+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, NS Optimum in Purchasing and Trading; They now have an unsubscribe link on the bottom of their mail shots - not that I've used it... we're ...
    Thank Post
    They now have an unsubscribe link on the bottom of their mail shots - not that I've used it... we're currently a happy customer of theirs.

Good luck with the interview D3Ranged, they've had their ups and downs as with any company but in general they're not as bad as this thread makes them out to be, at least not in my experience(mid 2006+).

Thank Post
    Just thought I'd thrown my 2p into this forum as the school i now work for used to use them religiously.
    Basically we haven't used them for about a year now so i can't comment on any changes that have happened in the last year, but before that i can comment highly on.

Cabling:

We have had multiple cabling installs done by them, some absolutely fine (ok not testing results where shown to us but the actually lines all fines)
    Although we have some cable installs by them that have been just been totally shocking after they left, no labeling not i the correct order, random lines not working at all. So basically it seems to be pot luck if its gonna be a good install or not

Hence why we now do all are own cabling!

Engineers:

Personally i can't say anything bad about the engineers they have always been really friendly, good communication skills, and extremely knowledgeable, solving most issues we met within a short period of time and was very useful to be able to call them for a quick bit of advise. Although i only met 3 or 4 of the engineers although i knew Alan and Eric well and couldn't of asked for better! (Although i am aware that both these engineers have now left NS)

Hardware:

We still have allot of NS machines in are school although we are getting rod of them as suits get replaced, basically we have had to send allot back considering they encounter random MB problems, and Hard drive issues is another one we see allot of from there machines, Hence why personally we wont buy any hardware from them any more!

Also some of these machines we have sent back, we haven't heard anything at all about it then it suddenly appears about a month later (this was simply a few months ago) which personally i see as an extremely long time to switch out a motherboard.

But anyway there's my 2p... But basically we dont use them any more

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    Hi All,

I may be entering the lionís den but I am an employee of NS Optimum and have been for 6 years+

There are obviously some negative and positive posts about NS Optimum in the forum and Iím not posting here to contest your opinions but I feel it's important that you all to have a point of contact so that if you have any issues, you have a point of contact through Edugeek.

I will not get involved with any posts discussing NS Optimum unless directly requested to do so.

I am in a position where I can put forward any genuine & realistic concerns & suggestions to senior management sales/marketing and operations meetings and put across your views to be taken into consideration. Either PM me or if you would rather get a response publically then let me know in your post.

Thanks

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NS_Optimum_Ltd View Post
    Hi All,

I may be entering the lionís den but I am an employee of NS Optimum and have been for 6 years+

There are obviously some negative and positive posts about NS Optimum in the forum and Iím not posting here to contest your opinions but I feel it's important that you all to have a point of contact so that if you have any issues, you have a point of contact through Edugeek.

I will not get involved with any posts discussing NS Optimum unless directly requested to do so.

I am in a position where I can put forward any genuine & realistic concerns & suggestions to senior management sales/marketing and operations meetings and put across your views to be taken into consideration. Either PM me or if you would rather get a response publically then let me know in your post.

Thanks

Rob
    I think the first thing to do then is to put in place some mechanism whereby we don't get sales call after sales call despite saying we're not looking at any new suppliers and asking not to be called again. It's a bad enough time of year as it is for cold calls, but I'm sick of repeating myself to the sales team there.

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    I think the first thing to do then is to put in place some mechanism whereby we don't get sales call after sales call despite saying we're not looking at any new suppliers and asking not to be called again. It's a bad enough time of year as it is for cold calls, but I'm sick of repeating myself to the sales team there.

Hi,

If you can PM me with your school details I can certainly put a note on our system that will prevent you from being called again, I can set that so you won't be called for 3 months, 6 months or completely remove your details from the system.

regards

Rob

Thank Post
    It's been a while; but NS Optimum have stuck again!

After ALOT of hassle removing myself from the marketing list that used to be sent. I was contacted by Aaron (via phone). He seemed to be friendly and apologetic. Being the sap I am, i decided to give them another chance and explicitly told him he can have my address on the condition I am not on any mailing lists.

This morning I have received a bulk marketing email from Hannah.

Sorry NS Optimum. Thatís the last straw. I have sent an e-mail to sales, operations, Aaron and Hannah... perhaps not necessary to send to all of them... but maybe someone will get the message.

"NS_Optimum_Ltd", I have also sent you a PM.

I stated in the e-mail if I receive any more then your domain will be added to our black list; all calls will be rejected and the company will be reported to ofcom.

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    It's been a while; but NS Optimum have stuck again!

After ALOT of hassle removing myself from the marketing list that used to be sent. I was contacted by Aaron (via phone). He seemed to be friendly and apologetic. Being the sap I am, i decided to give them another chance and explicitly told him he can have my address on the condition I am not on any mailing lists.

This morning I have received a bulk marketing email from Hannah.

Sorry NS Optimum. Thatís the last straw. I have sent an e-mail to sales, operations, Aaron and Hannah... perhaps not necessary to send to all of them... but maybe someone will get the message.

"NS_Optimum_Ltd", I have also sent you a PM.

I stated in the e-mail if I receive any more then your domain will be added to our black list; all calls will be rejected and the company will be reported to ofcom.

Hi,

Thanks for your email and PM - I have removed you from our marketing list.

However I must stress that if you gave your email address to my colleague during his last phone call to you then he will have added it to our system, there is no other reason for us to have your email address unless you were requesting quotes. If the latter is the case then you could state that you would like quotes and not marketing material. If you are not looking for any quotes then I would suggest that you do not give our staff your email address.

I will respond to your PM too.

Thanks

Rob

Thank Post
    The last post from NS really sums it up. I gave up on NS 3 or 4 years ago, I don't understand how they get any busiiness at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    The last post from NS really sums it up. I gave up on NS 3 or 4 years ago, I don't understand how they get any busiiness at all.
    I agree the attitude stinks a bit, I am happy for suppliers to have my address so I can receive quotes easily so long as I don't get sent marketing emails and my suppliers are happy with that.

Surely it is easy to have a customers details on file but not send them lots of emails! Saying that you shouldn't have given our staff your email address seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot ever so slightly!

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    I really do appreciate where you are coming from as I find marketing frustrating myself especially in TV adverts in the middle of a good film or leaflets scattering the floor by your front door...

The hard truth is that all successful companies have to market their products or services by either email, TV, door-to-door, magazines, leaflets, exhibitions, cold-calling, approaching you in the streets, bill-boards etc etc - This frustrates some people that are not interested however others that are looking for a good deal or special offer are very receptive. Some people just respond to the marketing when they require something and ignore it when they do not. Marketers can not always please everyone with every marketing method.

In our case, we keep our marketing costs down to a minimum by utilising email marketing and combining this with cold-calling and presenting at various exhibitions. By keeping our marketing costs low, we can provide our customers with lower prices which is very well recieved amongst thousands of NS Optimum customers that are given smaller budgets and expected to still achieve the same level of ICT efficiency.

The reason I posted on Edugeek a few weeks back and gave you all a point of contact is that I realise there are people here that wish not to be contacted by NS and I'm giving you an easy root to opt out. Just PM me your email addresses and I will gladly remove you from our mailings or completely from our system if you would rather.

Regards

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NS_Optimum_Ltd View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your email and PM - I have removed you from our marketing list.

However I must stress that if you gave your email address to my colleague during his last phone call to you then he will have added it to our system, there is no other reason for us to have your email address unless you were requesting quotes. If the latter is the case then you could state that you would like quotes and not marketing material. If you are not looking for any quotes then I would suggest that you do not give our staff your email address.

I will respond to your PM too.

Thanks

Rob
    Thanks Rob... hopefully this will be the end of it. However, I did say in my first post that when Aaron spoke to me; I said he could have my contact details on the condition that I was not added to any mailing lists... evidently I was. I have since had an e-mail from him explaining that it was a mistake that I was added.

As far as I'm concerned the matter is resolved. I've made it clear what will happen should I receive another marketing e-mail.

I understand where companies are with marketing. There certainly is no way to please everyone. However I think I speak for most of the people who have posted in this thread when I say the issue here isnít the method of marketing, it's the fact that we've all requested to be removed and have had issues getting removed ranging from being ignored to being removed and then re-added (and in some cases; worse).

