+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
Bad Experiences Thread, Scan.co.uk not Honouring Warranty in Purchasing and Trading; Originally Posted by mattx Why not just to the decent thing and either replace the item or offer a full ...
  1. #31
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Why not just to the decent thing and either replace the item or offer a full refund?
    Why? Of course, if you want to see prices increased in favour of "customer service" then your policy is the way forward.


    It's all very nice explaining & hiding behind various consumer clauses but this does not benefit the customer at all.
    Fact. The consumer had the product for almost 2 years. The vendor is actually not hiding behind clauses, they are complying.

    They would soon go out of business if they don't maximise profits.


    You only have to read the other posts to understand there are quite a few customers you have had in the past which are not very happy with your level of service - me being one of them.

    If want repeat business, cut the crap and offer a replacement or a full refund.
    Perhaps the consumer should "cut the crap" and not make unreasonable demands on retailers?

    £32 for a motherboard that failed after 2 years and now they are going to the small claims court??

    For heavens sake...

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    At the end of the day the SOGA pretty much amounts to reasonables and what one person thinks is reasonable the other may not, ultimately however, only a judge can rule on a case.

    As for the comments regarding the negatives of Scan, the same would apply for any company in the UK, again, the same negatives could be found for any single one of our competitors via a simple google search, no-one is perfect.

    I can say for a fact however there are many many postive comments for Scan, even this thread as negative as it is has some posts that are positive.

    We are human, we try our best but we have to accept we will never please everyone all of the time.

  3. #33

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,545
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Why? Of course, if you want to see prices increased in favour of "customer service" then your policy is the way forward.



    Fact. The consumer had the product for almost 2 years. The vendor is actually not hiding behind clauses, they are complying.

    They would soon go out of business if they don't maximise profits.



    Perhaps the consumer should "cut the crap" and not make unreasonable demands on retailers?

    £32 for a motherboard that failed after 2 years and now they are going to the small claims court??

    For heavens sake...
    Do you also lack simple business sense? (Not meaning to be offensive but it is a simple concept). Maximising profits is what a business should be doing, yes, but this is not done by messing customers around and, from what I've seen, lying, avoiding replacing items under warranty etc... Instead, it is by providing a service that a customer wants, and therefore will use again and again. This is why I use aria.co.uk - superb service every single time. This is why I don't use Dabs.com - they messed me around with a returned item.

    Simple maths - lose £30 now, and gain potentially £1000's in the future? Or keep £30 now and lose £1000s in the future.

  4. #34

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,545
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    At the end of the day the SOGA pretty much amounts to reasonables and what one person thinks is reasonable the other may not, ultimately however, only a judge can rule on a case.

    As for the comments regarding the negatives of Scan, the same would apply for any company in the UK, again, the same negatives could be found for any single one of our competitors via a simple google search, no-one is perfect.

    I can say for a fact however there are many many postive comments for Scan, even this thread as negative as it is has some posts that are positive.

    We are human, we try our best but we have to accept we will never please everyone all of the time.
    Only a judge can rule, or you can use common sense and realise that lost business = bad.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do you also lack simple business sense? (Not meaning to be offensive but it is a simple concept). Maximising profits is what a business should be doing, yes, but this is not done by messing customers around and, from what I've seen, lying, avoiding replacing items under warranty etc... Instead, it is by providing a service that a customer wants, and therefore will use again and again. This is why I use aria.co.uk - superb service every single time. This is why I don't use Dabs.com - they messed me around with a returned item.

    Simple maths - lose £30 now, and gain potentially £1000's in the future? Or keep £30 now and lose £1000s in the future.
    Ok, just to prove a point you mention "This is why I use aria.co.uk - superb service every single time."

    A quick Google search against Aria and the very first link provided by google "I strongly advise anyone NOT to purchase ANYTHING from aria as they are abyssmal"

    Why?

    Simple - because no company can ever be perfect ! FACT

  6. #36

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,545
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    Ok, just to prove a point you mention "This is why I use aria.co.uk - superb service every single time."

    A quick Google search against Aria and the very first link provided by google "I strongly advise anyone NOT to purchase ANYTHING from aria as they are abyssmal"

    Why?

    Simple - because no company can ever be perfect ! FACT
    I know, but you are arguing a pointless argument!!!! Please follow what I said, about your policies being poor. About your business preferring £30 in the pocket now that the potential for £1000s in the future. I know you likely have no control over these policies yourself, but you do have the ability to point your managers here and show what they look like to a group of professionals with a combined buying power that reaches into multiple millions of pounds. Having a company representative like yourself come here and spend your time arguing that the customer is in the wrong, and you're being fair simply makes the company look even worse!!!

  7. #37
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Do you also lack simple business sense? (Not meaning to be offensive but it is a simple concept). Maximising profits is what a business should be doing, yes, but this is not done by messing customers around and, from what I've seen, lying, avoiding replacing items under warranty etc... Instead, it is by providing a service that a customer wants, and therefore will use again and again. This is why I use aria.co.uk - superb service every single time. This is why I don't use Dabs.com - they messed me around with a returned item.

    Simple maths - lose £30 now, and gain potentially £1000's in the future? Or keep £30 now and lose £1000s in the future.
    Or lose £30 now, period.
    Either way, easy argument to make, impossible to prove.

    In respect of business sense, yes, I have plenty - Having run my own successful business for almost 6 years, and being voted "most popular trader" would indicate I have a lot of business sense and a lot of knowledge about consumer relations. I only gave it up due to ill health otherwise I'd still be doing it.

    Scan may have messed this customer around, but he has no significant claim with them when the law is applied, and the law is all that Scan are applying.

    I wasn't discussing the merits of their customer service you'll note, but agree it hasn't exactly been particularly good.

  8. #38

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,545
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Or lose £30 now, period.
    Either way, easy argument to make, impossible to prove..
    Oh, it's easy to prove! ie. I won't be buying from them. And as I said, I would have considered it had I not seen the earlier complaints on this site. I was actively looking for new suppliers around the time mattx posted his complaint about them.

    The accounting term for this is 'Goodwill' ie. the non-physical value of reputation, customer loyalty and other non-physical assets.

    This is actively used in accounting when valuing a company. So, if a customer has bought from your company a few times in a year, you can value your company the next year to include the potential purchases that that customer may make. This is used when a business is being bought/sold really, but it also is useful for figuring out sales potential and goals for each quarter etc...
    Last edited by localzuk; 17th June 2009 at 01:35 PM.

  9. #39

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,486
    Thank Post
    1,570
    Thanked 459 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    And still the point everyone is avoiding to answer... if it was in warranty it should be replaced regardless right?

    A car warranty has an X Year or Y Miles clause assuming heavy use, a Motherboard does not have a X Year or X boot/reboot warranty so the same assumption surely cant be made?

  10. #40
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh, it's easy to prove! ie. I won't be buying from them. And as I said, I would have considered it had I not seen the earlier complaints on this site. I was actively looking for new suppliers around the time mattx posted his complaint about them.
    That's not proving your argument at all, but I don't expect you to see that point of view as you have quite clearly made your mind up. You seem to have a very narrow viewpoint.

    You are seeing this issue from nowhere other than an aggrieved consumer when in actual fact, you seemingly have no involvement with Scan other than this thread and have subsequently jumped on the oh so familiar soapbox that is the Internet forum to berate a vendor who is sticking to his rights.

    Don't lose sight of the facts in law, not what you think should apply in policy.

    Scan are simply applying the law, the fact that you don't like their policy makes it personal and nothing more.

  11. #41
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    And still the point everyone is avoiding to answer... if it was in warranty it should be replaced regardless right?
    No, not quite. If it is in warranty, the vendor can offer a repair, replacement or refund. The latter can allow for previous use of the product, in this case, almost 2 years worth.

    Car analogy's rarely work either.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,748
    Thank Post
    79
    Thanked 288 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    i wont be using them if this is how they do business.

  13. #43
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    i wont be using them if this is how they do business.
    You've just ruled out a 1001+ businesses you won't be dealing with then - yes?

    Admittedly, Scan haven't excelled in customer service on this one, but I very much doubt it's how they do business overall.

    Don't fall into the trap of 'soapbox' judgement.

  14. #44

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,071
    Thank Post
    379
    Thanked 428 Times in 317 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Maximising profits is what a business should be doing, yes, but this is not done by messing customers around and, from what I've seen, lying, avoiding replacing items under warranty.
    Dont forget I had to pay to get an item back that was clearly faulty. Another case of maximising profits?
    Dont get me wrong I was very happy with the level of service I was getting up to this point its just things like this destroy my confidence in a company and as a result I am now using other suppliers.

    remember a happy customer will tell somebody an unhappy customer will tell everybody.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Scan.co.uk - Don't order !!!
    By mattx in forum Bad Experiences
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 9th September 2011, 08:54 PM
  2. Scan to SIMS
    By rob998 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th June 2009, 10:31 PM
  3. Do you want to scan and fix
    By conehead in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 3rd May 2009, 12:01 PM
  4. VNC Scan
    By Rozzer in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th January 2008, 05:12 PM
  5. First Scan
    By Gatt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th October 2006, 01:21 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •