+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Bad Experiences Thread, NS Optimum in Purchasing and Trading; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Anyone had any experieince of NSO fitting smart boards?? They have just quoted for 17 and come in cheapest by £1k to the next company but if they are going to be trouble then i might just pay the extra 1k and go elsewhere!
    Judging by my past experience they'll charge you for 17, only fit 15 and deny all knowledge of the other two.

They'll never get an order from me again - so stop spamming me!!!

HBJB

Thank Post
    Bulletpoint were the cheapest when we had a load of Smartboards installed. We're still paying for that mistake!

Thank Post
    Thanks guys looks like i will be going elsewhere then

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Anyone had any experieince of NSO fitting smart boards?? They have just quoted for 17 and come in cheapest by £1k to the next company but if they are going to be trouble then i might just pay the extra 1k and go elsewhere!
    I used to use RM for all of our Equipment including AV at my last school and loved it, when i moved here, I was told that our supplier was NS Optimum and was pushed in their direction as the bursar has a 'relationship' with them. In their defence i've been using them for a while now for Servers, PC's and AV and have had no problems. I'd steer clear of Misco though IMO as a friend of mine has had bad experiences with them recently.

Thank Post
    We had a few AV installs done by NSO last year which were pretty bad, I put it down to the first batch of AV engineers though - In the end NSO sent in some more engineers and got everything sorted - the SMT won't have them back for installs at the moment but I still use them for servers/workstations and licencing. In fact I'm currently awaiting delivery of a new server and some workstations.

James

Thank Post

Dodgy Practice

Invited various suppliers ot tender for work with a specified deadline. NS Optimum representative contacted me after deadline expired and got quite upset and agressive that he hadn't got the deal (welcome to the real world). He explained that if I had got back in touch he would have lowered the quote! Now, every other supplier would have doen the same so the idea of a deadlne is for them to go as low as theywant an order to win without me spending two days phoning around the twenty odd suppliers we have on our list (19 now we have removed NS Optimum!).

I explained the process to him and he obviously wasn't happy as a few hours later he emailed the Head Taecher with a new offer. Fortunately the Head Teacher leaves all ICT stuff to me and forwarded the email to me. I then contacted NS Optimum and spoke to his boss stating that I wasn't happy with this practice and never expected it to happen again. I was assured it wouldn't but this put me off using them anyway.

I still receive emails from them which I just junk. I did think of unsubscribing but after reading others posts figured this was a pointless excercise.

Thank Post
    Just to start off I have not ever been employed by NSO nor received any gifts for saying this.

I have found NSO to be a good company, sure they get things wrong sometimes, but 9 out of 10 they get it right. I was at a school for 4 years that used them, and i am introducing them into my new school (hopefully).

Their techies are good, cablers could be better i guess, desktops are good and their servers are outstanding.

I don't understand why you are all getting so worked up with one company. There are far worse out there believe me i know!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiberoony View Post
    I don't understand why you are all getting so worked up with one company. There are far worse out there believe me i know!!!!
    If you read through the other posts on the Bad Experiences board then you will realise that its just not NS Optiumum. The problem with NS Optimum is the amount of SPAM mails that get sent out on a regular basis and that they don't listen.

I've had a bad time with them in the past, and as with any company I deal with they get a second chance and then thats it. They blew them both.

Thank Post

Shady Dealings

NS Optimum approached us several years ago. At one point we did consider them, but then simply decided against it. The account manager sent a mail 'by mistake' to my line manager as if it were an internal mail, basically saying how worried he was by the decision, that I'd got it badly wrong, and that the school would be harmed by this and waste money...to no avail, because my line manager was very IT literate, and we'd made the decision together...he called them and told them he would never deal with them and he would contact every school he knew to warn them off...terrible way of doing business.

In an airless, window free cupboard at the back of the ICT suite...
    Thank Post

NSOptimum...

Back in 2005 when I began as an AST for ICT, the first school I was asked to support with out-reach was a NSOptimum school. When I asked the then acting head (they were expecting ofsted within 3 weeks) what ICT problems /concerns they had, she didn't know where to begin. ICT suite had been neglected by the tech to the point where staff had stopped using it for over 6 months. Some PCs had win2000, some XP, some 98. Different versions of Office. On the XP machines, Office did not load as it was asking for the install CDs. The server was not being backed up. I could go on. It was a holy show.

When I started to ask for NSO to act on this and support the school, I asked for the tech to meet me on site. I couldn't really understand how the tech (who lived up north) was being quality controlled/assessed etc. when the HQ was in the Midlands...It was clear that he was struggling! When NSO were given a deadline to send the SLA over by fax, they did not. This after three phone calls from morning into the afternoon. In the end, their support contract was terminated and I have made it my personal duty to inform all of my experience with them to all schools I have dealt with since then.

I know this was a few years back now, and I too have unsubscribed (as a result of having to give details to various account managers all those years ago) and yet I still get regular spam from NSO. For me, as it is for everybody else here on the forum, the quality of customer support and contact between company and user is vital - any company who is overbearing or demanding with my time or just won't take no for an answer becomes a challenge and makes me more resolute to never use them again. A shame, because I am sure things have improved since my direct contact with them, but as the famous saying goes, "once bitten, twice shy."

LD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Wizard View Post
    I'd steer clear of Misco though IMO as a friend of mine has had bad experiences with them recently.
    How curious! I have had no problems with this company. We have bought so much kit off them, we are now a 'favoured customer' or some such!

Obviously, there have been some issues, like with all suppliers, but they have generally sorted them out pretty quickly!

Cheers, 7&

Thank Post
    We had a couple of smartboards installed last year and their cabling guys aren't the best that's for sure. One of the projectors ending leaning to the side (we think the support they attached the pole to move) and for the other installation they hadn't put the smartboard far enough from the door which meant that the closer hinge dented the board.

On a positive note we phoned up our account manager and he sent someone out to fix it all right away and he even arrived too!

Thank Post
    I've got an interview with this lot next week but the reading here is making me think in 2 directions. I left Fujitsu after 4 years due to being reprimanded for telling customers the truth instead of the company line (they are told the part will be 3 days, I say i've been waiting for one over 3 weeks so a month more likely). As I am customer focused and treat them as the main priority, would I get bogged down into doing stuff that I shouldnt, or just not accept the job if i'm offered. Maybe I can make a difference to them?
    I know there's good and bad installers and engineers in all places, Fujitsu used to promote them to internal jobs where they could do less damage as sacking isnt an option.
    I'll watch the forum for a bit, seems most negatives are pre mid 2008.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    NS Optimum got served by us, sent by our solicitor who sent letter warning them that if they persisted with the emails and phone calls they would have a restraining order put on them. This was in 2007, we had an email again in 2008 asking if we could quote and I left it, then had call after call after call. Got on the blower to our lawyer who sorted it out but today had a call from them again saying they had new personnel and wanted to offer us special discount as a new customer, I told them where to go as I have 5 suppliers I use, all of which treat me brilliantly! We used NS Optimum once, and never again, was when a fibre and Cat5E was installed and there guy was crappy, he forgot 3 vital things, his Media Cable tester, his Network cable tester and his cerebrum. Never again will we use them! Ever.
    Last edited by nephilim; 19th February 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Thank Post
    They ring up here all the time and every so often when I check my SPAM filters on my e-mail servers they is a lot of mail from them sitting their.... I wonder who blocked them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast