+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, CP in Purchasing and Trading; The main difference for me is that in the past when going to a supplier or reseller I would presume ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The main difference for me is that in the past when going to a supplier or reseller I would presume they could listen to what was requested, make a note of it and quote me correctly. The first fault lies in the fact that the quote was wrong. I've not said the OP was faultless but it doesn't hide the fact that if the quote is wrong then that will bugger everything else up.

Not all orders would be prepared by me either ... I would request a quote, it would come in and I would pass it over to someone to do the paperwork. In the past I have experienced resellers who will put a part number down but not a complete description. At this point you rely on the knowledge and expertise of your reseller ... and some trade on the fact that they are so knowledgeable and experienced. When they make a cock-up on the quote, leaving me or my school out of pocket I have two choices, talk with them to come up with an amicable solution or express my dissatisfaction and take my business elsewhere. I would probably attempt the former before doing the later. When schools have got such a range of possible suppliers, all giving really good prices ... the fact that I might save thruppence by using one supplier does not mean it is best value ... not when there is the cock-up factor to consider. That is why I keep repeating to people that the cost in money is not always the total cost. In the OP's case it is also the disruption caused, in some cases it is the haggling that some companies insist on before they give you their best price, or it might be lowering your ethics by passing on prices from another supplier so that they can be beaten by the company you prefer or have friends in. I know not everyone would agree with all those points (especially the last one ... some folk don't understand why I have an issue with this) but if a company cannot quote me correctly then I move on ... saying that it is just the OP's fault is not fair to the OP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The main difference for me is that in the past when going to a supplier or reseller I would presume they could listen to what was requested, make a note of it and quote me correctly. The first fault lies in the fact that the quote was wrong. I've not said the OP was faultless but it doesn't hide the fact that if the quote is wrong then that will bugger everything else up.
    I agree, and whilst perhaps the OP should have checked, and of course we don't know what he actually ordered, I do think that if you are using a trusted supplier than you should be able to presume to some extent that they are providing what you asked for.
    This happened to me a while ago - I had got a quote from Dell for 30 desktop machines, and asked them to re-quote 6 months later on exactly the same kit as the original quote was no longer valid.
    I have to say I didn't check the quote as I presumed they had a) listened to me and b) copied their original quote, changing the price if necessary.

When the kit arrived, it was towers, not desktops!! Apparently that is the default order and the person re-quoting missed the fact that I wanted something different.

Yes, I maybe should have checked but I think, given the circumstances, it was reasonable that I didn't and they should have put their hands up to their mistake.

They didn't of course. I got stuck with 30 towers I didn't want and they lost a customer

Thank Post
    We could go around in circles until we know the following:

1) What did the OP ask for? (Was this anywhere in writing?)

2) What did the Supplier quote show? (Assume this is written)

3) What did the PO to the Supplier show?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Have to agree with GD and Witch. If you are getting a quote from a trusted supplier you should be able to get what you ask for first time. Especially for example when all you are asking is for the company to just give you an identical quote just for a different school.

Thank Post
    Mistakes happen.

And its easy for us here flinging blame around, and clearly in this case there have been a few.

I think the future you will see a change in method to avoid such errors.

Always get an email confirming the order ... I do ....

Always check it ... before handing in for ordering.

When it comes, open the box and confirm its what you ordered. CP are one of the best for sorting problems out. If you would have not fitted them and contacted CP when they arived, im sure this wouldnt be an issue now, since you have opened and fitted them you have to accept a certain amount of responsibility in the whole situation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It routinely takes me 4 or 5 attempts to get the quote right from Dell. Even when sending them all their own part numbers for every single item it always comes back wrong.

And then they send me the wrong thing anyway....I don't know where they get their account managers but its no surprise to me you got the wrong thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There appears to be an awful lot of people riding an awful lot of high horses around here.

The fact is we don't know what the OP ordered, whether the order matched what was ordered or what has been going on since. Making presumptioms about the quality of of company's service based on hearsay is not fair.

And posting that someones else's opinion is 'Rubbish' when you don't know the facts is frankly out of order.

Thank Post
    Well, tbh I have more sympathy with CP than I do the OP. Under these circumstances I would've bit the bullet, stuck em on eBay and ordered the right thing.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately Simon will get the blame for incompetence at Dell which as above is fairly common. At my previous job we often received the wrong spec laptops, a total change in laptop when we were not told the D630 was end of life.

It took nearly 8 months to resolve an issue with the plastic nightmare after the d630, it then took a further 2 months to get an engineer to give us a correct install order for XP Pro drivers... not everyone uses Vista, Dell!

Long story short, our reseller was in a similar position despite best efforts of our account manager at my last job and despite his valiant efforts it took months to resolve.

I am not making excuses for anyone... sometimes these things happen, I'm certain Simon will be working his best to resolve this
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 4th March 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    When you assume something you make an A$$ out of you and me.

Let the OP and CP ( Simon or whoever ) sort it out - no use bringing us into it because we don't have access to any of the paper work ( as kmount stated previously ) nor can we see it or know what "actually happened" and we can only go on what the OP and Simon ( CP ) say which is going to make things a lot more complex then they need to be.

I've not ordered anything as of yet but Simon and Co. have always been prompt at replying and with the correct information etc

Thank Post
    This happened to me a while ago - I had got a quote from Dell for 30 desktop machines, and asked them to re-quote 6 months later on exactly the same kit as the original quote was no longer valid.
    I have to say I didn't check the quote as I presumed they had a) listened to me and b) copied their original quote, changing the price if necessary.
    Dell, and other computer manufacturers, change kit on a weekly basis. You can't possibly expect them to be able to provide the same model 6 months later if you're buying from Dell/HP/Acer etc. If they do then it's a bonus but to assume the same make and model will be available after that time is wrong.

When making any large purchase check the order. It's simple as. Five minute job and can save a whole load of hassle.

Thank Post
    I'd usually chip in but i'm tied on this one, sorry! :/

Thank Post
    Bah, I'm bored of this...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see the points on BOTH sides of the fence, on the one hand, we do not know what the OP asked for (in terms of the exact model), and on the other we do not know what Simon quoted for (in terms of the exact model), as well as the fact that we do not know if the OP checked over the quote before writing out the order as per quotation ref###.

I have had on 1 occasion where we received the wrong RAM for a bunch of Toshiba Laptops, I rang Simon, it was a mistake his end (or the suppliers end, I do not remember which to be honest) and within 2 days I had the right RAM and was fitting it like a trooper.

Generally Simon has been a good supplier and I have only ever had that 1 issue which was sorted in lightning time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Dell, and other computer manufacturers, change kit on a weekly basis. You can't possibly expect them to be able to provide the same model 6 months later if you're buying from Dell/HP/Acer etc. If they do then it's a bonus but to assume the same make and model will be available after that time is wrong.

When making any large purchase check the order. It's simple as. Five minute job and can save a whole load of hassle.
    The reseller had been told, at the time that the D630 was still available, during the order process it may have come to EOL but... presumably the acc manager at Dell would have told the reseller who we used, but... this it didn't happen.

Dell on any level are not great for communicating anything, it was kind of a comply or die situation, in our case it was if you don't like Vista tough... problem being on a very aged Novell network this caused too many issues. Of course, you're entitled to an opinion, I'm stating the fact that Dell are not great with communicating changes, reading e-mails, reading prior e-mail notes or resolving issues - from my experience at least.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 4th March 2010 at 10:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information