+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sanyo XE-34 Projector in Technical; Hi All, I am planning to purchase a few of these in the future because our old school projectors are ...

Thank Post

Sanyo XE-34 Projector

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a few of these in the future because our old school projectors are just way to old and have poor (degraded) quality to be kept. They are close to there end of lives! and I don;t want to buy light bulbs for them anymore.

This is the projector I am thinking about currently

PLC-XE34

Has anyone bought and used one of these in a school?

Anyone got reviews or experience on these Sanyo XE34s' please?

thanks

Thank Post
    We've got a couple, they're fine, and the lamps are pretty cheap (less than £100) at the minute. Personally I won't be buying any more traditional lamped projectors for classroom use.

The Casio LED projectors are great, a little more expensive but when you consider that there are no bulbs to replace, filters to clean, and the other advantages such as the almost instant warm up/off they are certainly worth it

Thank Post
    Thanks for that.

I don;t know if I can take the LED path as I need to replace most classroom projectors. Whats the lamp life of these xe34s when bought?

Thank Post
    Sanyo were recently taken over by Panasonic. Matrix the UK warranty provider has said they will continue to honour the warranty from what I understand.

I’ve always found that Sanyo projectors deteriorate in light output very quickly because of dust build up on the LCD panels and to some extent the internal mirrors and lenses. I suspect that’s due to the very low surface area of the filters on most models. Cleaning the filter even with a Hoover results ingress of dust and I also think the projectors suck in unfiltered air through other channels when the filter starts to clog.

The Casio projectors are a great piece of kit but again they suck in air to cool and hence dust. I had one fail but that was a dusty fan which I got going with a blast from an air duster and a paperclip. In the long term I think they would need at cost, to be returned to Casio for cleaning.

I’ve had several NEC projectors fitted. Every one is as crisp and sharp as the day it was installed. The whole side is a big corrugated filter which so far has taken care of the dust problem. Bulb life is extended by not allowing you to turn off the projector until the bulb temperature is at optimum or turn on until the bulb is cool. They are two situations that reduce the life expectancy of any bulb.

These are just my thoughts from experience but hopefully Mark will comment as he really knows projectors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lazkopat View Post
    Thanks for that.

I don;t know if I can take the LED path as I need to replace most classroom projectors. Whats the lamp life of these xe34s when bought?
    They're usually around 2000 hours.

Thank Post
    My company install the NEC M230x range in classrooms now for those schools who cant afford the LED option. They are a brilliant unit as stated by mrwobbly. I would recommend them over Sanyo all day long.

Thank Post
    This is the projector I am thinking about currently

PLC-XE34

Has anyone bought and used one of these in a school?

Anyone got reviews or experience on these Sanyo XE34s' please?

thanks
    We've got a few, been replacements for some of our older models, had no issues with them yet. Seem nice little machines, and fairly good cost too. Especially with the ended warranties etc.

Steve

Thank Post
    Hitachi UST ED-A221NM all the way. Quite expensive, but lamps are cheap, they are easy to install, they come with a dedicated wall mount, the lamp life is long as is the warranty, they have more features than you can shake a stick at and the network management features are an absolute godsend.

Thank Post
    Hmm, Perhaps I should do some research on the NEC/Hitach projectors aswel then..

I need something which is not expensive but can last a long time. We don't have a huge budget. I need it for few classes. I don't want to purchase bulbs anymore because you dont get that same quality when the projector was newly purchased. The quality (output) degrades over the time its being used so even if you install a new bulb it does not make a difference anymore (well just a tiny little bit) to these Sanyo XE-30s'.
    Last edited by lazkopat; 28th May 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    If your budget is tight you could try cleaning your existing projectors. A full optical clean is expensive when sent away but you can do it yourself. I’ve done a few myself and it’s not that difficult

I’ve found recently that I can obtain virtually the same result on old Sanyo projectors by just taking the top of and blowing out all the dust using an air duster. Pay particular attention to the back of the lens and the three lcd panels. These can be blown where the three ribbon cables pass through the circuit board. While the main light path is sealed to some extent these are open and that’s where the majority of the dust collects. Try it on one and you will be surprised at the improvement it makes.

Thank Post
    Right, I've opened up one of the un-used projector. I took of the top cover and now I can see the circuit board.

What's the next stage guys?

I'm no projector expert by the way. I don't understand some of the terminology mrwobbly mate

Thank Post
    I've cleaned a few PLC-XE31s and it vastly improved the image. If you look at previous threads there are some guides on how to clean projectors. Once you have done one they are all very similar. Instead of air dusters you can buy a electirc duster for around £60 they are very good and in the long run saves on the cost of air dusters.

Thank Post
    Have you looked at the Epson EBX-11 education projector? They are around £300 and come with a 3 year warranty on the bulb. (maximum of 200 hours per year) The ebx-14 is also good if you have very bright classrooms.

We've installed a few casio led projectors in the past, never again. About a year old now and they just arent bright enough.

We've used some sanyo's before, not sure on the model number but they look similar to the one you've suggested above. they have been ok, but after 18 months of use they desperately needed a clean - that is with cleaning their filters on a weekly basis - they get dirty far quicker than any projector i've known.

I like the range of Hitachi short throw projectors, although I have to say the mount they come with is ugly! Works well, just doesnt look good! There would also be some re-cabling if you changed to a short throw projector.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Have you looked at the Epson EBX-11 education projector? They are around £300 and come with a 3 year warranty on the bulb. (maximum of 200 hours per year) The ebx-14 is also good if you have very bright classrooms.
    I hope that figure is wrong because 200 hours is a little over a months use in a school environment.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    We've installed a few casio led projectors in the past, never again. About a year old now and they just arent bright enough.
    You got the wrong ones then, we have started using the Casio XJ-M150 they are 3000 Lumens and are by far the brightest projectors we have in school.

Thank Post
    Right, I've opened up one of the un-used projector. I took of the top cover and now I can see the circuit board.

What's the next stage guys?

I'm no projector expert by the way. I don't understand some of the terminology mrwobbly mate
    To clean it fully you have to strip it down and open the optical path because you get a lot of dust on the internal lens / mirrors. It can make a big difference but if your not v.careful you can damage the projector.

Note: dont touch the lens / mirrors or prism just use an air duster / compressed air. Be aware that static could kill it and as any device it could hold a charge i.e. you could still get a shock even when its not plugged in.

If the lamp has not been replaced when the lamp replace counter said it should it might have damaged the projector and even cleaning it and fitting a new bulb wont restore full brightness. Also over time UV damage from the lamp will reduce the image quality. Also old / low spec projectors with low lumen output are no match for a new 3000 lumen casio.

If you are not experienced in electronics I would be cautious because if you get it wrong you might miss something i.e. re connecting an earth wire that makes the equipment dangerous.

16. Thanks to ToyHeartsFan from:

Oaktech (29th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast