+ Post New Thread
Bad Experiences Thread, Lenovo SL500 laptop series in Purchasing and Trading; We have a few of these. So far, the left laptop hinge has snapped in exactly the same place snapped ...

Thank Post

Lenovo SL500 laptop series

We have a few of these. So far, the left laptop hinge has snapped in exactly the same place snapped on 4 laptops. Jeff The Destroyer wasn't involved - this was general Open/Close use. It's always the left one because there's a overly-large hole right on a stress point.

Hinge-01.jpg Hinge-02.jpg

On top of that, the power jack is attached poorly (weak plastic clips on the tray of the laptop). If used (plugged/unplugged) for a couple of years, it will become loose in the casing because the clips have snapped. The fix is to replace the laptop tray every couple of years or (if it's out of warranty), clean up the area, shim the jack with spare plastic and weld in place with two-part epoxy for a permanent fix.

But Pete, those are business-class laptops, surely? No - they're not. Lenovo would like them to be seen as such, but if a Tesco Value Laptop existed, it'd have better build quality and design choices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Yep had a batch of 8 of these and all have had exactly the same issues. Each time Lenovo said it was user damage, and each time I had to complain until they fixed it. Utter rubbish and disgusting warranty support.

Thank Post
    And make that 5. FFS. Also a reasonably careful user.

All the leverage from the screen movement is borne by less than a cm of metal on each hinge. Only one side is anchored. There's no wonder they crack.

Now 5 laptops.jpeg

The HPs don't have this problem. They do have random chemistry teachers spilling acid and curry on them, but that's not really a design flaw.
    Last edited by pete; 15th March 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At that point I believe you are well within your rights to get hold of Lenovo and demaned that it is clearly a manufacturing fault. As you won't be able to fall on the Sale of Goods act, you can at least make it very clear you intend to make your findings extremely public, especially as you know you're not alone. Demand to speak to their complaints department and don't let off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I think this could well be a manufacturing fault because we've had 25 of these without any problems.
    I do agree about the stupid power supply port problem, that has failed on 3 or 4 of ours - but it is easily fixable and the dismantling instructions for lenovo are awesome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arrrrghhhh. Mine snapped yesterday!
    I'm going to order spare hinges today, but if anyone can provide a link to a guide on how to replace the L/H hinge it would be much appreciated.
    I do notice the Lenovo forums are full of complaints about these snapping, but little in the way of recognition of the problem from Lenovo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    a link to a guide on how to replace the L/H hinge it would be much appreciated.
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread