New Thread
BETT 2014 Thread, Stuff at BETT in General; A fairly busy morning catching up with people, a few launch events, a few new goodies to have a look ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stuff at BETT

A fairly busy morning catching up with people, a few launch events, a few new goodies to have a look at and some free pizza at the EduGeek Technical Help Point.

I popped by the Stone Computers stand and caught up with folk, and had a really nice look at their all in one solution (pictures to follow). I was impressed by the design and functionality of it, and it was small things like a full size optical drive (cheaper to replace if damaged), the monitor is on a VESA mounting plate and can be removed by one screw if needed, the monitor is of your choice (this one had a 19" wide screen that had touch screen functionality) and the innards was designed to be engineer friendly. I'm checking prices and spec but it looks to come out at £570 ... but more details later.

Synetrix did not open their stand until 11.30 as they launched their new learning platform. Previously their solutions have been tied in with the schools / LAs they work with as learning grids (the exception is MoodleDo from I2Q), but now they have a solution available to all schools. I've watched what they have been developing over the last year and was intrigued by some of it ... well worth a look at if you are looking at your options.

The Microsoft stand was busy as always and I didn't get chance to catch up with everyone I wanted. This week they have folk from Twynham College and Lodge Park Technology College talking about Sharepoint and Live@Edu respectively ... and don't forget to go and heckle Alex Pearce!!!

It was also good to see the wide variety of people at the Open Source Cafe. A wealth of ideas and contacts there if you are looking for anything open source.

Lots of netbooks about too ... the Intel stand is full of them, including touch screen devices.

And lots of 3D too. It is quite funny how the change in cinema is also having an effect so quickly at BETT. I know some of these suppliers and manufacturers have been going on about how good it can be but there are now a variety of resources to go with it. No longer a white elephant possibly?

Well, lots more to see ... and all those press packs to go through later too.

3G access is pants so not been able to tweet at all ... might have to go and hide in the press lounge for a bit for decent Wi-Fi.

Photos and videos to follow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today's video has been postponed until tomorrow....mostly due to having to transcode every video taken on Russ' camera. Grrr

but stay tuned for some interviews and demos from some big names

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi I agree about the stone looks good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Today's video has been postponed until tomorrow....mostly due to having to transcode every video taken on Russ' camera. Grrr

but stay tuned for some interviews and demos from some big names
    ... Edugeek's Cameraman Domino will put the worlds to rights after that camera today

Thank Post
    So, is this Openhive VLE from Synetrix in effect now property of the all conquering Capita?

Interesting development..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    and don't forget to go and heckle Alex Pearce!!!
    you didnt come and heckle yourself!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too busy speaking on the Open Source Café stand when the last chance to heckle came up. Maybe next year!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread