+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, ClickView and video formats in Technical; Hello! Have searched the AV forum for this topic, but not found it or anything similar. However, if I have ...
    gmj

Thank Post

ClickView and video formats

Hello!

Have searched the AV forum for this topic, but not found it or anything similar. However, if I have missed it somehow, please point me in the correct direction.

Having a bit of trouble with uploading videos to Clickview....which I am new to in my new job. I understand that clickview does not like MP4 format and has/likes to use AVI. Got a couple of videos to upload (The Shakespeare Uncovered series) that a staff member has in MP4 format. Converted them to AVI (XviD 1.2.2 code with Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter 1.6) and uploaded them without problems with the ClickView Digital Video Recorder. However, when they will not playback with the clickview client....although all over videos currently do (rules not the machine on which the client is installed?). Have raised a call with clickview themselves, but not heard anything back and was just wonder if anyone here had any bright Ideas I could try...have also tried converting the MP4 into both WMV format, but that refused to upload at all.

gmj

Thank Post
    Doh!

Workstation I was testing on was missing some codec packs

All ok now......its been one of those days........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Which version of Clickview are you running, the newest version only likes WMV at which point the best tool is the free Microsoft Expression Encoder, its easy to use and mutithreaded plus outputs a format that Clickview handles fine in all our testing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Why doesn't ClickView support H.264 & AAC? Haven't they heard of these codecs in Australia?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Why doesn't ClickView support H.264 & AAC? Haven't they heard of these codecs in Australia?
    Because WMV decodes on desktops without a stack of extra codecs and gpu acceleration. Its nice that everyone in the UK gets given the latest yphone at birth but here in the southern hemisphere where tech is 25% more expensive at a minimum there are still older machines kicking around and they needed to pick a format that offered good quality, be able to play on low spec cpus and not require the installation of a retarded million pound gorilla like iTunes/slowtime in order to play anything. They did use xvid but it has plenty of format incompatibility issues thanks to different versions, features, headers. WMV is a comparitivly well defined container that means stuff like skipping, fast forwarding will work smoothly. It is also decently supported by vlc and their are mac players that handle it too. Video codecs are a nightmare and picking one to support well is a much more efficient solution than supporting many not as well. It means that all the hassles with compatibility are experienced by the admins/power users adding the videos rather than the end users. I think it does still support xvid etc. but prefers wmv thanks to the above compatibility concerns. It has to be exactly right to work as the formats are a mess. I think their online player probably has support for smartphones etc. but I have never used it so don't know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmj View Post
    Hello!

Have searched the AV forum for this topic, but not found it or anything similar. However, if I have missed it somehow, please point me in the correct direction.

Having a bit of trouble with uploading videos to Clickview....which I am new to in my new job. I understand that clickview does not like MP4 format and has/likes to use AVI. Got a couple of videos to upload (The Shakespeare Uncovered series) that a staff member has in MP4 format. Converted them to AVI (XviD 1.2.2 code with Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter 1.6) and uploaded them without problems with the ClickView Digital Video Recorder. However, when they will not playback with the clickview client....although all over videos currently do (rules not the machine on which the client is installed?). Have raised a call with clickview themselves, but not heard anything back and was just wonder if anyone here had any bright Ideas I could try...have also tried converting the MP4 into both WMV format, but that refused to upload at all.
    Which program are you using to convert? I use AVS Video Converter and convert to WMV for clickview and everything works without issues.

gmj

Thank Post
    Using ' Pazera Free MP4 to AVI' to convert files. All is well now, it was just a matter of the workstation that I was testing on missing codecs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread