+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, Scan.co.uk - Don't order !!! in Purchasing and Trading; Originally Posted by Michael Could you provide a link for everyone's reference? I do understand the DSR, but because I ...
    theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Could you provide a link for everyone's reference? I do understand the DSR, but because I do not charge a re-stocking fee, I've never had this problem. If it is true, then mattx can also use this information.
    The Office of Fair Trading's website has all the information you need.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fac...page38102.html gives you some quick facts.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 15th September 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I did some quick research and it's true, you can't charge a re-stocking fee if returning within 7 working days, however they are within their rights to charge for returning the item. Unless the DVD player is made out of gold, the charge does seem a little excessive to me. I have to ask how much is the DVD player itself!

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    ...i am 100% sure he is correct.
    I KNOW I'm correct.

theeldergeek
    I did some quick research and it's true, you can't charge a re-stocking fee if returning within 7 working days, however they are within their rights to charge for returning the item. Unless the DVD player is made out of gold, the charge does seem a little excessive to me. I have to ask how much is the DVD player itself!
    They CANNOT charge for the return unless they arrange direct collection on your behalf. If you choose to send it by, for example, Royal Mail, the onus is on you to ensure the item is packaged properly etc, and to pay for it. If you return goods in that manner, the vendor has no right to levy any fee on you whatsoever.

It's a bit worrying how many of you don't know your legal and statutory rights!

Thank Post
    Only under the long distance sellers act. He should use the Sale of Goods act if he wants all of his money back, but as they are trying to say the item is not faulty he might be in for a fight.

IMO business's are getting too clever in which laws they want to obey. The office of fair trading should have more power to fine companies who try to get away with lieing to their customers and breaking the law.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you return goods in that manner, the vendor has no right to levy any fee on you whatsoever.
    Well this is exactly what Scan have done. They've tested the product, found no fault so are going to return the item at the customers expense. If the vendor ended up paying, no company would make profit. Profit margins on hardware are not huge.

theeldergeek
    Well this is exactly what Scan have done. They've tested the product, found no fault so are going to return the item at the customers expense. If the vendor ended up paying, no company would make profit. Profit margins on hardware are not huge.
    Which is why I was saying that the DSR does not apply here, it is the SOGA that the purchaser needs to apply, which is a very different kettle of fish. I think you miss the point.

The purchaser was quoting 7 day returns at SCAN, presumably because he thought that's what he got when purchasing something. He does, but only if he changed his mind, not if the product is faulty, or unless SCAN offer this in addition to his statutory rights.

If the product isn't working, the buyer needs to be going down a different route.

Don't confuse what SCAN have done with what should have been done, and (some of) the bad advice being offered here. AFAICT, SCAN have acted appropriately until the item is proven to be faulty.

One piece of advice I always give, is to make a note of the serial number of the faulty item you are returning. If the vendor then tries it on and sends you a replacement that they say is the original, and is working, you can catch them out. It happened to me some while ago.

Thank Post
    A number of years ago I returned a hard drive to them that was obviously clunking they tested it found no faullt with and charged me 25 quid for the privilege. When it was returned to me it started clunking as soon as I plugged it in. I returned it to the drives manufacturer and they confirmed it as faulty and replaced it straight away. I never did get my 25 quid back.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I never did get my 25 quid back.
    ddos?

[ONLY JOKING!]
    Last edited by tech_guy; 15th September 2008 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    From what I have read here, Scan have done nothing wrong. The first question would have to be whether the player was advertised as being able to play these discs or if you just assumed it would because the model it replaces did?

Also, £15 charge for Scan to send a courier to collect the player for return does not sound excessive. If the drive is at fault, I would expect that to be refunded.

Also, did you offer to send a sample disc that you believe should work? If not, how could they prove it was faulty or not? - Just a thought!

I've always received a good level of customer service from Scan, admittedly I usually use the counter service but it's all the same guys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Well I rang my credit card company and they are stopping the payment to Scan - I shall fill out the paper work when I get it and we shall take it from there.

They certainly know how to con and rip off customers with their terms and conditions - I suppose I should have read them - [ they tend to go on for a bit ] - but when ordering a £45 DVD player etc you don't expect to run into these sorts of problems.
    So at the moment I have no DVD player [ as I returned it ] and for returning faulty goods they say work, they have charged me £25.
    I should have got £25 out my wallet and wiped my arse with it because everything from that company at the moment is nothing but sht

If the recession starts hitting really hard and scan.co.uk start suffering because of it I shall laugh my socks off.
    This is not customer service from them - its stealing - plain & simple. And I thought the likes of DABS & Acer were bad.....

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Well I rang my credit card company and they are stopping the payment to Scan - I shall fill out the paper work when I get it and we shall take it from there.

They certainly know how to con and rip off customers with their terms and conditions - I suppose I should have read them - [ they tend to go on for a bit ] - but when ordering a £45 DVD player etc you don't expect to run into these sorts of problems.
    So at the moment I have no DVD player [ as I returned it ] and for returning faulty goods they say work, they have charged me £25.
    I should have got £25 out my wallet and wiped my arse with it because everything from that company at the moment is nothing but sht

If the recession starts hitting really hard and scan.co.uk start suffering because of it I shall laugh my socks off.
    This is not customer service from them - its stealing - plain & simple. And I thought the likes of DABS & Acer were bad.....
    Oh god don't mention Dabs - twice last week the muppets let me down on orders. Twice I ordered items that were shown on the website to be in stock, only to have an email the day after or even the day after that to say that they were awaiting delivery from their suppliers...... , and !

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I am being currently conned by scan.co.uk
    I bought a DVD player from them which was faulty - it did not play a single 8 gig dual layer disc I have burnt - [ The older model [ same make ] plays them without a problem - they are now CHARGING ME £25 re-stocking and a no fault found fee !!
    Is the "older model" the same part number?

This is clearly a complete con by them not to refund a full amout - good thing I got it on my credit card as I shall be contacting them shortly [ after I have asked Scan.co.uk to refund the full amount first or have to deal with my credit card company ]
    Its amazing what these retailers will try and do to squeeze money out of you.
    Note that in the case of faulty goods being sold by a mail order company they are responsible for all shipping costs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    No idea, it was such a long time ago - all i know is SCAM.co.uk are a shoddy outfit.

Thank Post

Scum, Scan, Scam. Please spread the word.

Scan ripped me off as well. Seems like there's too many of us now.

Sold me over 1100 pounds worth of PC equipment including high end cooling.

GPU was faulty but it wasn't until just over a year that I realized it wasn't a driver issue.

They were rude, ignored my emails and eventually offered me less a third the value back after making me incur postage costs. The reason given was that they kept over half my money for usage deductions. If that was the case I could of got more money second hand. That is a joke, i mean a bicycle has wear and tear - my GPU was sitting inside a 100pound spacious premium cooled case bought at the same time from Scan. No dust, no wear. Why on earth would such a large deduction take place. My GPU was the same price online when I applied for a refund as when I bought it (due to there being less around and a benefit to SLI users boosting price).

When I started a legal case they immediately put the small refund in my account and tried to claim I'd already accepted a refund. They then wrote to the judge claiming that the value of the GPU was now way less by using the price in dollars and converting to pounds. As we all know it doesn't work like that. The US has cheaper parts. The UK equivalent was about 30% more. They were purposely misleading the judge. For some unknown reason when I took them to court my case wasn't heard and no reason was given (after I paid all the fees for a second time). I will now be contacting Watchdog again as well as other trading standards related shows/publications and posting reviews to inform as many people as possible to avoid them. The Scan representative on here ironically is the same one who was extremely rude and unprofessional via email and it just goes to show what kind of company they are. Hopefully there'll be some decent media exposure soon as people need to know these guys don't honor UK/EU Sale of Goods law.

Like the school worker here, I have recommended that our company no longer uses Scan. Please spread the word.

Shame on Scum, Scam, Scan.co.uk.

*Sources*
    Here are other people suffering at their hands (a quick 2sec search on google):

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?306351-Scan.co.uk-faulty-new-laptop-via-the-website-refusing-refund]Scan.co.uk]Scan.co.uk faulty new laptop via the website - refusing refund faulty new laptop via the website - refusing refund

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3241756]MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

edugeek.net/forums/bad-experiences/37047-scan-co-uk-not-honouring-warranty-2.html
    Last edited by ScanSuck; 8th September 2011 at 10:47 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast