+ Post New Thread
Bad Experiences Thread, BoardWorks VLE in Purchasing and Trading; I had high hopes for this, having seen some of the Heinemann VLE software. I have 2 gripes. Firstly they ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

BoardWorks VLE

I had high hopes for this, having seen some of the Heinemann VLE software.
    I have 2 gripes. Firstly they could have done a really good job, flash based learning resources. Instead they put a XML SCORM wrapper around their shoddy powerpoints.

Secondly - I can't even use it on a VLE for remote learing ! FFS!!!
    according to the license agreement for the "VLE compliant" version of boardworks:

The licence agreement specifically prohibits copying, distributing or reproducing any presentations, individual slides, any text, any of the Flash movies, any of the software products, or any parts thereof
    onto any computer or any electronic storage medium outside the licensed school, or
    onto any Internet web site, or
    onto any network which permits downloads or use of this material from outside the licensed school
    I can only use the vle version on an internal vle, WHATS THE POINT.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There powerpoints are very good and used very well here people say "just a bunch of powerpoints" but when you look at them they are very good t & l resources with flash apps embedded into them.

AS for vle license I would get them to confirm as that sounds like old license and wonder if someone forgot to update it. Maybe it means can use it on your vle but not on another schools vle etc

Russ

Thank Post
    I'll call them tomorrow to confirm, but I stick by the shoddy powerpoints comment as it completely detracts from the point of online content - I may as well have a mapped network drive. If they are going to make vle content, they could easily upload their swf's into a scorm and make the rest html. It should be embedded content, thats how VLE's should work. I'd re-package it myself if the license would let me.....

Thank Post
    I think Boardworks produces a "lite" version for use on a VLE, not as a rich as the content you know, i.e. it will load faster etc.

Thank Post
    That license agreement does sound a little non-sensicle for a product designed for use on the web.

Of course, there's nothing stopping the staff taking the original Boardworks materials and using those on your VLE (except a little work). The problem I have with staff is tryong to persuade them to hack a;part the provided PPTs and create their own custom ones. This is a really flexible resource that they could taylor to their lessons but they just won't spend time doing it - FFS... you could change the slide master at least!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Of course, there's nothing stopping the staff taking the original Boardworks materials and using those on your VLE (except a little work).

Sadly thats not allowed either .....
    It is forbidden to extract the embedded content (including, but not limited to, Flash, images or sounds) from the PowerPoint presentations and use them in any other medium other than other PowerPoint presentations.

Thank Post
    @CyberNerd: Doesn't say you cannot upload said PPTs to your VLE. There is a caluse that they cannot be transfered to another school though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread