+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, Another reason not to choose Acer in Purchasing and Trading; Only a six month warranty on all accessories. While it might only be a dead keyboard that can be replaced ...
    Thank Post

Another reason not to choose Acer

Only a six month warranty on all accessories.

While it might only be a dead keyboard that can be replaced for a few pounds, its the principle of the thing. Other suppliers honour a full twelve months warranty on all equipment.

Thank Post
    Im quite sure they cant do that.

Thank Post
    Their latest email:

The duration of the warranty for specific items / accessories can be specified by the manufacturer. if a manufacturer so wished, they would not have to supply a warranty of any kind with an item they sell, however as a responsible manufacturer most offer what they consider a reasonable period for items. In your case 1 Year Standard Warranty for the machine itself, and 6 months warranty with any accessories included with the machine.

If you feel the problems you have experienced are due to an unreasonable fault and/or you require a refund , replacement or free repairs , then you must pursue the matter with your retailer.

The warranty and your statutory rights are two separate things, when you buy goods from a retailer, you enter into a contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This contract holds the retailer liable for up to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can show that the problem you have experienced is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear and tear

Thank Post
    I should think it's fairly safe to say that it could reasonably be expected to have a keyboard last more than six months... which is all you need to prove for it to be replaced by the retailer....

Thank Post
    Doesnt suprise me they only put a 6 month warranty on it - thankfully we only have a few remaining acer laptops but they are just shocking. I'd never buy acer stuff EVER - you really do get what you pay for!

Thank Post

and the other side of the argument

I may be tempting fate here, but I have 20 Acer laptops. They are over four years old now and I've never had any bother with them at all. They are wireless used on a daily basis in any number of classrooms.

Thank Post
    If you buy from any authorised dealer, you are covered by the sale of goods act and have a standard 1 year guarantee. The guarantee the manufacturer gives is in addition to this and does not affect your statuary rights.

Don't buy direct ... Its not always better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have an Acer desktop and its great but I had an Acer laptop once and it was rubbish

Thank Post
    I've had a nightmare with acer over various years. The old laptops for teachers travelmates. nearly every screen on those goes after two years. Then just when we decided to give them another go, we get sent a machine where the power junction on the back is broken on arrival!. Thats ok. It's only one machine after all. So I ring acer, who tell me that I must have broken it and that it will be a new mobo. At our cost!

Whats that number for HP again?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    I have a Ferrari and it is great, but i had a mini once and it was rubbish!!!

Thank Post
    We have around 100 Acer laptops (various models of various ages) and they have proved more reliable than any Toshiba or HP laptop we have, without exception.

Acer's repair service is actually not run by Acer themselves, but rather by Esplex, and I will admit that you need to be firm with them else they'll give you the run-around.

Overall I rate Acer laptops very high. Of all the brands of laptops we have tried having students use the Acers have proved themselves the most durable.

Thank Post
    The cheap warranties on laptops is why I bought some previously but after returning a TFT and having to wait 2 months to get it back turned me off them... and when the monitor came back none of the front buttons worked.

I am sticking with HP, was very impressed with there NBD service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    If you buy from any authorised dealer, you are covered by the sale of goods act and have a standard 1 year guarantee. The guarantee the manufacturer gives is in addition to this and does not affect your statutory rights.
    It's not quite as simple as that. There's a good document here which admittedly shows things from the manufacturer's point of view but it matches what I've seen elsewhere from a consumer point of view.

If the accessories (in this case) were faulty in the way they were manufactured and that fault existed when they were sold then you have rights. If they were made to the standard specified by the manufacturer and that standard is just not very good so the items wear out quickly then you basically have no real rights.

The classic examples are things like clothes and shoes. If you pay (say) £50 for a shirt then you can reasonably expect that the stitching and general manufacture will be better than if you pay £5. The cheaper shirt may well wear out more quickly (stitching come undone, cloth wear through or tear) but you should expect that - it cost very much less - and you have no redress in law because it has suffered the expected wear and tear.

Thank Post
    I was about to start a new thread saying how dire ACER technical support is when I saw this thread.

We bought a batch of ACER Extensa E210 desktops last summer. The power supply has failed on one of them. The idiot at the call centre is insistant that I give him the local administrator password. What he does not understand is that I would have to liquidate him if I gave him that information.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    I was about to start a new thread saying how dire ACER technical support is when I saw this thread.

We bought a batch of ACER Extensa E210 desktops last summer. The power supply has failed on one of them. The idiot at the call centre is insistant that I give him the local administrator password. What he does not understand is that I would have to liquidate him if I gave him that information.
    Not quite sure why he wants the password - are they asking for the machine to be returned? If so, I'd guess they want to log on and test it or, if they're sending someone out to fix it then I'd guess they have a standard test procedure on site and they don't want to be in a position where they can't log on to a machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast