+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, CP in Purchasing and Trading; I know a lot of people praise Simon at CP - but my experience has not been so good. Back ...

Thank Post

CP

I know a lot of people praise Simon at CP - but my experience has not been so good.

Back last summer I ordered 10 x DVD writers to fit some of our new Dells. A box of drives arrived and we fitted them into the PCs. A week or two later, we had a complaint from a user that they couldn't burn a DVD, so we duly trundle off to have a look. It turns out that we have been sent DVD ROMs not writers, and I know I should have checked carefully - but even so, they weren't as ordered.

A regular exchange of phone calls & emails produced a string of excuses about why the exchange had not happened, but no result. After 6 months, I am out of patience. I told Simon a while ago that I would be posting here, if we had not had a resolution - and so here we are.

Disappointing, but there are plenty of other suppliers, caveat emptor and all that.

Thank Post
    Not really fair to blame Simon. The drives came from Dell so would have been their mistake and not Simon's. If you had checked the delivery at the time you could have refused them and saved yourself a lot of running around.

I am sure Simon is doing his best to rectify the situation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    The drives came from Dell so would have been their mistake and not Simon's.
    That's not what the OP said.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok,

Original order we recieved was from our quote showing DVDROM/CDRW Drives which is what we supplied , I tried to get Dell to swap these out but they would not as the order was correct,
    I am sorry that the OP is unhappy about this but then you must check quotes correctly before authorising an order

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Not really fair to blame Simon. The drives came from Dell so would have been their mistake and not Simon's. If you had checked the delivery at the time you could have refused them and saved yourself a lot of running around.

Not necessarily; the mistake is most likely to have been with CP who will have ordered a Dell part number...

However when ordering anything, the onus is on the buyer to check
    a) that the order confirmation is as expected (in this case RW instead of RO)
    b) that what arrives is what it says on the packing list and that what it says on the packing list is what is on the order confirmation

If neither of these was done, the fault lies with the buyer An expensive mistake... As the drives have been fitted, I feel that CP are probably not culpable.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 3rd March 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, some ownership of the problem lies with the buyer, but as a buyer I would expect the reseller to listen to what I have asked for, to repeat to me what I have asked for to confirm and then to get on with it.

It also depends on the quantity ordered and the value.

The fact that during conversations the words 'DVD' and 'burner' are likely to have been mentioned a heck of a lot. I've been here with other suppliers in the past and sometimes you just have to cut your loses because you never now how much work it is going to be double and triple checking that the orders are correct with some suppliers or even certain sales drones in particular companies. I know that if I my phonecall was picked up by one rep at Dell I would give up, but for all others there it was brilliant. It happens.

Fair play to Kev for keeping with trying to resolve the issue before commenting publicly.

Thank Post

No the onus lies completely with the seller you have sent the wrong part, you have not fulfilled the contract = refund. If they have ordered the wrong part though that is just tough. There is no legal right to a refund/replacement.
    Last edited by somabc; 3rd March 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    ok,

Original order we recieved was from our quote showing DVDROM/CDRW Drives which is what we supplied , I tried to get Dell to swap these out but they would not as the order was correct,
    I am sorry that the OP is unhappy about this but then you must check quotes correctly before authorising an order

No the onus lies completely with the seller you have sent the wrong part, you have not fulfilled the contract = refund. If they have ordered the wrong part though that is just tough. There is no legal right to a refund/replacement.
    somabc: note quite true if you read what Simon has posted if the purchase order submitted by the buyer did state DVDRom/CDRW based of the quote they received from CP then the buyer has entered into a contract to buy DVDROM/CDRW drives and not the DVDRW he actually required.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, as much as it is annoying if the quote you accepted and signed stated DVDROM/CDRW Drives then CP has actually done nothing wrong.. even if for example they may of got it mixed up and quoted you for DVDROM/CDRW rather then DVD/RW you still read and accepted the quote that was sent to you in which case that is an error made by yourself.

It's a at times and can easily be done i suppose if it's a busy day, but this time it seems there is nothing much you can do other than purchase DVD/RW Drives.

Uness otherwise you can state that the quote you sent back indeed was for DVD/RW and therefore it would be a different kettle of fish.

Hope you get it sorted though Kev, and yes fairplay for trying to find a solution before publically posting

James.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 4th March 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    I can see both sides of this argument and agree with virtually all the points raised.

Can i suggest a solution if all parties agreed?? that Simon considers part exchanging the drives for the correct ones as required (on payment of the relevant difference in cost). Simon then has 10 drives that he can sell to the next person that asks, uses as competition prizes or uses as part of any custom PC builds he has coming up that only need dvd rom drives.

The client would have what he needed - Simon would not be too far out of pocket and everyones a winner??

A relatively easy solution that hopefully would suit all parties and maintains the good rep of Simon ( an excellent guy in 99.9 % of peoples eyes).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    I can see both sides of this argument and agree with virtually all the points raised.

Can i suggest a solution if all parties agreed?? that Simon considers part exchanging the drives for the correct ones as required (on payment of the relevant difference in cost). Simon then has 10 drives that he can sell to the next person that asks, uses as competition prizes or uses as part of any custom PC builds he has coming up that only need dvd rom drives.

The client would have what he needed - Simon would not be too far out of pocket and everyones a winner??

A relatively easy solution that hopefully would suit all parties and maintains the good rep of Simon ( an excellent guy in 99.9 % of peoples eyes).

+Rep - I foresee a career with the UN ... good idea

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i am quite happy to discuss with the OP tomorrow to find a way to fix the situation

Thank Post
    A mistake on your part I think for not reading the order properly. If Simon does get them changed then that's above any beyond what he should have to do as a supplier. He's supplied the goods, just so happened that you ordered the wrong thing. He, as with any other supplier, can't be expected to know what you want and run through all the alternatives just to make sure you've got the right thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    A mistake on your part I think for not reading the order properly. If Simon does get them changed then that's above any beyond what he should have to do as a supplier. He's supplied the goods, just so happened that you ordered the wrong thing. He, as with any other supplier, can't be expected to know what you want and run through all the alternatives just to make sure you've got the right thing.
    Sorry ... rubbish!

If I am on the phone to a supplier and I say DVD Burner ... and state Dell and repeat it a few times, the supplier repeats it back to me a few times too including sample costs perhaps then it is reasonable that this is what you would expect to receive on the quote.

The order form is likely to have gone off as "as per quote ref xxxxx" and the order might state DVD Burner (don't know whether it did in this case) but because the order is based on the quote then the quote is what gets ordered. The supplier should have spotted this when it came in.

If a supplier can't get a quote right and you have to double and triple check every quote to make sure it is exactly right then I'd move to a supplier who gets it right, first time, every time. And I have too ... and others do as well. As I said above the supplier (or reseller in this case) should spot the mistake too and go back to double check.

It also shouldn't take a public posting to get things changed either ... yet after 6 months of talks it takes Kev to post on here and then Simon says "I'll call the OP tomorrow". I really do think Kev has a fair point to say he is unhappy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Sorry ... rubbish!

If I am on the phone to a supplier and I say DVD Burner ... and state Dell and repeat it a few times, the supplier repeats it back to me a few times too including sample costs perhaps then it is reasonable that this is what you would expect to receive on the quote.

The order form is likely to have gone off as "as per quote ref xxxxx" and the order might state DVD Burner (don't know whether it did in this case) but because the order is based on the quote then the quote is what gets ordered. The supplier should have spotted this when it came in.

If a supplier can't get a quote right and you have to double and triple check every quote to make sure it is exactly right then I'd move to a supplier who gets it right, first time, every time. And I have too ... and others do as well. As I said above the supplier (or reseller in this case) should spot the mistake too and go back to double check.

It also shouldn't take a public posting to get things changed either ... yet after 6 months of talks it takes Kev to post on here and then Simon says "I'll call the OP tomorrow". I really do think Kev has a fair point to say he is unhappy.
    You're assuming that the OP actually asked for the correct thing and even still, if you get a quote you and I both know that you read the quote to make sure it's exactly what you want before creating the purchase order regardless of whether you know the supplier and trust them. I know we're only talking a few quid here but that is irrelevant. If something landed on your desk for you to sign I'm sure you wouldn't go straight to the signature line without first reading over what it was. Same applies here. You read it, you make sure it's what you want, you place the order.

This is obviously my own opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. If you don't check things, mistakes happen. It's easy to make a mistake and I'm sure on this occasion a supplier would be first to admit the mistake if the person received a quote and emailed back saying it was wrong. If I signed an order for a red bike, when I wanted green, and the supplier placed the order for a red bike I would not kick off when a green bike turned up. I'd admit the mistake and try to see if their was anything the supplier could do to help out but if not then lesson learnt. No point making out its somebody else's fault when you've made the simple mistake of not checking. If Dell won't take the goods back because of this mistake then Simon is going to be left with stock he probably can't make use of. Why should any company pay for an oversight that isn't their own?

That said we've all been there and tried to get jobs done and out the way so I am in no way trying to insult SpuffMonkey. I also point out that I would say the same for any supplier not just CP.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 3rd March 2010 at 11:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information