Donít forget; we *need* suppliers; and more to the point, we have a requirement (especially on large projects) to contact a number of suppliers. But if we have issues with the supplier at the stage where quotes havenít even been requested... it makes it difficult for us to want to deal further (considering there's 100's of other companies out there who can do the same but without the hassle!).

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    That is fair and thanks for your feedback - I promise you that I am taking this thread seriously and do discuss the things that are said in any marketing & development meetings I am involved in. We are constantly making changes and these will hopefully be noticed by you all in the fullness of time.

Regards

Rob

Thank Post
    We got a suite of NS Optimums about 18 months ago. All went swimmingly for the first 6 months and we were so happy with the first set that we kitted out 2 more rooms with them. A couple more months down the line and one by one they start to go wrong.

The most common fault is that the screens go pink and they have to go back to have their motherboards replaced. While this is an annoyance in itself, it's even more annoying that it has taken up to 3 months for them to repair one of them. It's not the same machine every time either, the 'bug' seems to be working it's way round one at a time.

There's also the odd glitch that the computers don't get past the BIOS screen periodically which happens to pretty much all of them. It's a simple case of turning them off and back on, but annoying when it gets me out of my chair for baffled teachers who's "computer won't come on".

It was also annoying how they all shipped with Vista, even though we specified that we wanted XP installed. The argued that we could still install XP under downgrade rights, but only supplied us with Vista product keys and had to send us XP product keys separately. We had to re-image the whole lot which was a very time consuming process.

In future we will stick with RM PCs which you can just plug into the network and they're ready to turn themselves into CC3 stations. Much more simple and far less time-consuming.

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by shayes View Post
    We got a suite of NS Optimums about 18 months ago. All went swimmingly for the first 6 months and we were so happy with the first set that we kitted out 2 more rooms with them. A couple more months down the line and one by one they start to go wrong.

The most common fault is that the screens go pink and they have to go back to have their motherboards replaced. While this is an annoyance in itself, it's even more annoying that it has taken up to 3 months for them to repair one of them. It's not the same machine every time either, the 'bug' seems to be working it's way round one at a time.

There's also the odd glitch that the computers don't get past the BIOS screen periodically which happens to pretty much all of them. It's a simple case of turning them off and back on, but annoying when it gets me out of my chair for baffled teachers who's "computer won't come on".

It was also annoying how they all shipped with Vista, even though we specified that we wanted XP installed. The argued that we could still install XP under downgrade rights, but only supplied us with Vista product keys and had to send us XP product keys separately. We had to re-image the whole lot which was a very time consuming process.

In future we will stick with RM PCs which you can just plug into the network and they're ready to turn themselves into CC3 stations. Much more simple and far less time-consuming.

Hi,

All components will be Intel based the same as RM so the machines should be no different if spec'd the same. With regards to the OS, All PC's should be supplied with Vista Business/Home and if XP is required then this is a downgrade. NS Optimum will supply the machines with this downgrade pre-loaded onto the machine or we can even take a copy of your school network image and build the image up on all PC's when ordered before dispatch so you are ready to go when they arrive. Obviously you would need to have your RM CC licenses organised seperately as they are bespoke to RM networks.

I will email you with regards to the technical issues.

Regards

Rob

Thank Post
    Strangely we've never been pestered with sales calls (touch wood) despite being an existing customer.

We had NS Optimum in to create 2 ICT Suites about 6 years ago... a total of 50 PC's 2 Interactive Whiteboards, 2 networked laser printers and all the benching and cabling.

On the whole the job went smoothly but several things we'd been told we could have were met with "I wish the sales people would stop making promises we can't keep.."
    The networking has been fine but other companies have commented that it did not meet with regulations
    The main problem was with the PC's - from the first week we had PC's going down due to either Power Supplies or On/Off switch problems - some went back 2 or 3 times one at least 6. The few boxes we kept for returns became so battered with travelling back and forth they litterally fell apart.
    The cases were also very shoddy for life in school with most of the front panels being broken off along with reset buttons, floppy disk eject buttons etc.

I have no idea what the situation is today but we are quite happy with our current supplier and will be sticking with them for the forseable future.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast