+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector Recommendations in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur Considering how long schools keep projectors for, a HDMI port is essential IMO. You may regret ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Considering how long schools keep projectors for, a HDMI port is essential IMO. You may regret going with a VGA only projector as the port starts to be phased out on laptops over the next few years. Many ultrabooks already do not have them and this number is only going to increase as manufacturers start making thinner laptops with flash storage instead of hard drives.

Intel and AMD sign death warrant for VGA port Ars Technica
    Also useful if you need to connect blueray players or an AppleTV for iPad streaming.

Thank Post
    I agree, but people have been going on about the death of VGA for YEARS now, DVI was supposed to kill it, HDMI, Displayport etc etc. I doubt it'll ever truly be killed off because unless that tax issue changes if it hasn't already that is it's been awhile since I heard about it how widely it will be on laptops is the real issue and I could see it disappearing from them as you say but I really can't see it dying off in desktops any time soon (if ever).

I just wondered if people thought HDMI and 400 lumens is worth it personally I think it is was interested to hear what others had to say.

Does anyone have a source of cheap lamps for these, I know they're not massively expensive in the first instance but every little helps as they say

Also useful if you need to connect an Xbox up for example as although you can use the cheaper connectors you might as well use the decent quality ones.....

Misco quote 429 ex VAT for the X14 so we'll see what the account manager comes back with pricewise
    Last edited by Bananas; 13th June 2012 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    people have been going on about the death of VGA for YEARS now
    While true, I actually think it's going to happen this time on both laptops and desktops. VGA ports are just too big and clunky, and they do not support resolutions higher than 20481536px which will be an issue in the near future.

I will be glad to see the back of them. They cause far too many problems at our school.

Thank Post
    At least they're generally securable but you always have the worry that some numpty can bend the pins....

We have desktops connected to whiteboard in the IT suites and to prevent them being disconnected and pulled about so people can plug laptops in I tightened all the VGA cables up with pliers. Got a call the other day saying I can't undo this cable to plug my laptop in. I said I know I did that for a reason......

I'm sure you're right about the resolution but again the only place this is really ever going to be an issue is on laptops and at the moment I really think we're a considerable way off resolutions getting that high on a portable device. I'm open to being proved wrong but I think we're probably still 3 years or so away from that. I think that resolution limit will ultimately be what kills it off though.

I do like VGA for the simple fact that you can lock it in place which you can't often do with displayport or HDMI you are right though VGA sockets are ugly and bulky. I will kind of be sad to see them go, they've been around since forever and i'm kind of attached to them....
    Last edited by Bananas; 13th June 2012 at 11:23 AM.

Thank Post
    We've found the Epson's to be slightly better quality than the Casio but the Casio are nice to have for high ceilings as ive found them to need a bit less maintainance. Would recommend HDMI as has been said VGA will slowly disapear, but overall i dont think you can go wrong with either brands. If you want the best picture go for the Epsons with high lumens.

Thank Post
    Cool, well as nice as the Casio projectors are they're still a bit too much upfront for now. We've got LOADS of really old Epsons to replace still got old ones running 800x600 We're just waiting on some prices for the X14.

I thought the highr lumens might be a good idea as some of the staff have been moaning about their old Epson projectors being too dim so that should help. Do a few this year and then roll forward from there.

Ta guys!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Have you looked at NEC? The V260X is great if you need a cheap projector with HDMI + VGA ports, a 3000-5000 hour 2,600 lumen lamp and XGA (1024x768) resolution. We paid 315 for ours and they are bright enough for the classrooms we have installed them into. The only downside is that they are not widescreen, but you can't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    you always have the worry that some numpty can bend the pins....
    Very much so! There is nothing worse than a ham-fisted teacher bending pins and/or completely snapping the VGA port off of a perfectly good laptop (and then doing it again on a further two laptops in quick succession!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get one of the Epson ones with a network port and support for EasyMP network Projection. This kills the need for other ports at all as you can chuck soud and video at it across the network from anywhere.

Much better for portability and much leass likelyhood of port breakages due to teacher heavyhandedness.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    The Epson EB-X11 is available for 275+VAT including the trade-in offer (30+VAT for your old projector, not sure if just Epson or any). We are hoping to replace a batch of 8yr old projectors with the EB-X11.

I don't think widescreen is worth the extra money, especially for us as we're moving back to desktops rather than laptops to drive projectors!
    Hi

Where did you get this quote from as we are looking for one too.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e-class View Post
    Hi

Where did you get this quote from as we are looking for one too.

Thanks
    Insight have them for 293 + VAT each, so they have come down a bit over the last day or so, as that now equates to 263 + VAT with the trade in offer. We're buying 4 of them tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Think there is a deal on these with a free bulb
    But I will need to make a call in the morning

Thank Post
    Should add that this is with a 3yr de-install/reinstall warranty from my supplier and not the 2 yr as shown on Insight

Thank Post
    If your buying an Epson please buy it from an Epson supplier NOT a Misco insight etc as you dont get the same warrenty, if you buy from Epson supplier from their website you will get a 5 year ON SITE warrenty with 3 year lamp cover.

Dont wait for the X14 get a X11 or X12 for better vaule.....

marc
    projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of a flexible budget and had to opt for the cheapest supplier. We paid 285 + VAT for the X11 and will get a further 30+VAT off with the trade in, so pretty good I say. I think it's the standard EDU line which comes with 2yrs limited warranty, 3yrs lamp warranty, but to be fair we have just replaced 8yr old projectors after they finally started giving us grief, so we have had more than our moneys worth.

Also to point out 3yr deinstall/reinstall is not the same as a 2yr limited warranty..

Very happy with the X11s.. look neat, alot lighter and compact and image quality is fantastic over the old S1Hs they replace. Also got an new open box bulb from Misco for a steal so we're reasonably well covered

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Whats all this talk of being able to lock in a vga connector, most laptop vga ports don't have locking posts.

Displayport can utilize locking connectors.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast