+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Using projectors outdoors in Technical; Hi, We've been asked about the feasibility of setting up a couple of projectors for use outdoors for an assembly ...

Thank Post

Using projectors outdoors

Hi,

We've been asked about the feasibility of setting up a couple of projectors for use outdoors for an assembly and I wondered if anyone had any experience or information about it.

To give you a little background, at the end of every term, we do a whole school assembly where prizes are given out, the band plays some songs and the dance class performs something or other. A big part is 2 large projected images on the wall in our games hall where we show photos of events from the term and pick bingo prizes from a scrolling list of names of students(number of entries based upon the praise points students gained in the term).

Some bright spark commented to the principal how wonderful it would be to have all this outdoors (depending on the weather). I've given my opinion that the image will simply not be visible outside as our brightest projector is 2200 lumens. Does anyone know how bright a projector would be required for outside use? Obviously it depends on quite how bright the ambient light is, so I'd say fairly bright as if it was dull day chances are we'd go back to our games hall.

Any input gratefully received!

rad
    Thank Post
    I was asked if it is possible to get a projector outside for sports day. I said no chance.

I would be more inclinded to speak to a projector/tv hire company and ask their thoughts/get a price. It would be nice to show, but I dont think a normal classroom projector will hack it.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't bother. We have a couple of break-out areas indoors at my school where projectors were installed. There are tinted glass skylights overhead and on a normal school day they are almost unuseable.

Also, I did some work with another school a year or so ago where they have an auditorium with a glass roof; they asked for a projector in there, their AV supplier advised against it but they insisted. They put the most powerful projector they could find (it cost them £20k) and it was still almost useless on a bright day. You have no chance against a 6840000000000000000000000000 lumens light source!
    Last edited by broc; 13th July 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    A large plasma would be better.

Ben

Thank Post
    Aren't LED screens generally considered brighter than Plasma? However, if they are anything like viewing a laptop, smartphone or iPad screen out doors forget it!

Thank Post
    Hi,

We've tried LED screens outside before (a different bright spark this time). We even purchased gazebos with sides to try to make the screen visible and it was a waste of time.

BTW, the event that we have to setup for is a week today (just got told yesterday afternoon).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heavens no. You won't see anything unless it's a particularly dark and cloudy day, and if it's a particularly dark and cloudy day you probably don't want expensive electronics outside. Covering a projector with a tarp is a bad idea given the heat output as well.

Thank Post
    Unless you have an exceptionally bright data projector then most likely you wont see a thing.

To prove the point, take a projector out side at the brightest possible time and then take a few photos of it and get some staff out to take a look too.

Thank Post
    We wanted projection in our atrium, but ended up with a 104" TV instead, smaller but it's visible in all lighting conditions.

Rob

Thank Post
    you need monster projectors to work outside. What you need is these guys... Fonix LED :: Mobile but they don't come cheap. I would tell the powers that be that unless they have thousands to throw at it, to can it, it won't work.

Thank Post
    We've used a 40" plasma once for displaying the tennis outside, that was in the summer, in a bit of a shaded area, perfectly visible.

Another time we've used a 15,000 lumens projector to display some presentations outside. It was ok during the day (much better at night though), although it was a pretty overcast day...

Thank Post
    Your projector would have to be around 9000 lumins on a normal day and the screen would have to be shaded.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think about drive in movie theatres, they only work at night and they have massive projectors. You have no chance during the day, even with a mental projector.

Thank Post
    Find the fuse for the sun and pull it out.... or rent an LED wall from ADI Choose your Big Screen, Mobile LED Screens, Event Screen Selector - ADI.tv
    They look after my Jumbotron and have a solution for all requirements.

Thank Post
    Could wait for the next solar eclips, or fudge NTP and everyones watches by 12hrs

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread