+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BETT 2014 Thread, BETT 2014: What one thing has impressed you... in General; Originally Posted by X-13 We've got a few for nursery and I've not had to run about fixing them. I'll ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    We've got a few for nursery and I've not had to run about fixing them.

I'll let you know how long a set of 30 take to get ready if you're interested. We've got a new set coming soon. [Text message at 8:15pm yesterday... "forgot to mention, I bought 30 learnpads"]

Only if you have a proper reason for choosing the more expensive device.
    Horses for courses really. I personally think the iPad and the apps are excellent and very well made and the Learnpad app could well turn the iPad into the multiuser network client most schools want.

It won't take long to set up 30 of them - if you utilise the QRKeys to connect to WiFi and link them to your establishment it won't take long at all. Takes a bit longer to structure lessons, categories and activities but, in my experience, its well worth taking time to get those right early on - saves time in the long run.

Thank Post
    I came across locuro which is a school trip gps tracking and support service.

The safeguarding they do if an event happens close by is really good.

30 a month as well is really cheap.

3. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

GeekyPete (4th February 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Go4Schools was my surprise of the show. I expected it to be just an analysis tool just to find it can be used for grade entry, analysis and reporting. Very nice looking system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well... aside from Magic Phil's (Smoothewall) Magic - off against the Lapsafe man...

I was impressed by a more generic feel, split between the arrogance of some big suppliers that their software was infallible (for once I am not aiming a swipe at Capita!), and mirrored with some really impressive offerings from some comparatively micro suppliers.

These included ClassCharts (simple but effective classroom data analysis), Sporting Nation (sports teams and events management software), and then some of the simple innovative hardware pieces mostly for tablet management, like micro multi charging and syncing devices.

6. Thanks to GREED from:

tom_newton (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Steven_Cleaver (26th January 2014)

Thank Post
    The Solar Ready stand tucked away against one wall, showing off their solar-powered IT kit.

Home | Solar Ready

Especially neat was using heat recovery to charge the battery packs built into the PSUs, leading to a cool(er)* exhaust temp for the computer and less/no need for a/c.

It's just a pity our DT dept wasn't visiting BETT, they'd have kidnapped the bloke and spent the day quizzing him in the pub.

*I don't think it was running a heavy load, so not sure what it'd be like in production.

10. Thanks to pete from:

GeekyPete (4th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InspireICT View Post
    The Learnpad for iPad looked really good - might be a good compromise.
    What does it do? Did not get to BETT this year, and cannot find anything about it on Learnpads website.

Thank Post
    Gives the ability to login as a user on the iPad - which in turn gives access to shared drives (and user specific drives I think) ability to print as well. Worth giving Learnpad a call to ask about it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    What does it do? Did not get to BETT this year, and cannot find anything about it on Learnpads website.
    If it's like the Android version, it'll restrict the tablet so that it can only use the apps you allow.

It's good for ensuring pupils stay on task. [and for stopping Staff from using the tablet for personal things, like facebook.]

Thank Post
    Agree the learnpad looks and does the business especially for primary schools. We have recently bought 60 units of the latest tablet after an in school demo and we were are not disappointed with our acquisition. For any ICT coordinators who fill in the technician role (because they know a little) the job of setting the devices up on the system and file sharing to our server couldn't be simpler with use of QR code scanning. ..1/2 a day from box to child ready. Most of the time spent unpacking and feeding the power cables through the charging unit. 15min to register the tablets , apply wireless setting, load the first set of resources using QR code scanning and the powerful management tool for uploading resources . Read the info on their website it does what it says on the box.. our teachers love them for the easy to use classroom management tool, the children think the Ipads are fantastic (need reminding constantly its an android tablet) and we can buy more educational friendly devices for our money compared to commercial units.. its been win win so far..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd342 View Post
    Agree the learnpad looks and does the business especially for primary schools. We have recently bought 60 units of the latest tablet after an in school demo and we were are not disappointed with our acquisition. For any ICT coordinators who fill in the technician role (because they know a little) the job of setting the devices up on the system and file sharing to our server couldn't be simpler with use of QR code scanning. ..1/2 a day from box to child ready. Most of the time spent unpacking and feeding the power cables through the charging unit. 15min to register the tablets , apply wireless setting, load the first set of resources using QR code scanning and the powerful management tool for uploading resources . Read the info on their website it does what it says on the box.. our teachers love them for the easy to use classroom management tool, the children think the Ipads are fantastic (need reminding constantly its an android tablet) and we can buy more educational friendly devices for our money compared to commercial units.. its been win win so far..
    Sounds suspiciously like a paid-for comment...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like a paid-for comment...
    unfortunately not . Just a reply to the thread title. Suppose it might have been prudent to introduce myself first Still a good product nonetheless...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12