+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, Scan.co.uk not Honouring Warranty in Purchasing and Trading; ...

Thank Post

Scan.co.uk not Honouring Warranty

I bought a computer motherboard from a local Bolton company scan.co.uk. This went faulty after a year(it had a 2-3 year warranty on it). I followed their returns procedure at the beginning of the year and they confirmed the item was faulty and would send it off to the manufacturer for repair/replacement. I then had to chase Scan.co.uk for weeks/months to try and find out what was happening every time I was told I would have to wait. Eventually I forgot about the item and Scan conveniently didnít do anything to remind me. I phoned them up a month ago after being reminded and someone said they would look into it and get back to me which they didnít. I then phoned Scan up again this week and someone apologised and said they would get back to me. I then received an email saying they couldnít replace the item and offered me a refund of £5. Obviously I wasnít happy with that as I paid £32 + vat for the item and it would cost me that again to replace the item. Scan have refused to budge and havenít really provided me with a formal apology for making me wait so long.

It sounds as though this company is going downhill very quickly and will lose more money from me by treating me like an idiot than they are gaining by trying to rip me off

Robbie

Thank Post
    Looks like you are not alone, as mattx points out: Scan.co.uk - Don't order !!!

Thank Post
    I am giving them 14 days to rectify the problem and then taking them to small claims. I know its only £32+vat but to me it's the principal of the thing. I don't mind if it ends up costing me more than that to do it! I won't be bullied by a company who think they can pull stunts like this and get away with it!

Letter posted recorded today

Thank Post
    Threaten in writing to inform trading standards.

All goods come with a 6 year guarantee that is the responsibility of the retailer to honour.

Retailers keep secret EU law that gives consumers a TWO-year guarantee on goods | Mail Online

Thank Post
    Trading standards have gotten me to write this letter then they are going to take an active interest in it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Oh dear, someone else being ripped off by Scan.co.uk !! As someone has already pointed out - I've been ripped off by them too.
    Maybe we should now point out to them just how much bad press they are getting on Edugeek. Their customer services is nothing more than a joke to suit them. Good luck with your small claim.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stopped buying with them yonks ago.

They would change something that was brand new but faulty. I went down and kicked up a fuss in the store.

Thank Post
    I built a computer for someone and they insisted on using scan due to the cheap prices.
    The motherboard was faulty and we had a merry time getting them to accept it was faulty and to replace it. In the end, thankfully from using a credit card, I told him to refuse the entire purchase and return the £1,000 worth of kit for a full refund which the credit card company did.

Cant ever recomend this suplier, and they wont be getting any recommendations from me.

Thank Post
    Used them quite few times in the 5 years i've used them and the only problem i've had is with a tagan power supply which was a year old and suddently failed. Replaced no problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Personally I've not had any major problems with Scan, although it does seem you have to chase them a lot to get things done especially when getting refunds. I'm also not a fan of thier new ScanSure insurance crap, but at least they're not as bad as OverClockers UK who I will NEVER use again due to their non-existant customer service and the lies they told me when I had to return a faulty PSU to them (in the end I had to do it through the manufacturer even though it was thier responsibility to replace the item).

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never had any problems the few times I've used Scan, but Overclockers is a different story. They tried to rip us off when we placed a very large order with them for RAM. They lied to us about delivery - they said the order had been shipped when it hadn't. When we phoned up to enquire why it hadn't been delivered they said they couldn't get hold of it at the price originally advertised and that we weren't getting it and that they'd cancelled the order. It took us ages to get a refund. Very shoddy outfit. Avoid like the plague. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! At least I had the pleasure of calling them a word that rhymes with bankers over the phone.

Thank Post
    I think we all know they type of people who head up Scan.

Thank Post
    Arse, I bought all the parts for my new workhorse from Scan a couple of months ago... three years warranties on everything, too!

Edit: "warranties"

Thank Post
    I returned a hard drive to them as it was faulty - clunking noise

rang up after two weeks was told it was tested and not faulty. Had to pay to have it returned.

Started clunking as soon as I plugged it in. Had the drive replaced by the manufacturer.

Never got an apology or a refund from Scan.

Never used them again.

Thank Post
    I stopped ordering from Scum.co.uk over 8 yrs ago. Because I had the same problem.
    Now I call them Scum.co.uk and order from Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices I have not had a problem, not even 1.. But do tell them you will go to Watchdog if is not sorted soon.

And if you have anything with more than a 1 yr Warranty send it back to the makers..
    My mate owns a online shop and he recommends to send it back to the manufacture if it's over a year old.

i had problems with IBM HDs. With life time warranty i got IBM to pick them up and return them all for free... The HDs where 6 yrs old

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast