+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector Recommendations in Technical; Hi everyone! We have a small bright classroom for training and development and would like to equip it with a ...

Thank Post

Projector Recommendations

Hi everyone!

We have a small bright classroom for training and development and would like to equip it with a ceiling/wall mounted Projector and suitable high quality pull down screen.

The budget for the projector is low at between 300 - 500.

Options we have look at thus far are:

Epson EB-W12 2800 ANSI Lumens WXGA Projector (V11H428041) - dabs

Epson EB-X11 projector

the PJ would mostly be used for training videos, but there would be some computer training alos and PP slideshows, so must be good at images and text.

I guess key factors are brightness (must be bright enough for daylight), image clarity (for text/images) and price.

I would sincerely apreciate all input on this!

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    The Epson EB-X11 is available for 275+VAT including the trade-in offer (30+VAT for your old projector, not sure if just Epson or any). We are hoping to replace a batch of 8yr old projectors with the EB-X11.

I don't think widescreen is worth the extra money, especially for us as we're moving back to desktops rather than laptops to drive projectors!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply!

It certainly looks up to the job - although a few more lumens would't have gone amiss! Do you know if there is a comparable short throw projector?

I personally like to get up fron and point at everything, so it would be rally nice to have a ceiling mounted Short Throw machine if such a thing exists within the price range?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Personally I would look at the Casio Range - if you are able to spend the extra 100,200 now then it will save you in the long run without needing to replace bulbs - 5 year warranty as well

Thank Post
    Epson X11 much brighter that the Casio and much much more reliable and not susseptable to the Casio colour cast after a few 1000 hrs. Epson also have a 5 year on site cover and if you buy local from an epson dealer same day swapout!!!
    you also get 3 year lamp cover and with lamps now only 90 ish it makes the casio a poor buy.
    You can also set the epson to any distance from 3.2mtr to less than 2mtr for a 79" board.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

6. Thanks to Marc-Engineer from:

projector1 (9th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    Epson X11 much brighter that the Casio and much much more reliable and not susseptable to the Casio colour cast after a few 1000 hrs. Epson also have a 5 year on site cover and if you buy local from an epson dealer same day swapout!!!
    you also get 3 year lamp cover and with lamps now only 90 ish it makes the casio a poor buy.
    You can also set the epson to any distance from 3.2mtr to less than 2mtr for a 79" board.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    If you're going epson get one with the EasyMP Network Projection built in as it can make things a lot easier for remote projection.

Thank Post

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    The casio's go up to 3000 ANSI lumens and half the appeal is the fact that you can just install them and with any luck leave them for 5 years rather than having to deinstall every so often to change a bulb which will still be tha case with the epsons.
    That said if you dont care then the Epson EB-X11 do look great value.

Thank Post
    The epson has a 5 year lamp life, but all projectors need servicing Casio's included i have many 10s of them to service they suck in dust same as any other device with a fan, yes they claim 3000 lumins but i have never seen one that bright as i say the Epson is brighter at Epson claimed 2600Lumins then the Casio's claimed 3000 Lumins some makers use an avarage screen brightness (epson) and some (i suspect Casio do) use the brightest spot on the screen to get their reading hence giving a higher reading than the other, but in actual in use would be dimmer.

Benifit of the epson is the wider install distance and the on site cover with SAME day swap out from local Epson supplier.

My opinions are from experiance not from any connection with any company or manufacturer

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    I would also go with Epson EB-X11. However it depends who is ceiling mounting the projector. You may find the overall cost including the installation is similar if you went with an Epson EB-470 ultra short throw. I am told by my installer that putting them up is easy and being wall mounted the cable runs are shorter, so cheaper, mains power is on the wall so may be cheaper. I believe the wall bracket is included so no additional costs for that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I installed a couple of BenQ MS612ST recently and they're excellent quality for a low price.

It should also be noted these are short throw and also include HDMI. Useful for Apple TV for example!

Thank Post
    There shold be no differance between mounting a UCF projector (wall mount) and one mounted on a ceiling, cables are cheap so can be disregurded, main cost is labour then mount, i know we dont diferenciate between the two.

Marc
    projector Engineer

Thank Post
    The epson has a 5 year lamp life, but all projectors need servicing Casio's included i have many 10s of them to service they suck in dust same as any other device with a fan, yes they claim 3000 lumins but i have never seen one that bright as i say the Epson is brighter at Epson claimed 2600Lumins then the Casio's claimed 3000 Lumins some makers use an avarage screen brightness (epson) and some (i suspect Casio do) use the brightest spot on the screen to get their reading hence giving a higher reading than the other, but in actual in use would be dimmer.

Benifit of the epson is the wider install distance and the on site cover with SAME day swap out from local Epson supplier.

My opinions are from experiance not from any connection with any company or manufacturer

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    A blow out/ clean up will be required with the casios but this can be done without taking the thing down. What i'm getting at is regardless of how great the warrenty and service from epson are every couple of years (depending on usage) you are going to have to contact epson to get a new bulb and take down the projector and swap it out which is just more hassel than the casio's if you have upwards of 50 projectors onsite.

Thank Post
    I still dont understand your statement but anyway the cover on Casio is much the same as epson you you would still have to take it down for warrenty, yes epson do lamp replacement mounted but no matter. My point is the casio are not as cost efficient as at first belived and there are many not just epson that are better over the normal time period than casio also i dont recomend blowing air in the the unit it actually makes the dust infeltration worse they have to be stripped same as all other projectors.

I think of them like flat screen brilliant idea but not quite there yet not cost effective, but all credit to them for brining them out.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 11th June 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Just looking at this as after 3 new projectors this year. Now like the look of the Epson EB-X11 but i've seen the EB-X14 is about 100 more for 3000 Lumens and HDMI.

What do you reckon worth the extra 100 or not? Don't use the HDMI for anything here at the moment but I think the extra Lumens will come in handy if that's accurate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    What do you reckon worth the extra 100 or not?
    Considering how long schools keep projectors for, a HDMI port is essential IMO. You may regret going with a VGA only projector as the port starts to be phased out on laptops over the next few years. Many ultrabooks already do not have them and this number is only going to increase as manufacturers start making thinner laptops with flash storage instead of hard drives.

Intel and AMD sign death warrant for VGA port Ars Technica

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast