+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, PC World !!!!!! in Purchasing and Trading; Due to the snow I had some time yesterday. My Dad's been hassling me for sometime about a laptop so ...
    Thank Post

PC World !!!!!!

Due to the snow I had some time yesterday. My Dad's been hassling me for sometime about a laptop so I foolishly agreed to go to PC world with him. I was hoping just to have a look and give him an idea on price.
    Anyway after talking to 4 "sales" staff who basically were not even able to help find somebody who could help ! We finally got to speak to somebody. We asked about a laptop on a flyer that was in the laptop section. We found the laptop but the price was £50 more expensive. I asked why they said that the price had gone up I said but I didn't think you could advertise in store one price and sell it at another. We asked for the manager but the sales staff just came back with the flyer screwed up. eventally the manager came over and tryed to justify the price and even recommended I take it up with trading standards an offer I'm happy to take up. Needless to say that is the last time I step into PC world...

Thank Post

Re: PC World !!!!!!

I've always disliked PC world, very very expensive (USB A-B lead, £14.99!!) and generally their advise is very sketchy, and even down right wrong on ocassions.

However, I like you was at a loose end yesterday, ended up there with a friend for some bizzare reason, and I actually bagged myself a bargain! (Due to a shop assistant placing a product in the wrong place.)

The ticket description was virtually identical, but the product that was there was twice the price of what should have been there. I therefore got (after a bit of an arguement) a network connectable portable hard drive for £59.99 insted of £129.99. At £129.99 it would have been a rip off, but at £59.99 it's a bargain. E-Buyer sell the same product currently for £80.

Afraid the rest were swiftly removed from the shelves, and they wouldn't let me buy more than one of them

Shame the manager of your branch wasn't so clued up to realise you were infact right.

Mike

Thank Post

I've had a few bad experiences with PC World as well.

The first happened about four years ago when I was 16. I tried to take a component back because it was faulty but simply got "i'm sorry, but we can't take this product back without its original box, you were supposed to keep it". No matter what I said, he would not accept that the component was faulty therefore I shouldn't need the original box. I went home and phoned the store up to complain. I was then told that if I came back to the store I would be given in-store vouchers in return for the product. This I refused as I didn't want to buy anything else from the store and I demanded cash (it was just over £100). He accepted this eventually. I went to the store and told them of the conversation I had just had on the phone. I asked for the cash only to be told that there wasn't enough in any of the tills. I waited for over 20 mins for them to find enough cash to give me the money.

The second was a similar experience, i.e. taking a product back. It was a processor heatsink/fan and it was very dodgy i.e. making rather a lot of noise it shouldn't have been making. I took it back to the store and I could tell they were very skeptical about what I was saying. They connected it to a test computer mobo and showed it to me. It wasn't making any weird noise at that point (I later found out that it needed to be physically on top of the processor for it to happen) so they were like "well if we can't see any problem with the product we can't replace it". I guess I would have done the same in their position but it still annoyed me at the time that they were so skeptical about what I told them.

I have more but I can't remember them off hand.

Thank Post

If you want incompetent staff and overpriced products go to PC World !

I went there once... and found they sell ADSL filters for £10 each! Then I get back home, opened ebay and found 2 ADSL filters for 5£ with shipment.

Avoid PC world at all cost, imho that is

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ch3rub
    If you want incompetent staff and overpriced products go to PC World !

I went there once... and found they sell ADSL filters for £10 each! Then I get back home, opened ebay and found 2 ADSL filters for 5£ with shipment.

Avoid PC world at all cost, imho that is
    I used to work at PC world many moons ago. Not a nice place to work very bad employers that care nothing for there staff, hence there staff retention rate is poor. The techie's tend to be just learning there trade when they start there and with the top end of the pay scale being 16k ish and those that have some aptitude tent to move on swiftly. The sales people are just that and have no ethics as they need the commision for a livable wage.

PC World has its uses if you must have whatever it is you want straight away. At the end of the day they are box shifters dont expect anymore than that from them.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hardly ever shop in shops like PC World, but I do occasionally pop in to check for mispriced goods.

I managed to buy a 250Gb freecom external hard disk for £8.99! Should have been £89.99. The person at the till didn't even notice either...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I have used them on occasion and found the service to be quite good.
    I've often been fixing my own and freinds/families computers and have needed a replacement part for testing- adsl modem most recently, cdroms etc. PCWorld are able to offer this fantasic service where you 'buy' the part you need and then return it to them after the weekend, the sales staff are easily fooled by the lamest of excuses and happily oblige. hmm, wonder if they do projectors, could be fun for half term. :twisted:

Thank Post

PC World are good at what they do, computer shops chokka with gear you can fiddle with. I will go in sometimes, see whats on offer and then buy it elsewhere at a cheaper price. I guess many of us "in the know" do this, but for the average Joe, PC World offer good service. People in general would rather buy goods from a bright and airy emporium, rather than a dingy backstreet shop, even though the staff in the small shop will almost certainly give you better service. The average Joe probably wouldn't consider buying something as mysterious as a computer via the internet.

I know someone whose laptop needed a reload. She didn't know how to change the BIOS so it will boot from CD rather than HD, so she went to PC World who charged her £45 for the privilege. I wish she had come to me first; I'd have done it for £30 To be fair, they did load XP from the recovery disc, activated it and loaded all of the updates. I'm guessing an hours work, so £45 isn't to bad. When I worked in the real world, my company would charge me out at £120 per hour - shame I didn't see any where near that amount.

Thank Post

Just thought of another one...

My aunt went into pcworld and asked about home networking. The guy in pcworld she was talking to insisted you can't have a home network on a dialup internet connection 8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

How much do they charge for a memory upgrade these days ?
    I did one for one of the teachers at school - took me 5 mins. [ Took me longer to get the case back on than change the memory ] and they were amazed it was that quick. Then came the: ' My friend took their PC to PC World to get theirs done..' Charged them around £40 !! Tossers.

You can't beat a good old PC World slagg off session on a Friday can you ?

Thank Post

i never shop at pc world!!! :twisted:

Thank Post

I went in to pc world ONCE to look around and have a few heart attacks while my girlfriend was shopping for shoes.

could not help but listen into a conversation between a sales man and 2 old poeple. he was trying to sell them a £2k system that was basically a games machine. the old guy started the conversation by saying he no idea what to get and he just wanted to send his grand children emails etc.

any way the sales man had to go get some information. this is when i jumped in and explained to him that he did not need to spend such crazy amounts of money on a system that he would only use for sending emails. and that he would get a much better deal if he went else were i.e. online or a local shop.

with that they thanked me and left the shop

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    hmm, wonder if they do projectors, could be fun for half term. :twisted:
    Yup, been there, done that.

Steer clear of the £399 Optoma they do, though. Utter, utter crap. It lasted 30 minutes with me before I was driven mad by the terrible picture and returned it!

Thank Post

I did consider once going into PC World and pretending to be the average Joe, ask a load of really basic questions, then tell them why the machine they had recommended was wrong.
    They also sell 2.0MHz (yes, not GHz!) computers. Perhaps someone ought to ask why they sell such rubbish machines!

Hadn't thought of "buying" stuff, then returning it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast