+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Bad Experiences Thread, Fasthosts in Purchasing and Trading; Originally Posted by intrigue well speaking of website security when i worked at longslade community college the embc or someone ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Fasthosts

Quote Originally Posted by intrigue
    well speaking of website security when i worked at longslade community college the embc or someone similar hosted their websites and the username and password for FTP was something like "siteID" "tuesday" then you got logged into the folder /siteID/ out of interest i went up a folder and could happily download/remove the websites of over 150 schools (i obviously didnt) but was shocked about the lack of permission based security.

Not surprising though as we all know these consortiums are ran by cowboys.
    matt
    Hi Matt

The problem with EMBC (as with many RBCs) is that when they set things up they do it in bulk, and then pass it on to the LAs to change things or train schools how to.

This is one of the problems that is happening with moving to the new contract, ensurig that the data is clean and that schools, LAs, EMBC and Synetrix all know who has what information and that everyone is happy.

It is ... erm ... interesting.

The scariest thing is working out how many schools just have site level filtering set at level one and *don't* have any internal filters either.

Thank Post

guy i work with once had an interview for fasthosts, he says his first impression was not knowing where he was going, turning a corner into an open door and where did he find himself? stood in there server room :|

Thank Post

I have a theory on hosting companies, that they go in cycles of good -> rubbish -> good. @ninjabeaver, I used to use 123-reg in their Webfusion guise, and had excellent service for a couple of years followed by a period of torment that prompted me to move some stuff over to Fasthosts. Webfusion fixed their infrastructure problems and appear to be OK again.

While I haven't had much in the way of direct problems with Fasthosts, I currently have a support issue unrelated to the current security problems, but haven't been able to access their support line 'cause it's been engaged, presumably with irate people who can't access their servers.

I managed to edge into the queue (at 35th place!) this evening - 3.5 hours ago! Am now third in the queue.

Wonder if my call is important to them?

Oh! Just been bumped up to second!

Best case scenario: knowledgable person fixes problem in 5 minutes
    Worst case scenario: numbnut cuts me off

What do you reckon will happen?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts

I also used Fasthosts once (on their dedicated service), but then I moved to their shared or semi dedicated service which has proven to be much better value for money!

Fasthosts undoubtedly have made a very, very, very stupid error, as this problem originated from their user logon page which was not secured using SSL. They've also included an image verifier so must type out the relevant letters. Does this have a proper name?

I feel the reason(s) to change everyone's passwords is simply because they had no real indication of how much information (if any at all) was leaked, so they had no choice. The situation could be a lot worse than it is now, but we'll never know for sure.

They have seriously damaged their reputation and I can only imagine their phone lines have been buzzing over the last few months now. Hopefully lessons have been learned, however on a positive, there haven't been any reports of websites hacked or modified, or anyone losing money as a result and this is all a precautionary measure.

For the time being I will be staying with Fasthosts, but, the next 12 months should be interesting and hopefully this will never happen again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    They've also included an image verifier so must type out the relevant letters. Does this have a proper name?
    CAPTCHA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    I've just had another bad experience with Fasthosts - this time, they've renewed a domain and taken payment for it, without notification that this was due to happen, and are refusing to refund it. It's only a few pounds, but that's not really the point. If you fleece every customer for a couple of quid, you'll soon make a fortune! (particularly if you supplement your income by selling customer email addresses as ChrisP suggests!
    Fasthosts have (for some time) adopted a policy whereby domains are automatically renewed for your convenience (as they put it), but as you say, in practice it means if you don't opt out it will get renewed.

Ironically I suspect I will receive lots of reminder e-mails when some of my other domains are up for renewal which I no longer use. It's all about money this game.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Fasthosts have (for some time) adopted a policy whereby domains are automatically renewed for your convenience (as they put it), but as you say, in practice it means if you don't opt out it will get renewed.

Ironically I suspect I will receive lots of reminder e-mails when some of my other domains are up for renewal which I no longer use. It's all about money this game.
    This is actually normal practice in the hosting industry, and we have the same policy. If you have a credit/debit card on file and have not switched off the option for automatic renewal the domain will be automatically renewed.

We do send plenty of reminders before the renewal though.

Automation all the way!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12