+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Bad Experiences Thread, Acer Aspire One - DO NOT BUY!!! in Purchasing and Trading; An update on this... After spending 3 days of telephone tennis, and eventually getting to the Sales Director at Acer, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An update on this...

After spending 3 days of telephone tennis, and eventually getting to the Sales Director at Acer, they have decided to take the hit and give us new netbooks or a refund....now mulling it over with my boss, we will test one of the new netbooks they intend to send us, if we don't like it, we will go for the refund..

Woo! Result!

Thank Post
    Well, I've crossed Acer from our shopping list.

Thank Post
    I was looking at these as well...
    Thanks for the warning.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I threatened to sue acer, and they have now decided they will accept fault and take back the netbooks and repair them (again!)
    I would suggest you add a caveat to this further repair, although you might have already gone too far to get your money back, as it generally applies to the initial repair.

I am unsure of the business element with regard the Sale of Goods Act in this respect, but, as a consumer, you have to give the vendor the opportunity to put right the fault in the first instance (that is after you've had the goods a while, which in your case you have). Just because they are faulty does not give you immediate rights to a refund.

It is of course different if they are supplied faulty as opposed to developing a fault during the time you have them.

Within the first 6 months, it is also down to the vendor to prove the fault wasn't there when the items were supplied, as opposed to you the customer to prove it was there.

Now this next point is key.

If they fail to rectify the fault at the first attempt, you are then entitled to a full refund of your costs less any depreciation that the vendor may wish to apply for the time you have had the goods.

Now, as I say, you might want to add a caveat to this next repair that you are prepared to give them a 2nd opportunity to repair the goods, but if they fail to do so, you will be rejecting them under the Sale of Goods Act as not fit for purpose.

I am not sure, but I think if you allow them to proceed with the next repair, you have indicated that you accept the goods and are waiving your right to demand a refund, unless that is they are prepared to do so. I think it would be worth checking, as you might be heading down a long road otherwise.

I had a similar experience with Comet. Laptop developed a fault with DVD drive, sent it away, came back with unrepaired fault. Comet wanted to send it away again, I refused on the grounds the laptop wasn't fit for purpose, and demanded a refund. They dug their heels in, so I wrote to the Directors Office with a letter of action. I got a refund in full.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Could be worse, you could have 2 rooms full of Veritons which have shipped with US keyboards (no £ symbol etc) and have Acer stating that they cannot ship replacement keyboards for their own machines!
    I don't mean to derail the thread, but this exact thing happened to us. We bought 45 Veritons that all came with US keyboards. Purchased from Misco, we spoke to our account manager who offered to replace all the keyboards at no cost to us. Perhaps speak with your supplier.

Acer - not the best at all. Have had many problems with our Acer hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    righty, an update (to an extent)...Found the fault to be the Atheros cards (not just in Acer equipment, in pretty much any netbook). For some reason on the last 3 firmware updates it hasnt been picking up the ruckus wireless as well as it should be. Acer sent us a netbook (with an atheros card) which had problems like before, but they then sent a notebook (with an intel broadcom card) and it worked flawlessly. To be sure that it wasnt just acer equipment, we got another school to come in with some of there netbooks which had atheros and it didnt like it either (they too were on the latest atheros firmware updates).

Acer are now speaking with Atheros in regards to this for us, in the hope that they will get their backsides into gear and get it working, as before the last 3 updates it worked fine.

The sales director from Acer has come into our place and seen the fault in action, and despite narrowing it down to the atheros card (which is obviously 3rd party), acer are still willing to take the hit, and have offered to also compensate the cost for number of man hours gone into this (which we worked out to be near 300 hours (using 3 techies) since April last year).

As such they have raised themselves in my standing for the service since getting to one of the big guys

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I don't mean to derail the thread, but this exact thing happened to us. We bought 45 Veritons that all came with US keyboards. Purchased from Misco, we spoke to our account manager who offered to replace all the keyboards at no cost to us. Perhaps speak with your supplier.

Acer - not the best at all. Have had many problems with our Acer hardware.
    Sorry - on the same tangent. Did they replace them with the snazzy Acer keyboards (slimline, volume wheel in corner etc) or just generic multimedia ones? Our supplier did sort out replacement multimedia keyboards but were in the same boat as us when it came to sourcing the actual Acer keyboards

Thank Post
    We ordered 32 acer travelmate laptops with intel 4965 dual band 11n cards and are very happy with them.

Ruckus has a word document that tells you if there are any issues with certain wireless cards, also with classroom sets of laptops we have a policy of making sure they all support 5ghz now to take the pressure of the 2.4ghz wireless that is more likely to get interference.

Thank Post
    Acer being useless? Is anyone surprised?

I was given one hell of a run-around over the exploding capacitors in Veritons issue a few years back. They kept replacing HDDs and wouldn't deviate from their repair script. In the end I replaced the capacitors in about 50-60 machines. 17 in each... I got quite good at it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last update in regards to this, we have come up with a solution that suits all.

They shall be taking back ALL 95 netbooks, and in return, we shall be getting 75 Acer Travelmate Timeline - which comes in ~£399. So they are going to be taking a HUGE hit on this!

RESULT for the little man!

Thank Post
    Glad to hear you had some success! Top notch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12