+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Sanyo XE-34 Projector in Technical; Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan I hope that figure is wrong because 200 hours is a little over a months use ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    I hope that figure is wrong because 200 hours is a little over a months use in a school environment.
    Should be 2000 hours a year! - Which gives 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 40 weeks of the year.

We got the first generation of the casio ones, the slim ones. Went for the brightest model that was available at the time, they started off ok but have got dimmer, and are no better value than a normal projector with a good bulb warranty so stopped buying them.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Should be 2000 hours a year! - Which gives 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 40 weeks of the year.

We got the first generation of the casio ones, the slim ones. Went for the brightest model that was available at the time, they started off ok but have got dimmer, and are no better value than a normal projector with a good bulb warranty so stopped buying them.

Steve
    I gave the slim line models a wide berth because there were some reports of them overheating although other people said they didnt have the problem. I picked the XJ-M150 because we needed something brighter a lot of the sanyos were only 1500-2000 lumens and our class rooms are too bright. I did replace one batch of sanyos with newer 3000 lumen sanyos but we have had a lot of problems with them so I wanted to try something else.

So far I'm very happy with them teachers are still complaining about the Sanyos we have i.e. not bright enough / poor image and the last batch we had keep cutting out (we sent one back under warranty and they said there was nothing wrong with it) but no one has complained about a casio. The only niggle I have with them so far is that the range we are using doesnt have a vga out. Its possible that over time the image will degrade but that can happen with any projector so we will just have to wait and see. Schools are probably one of the most demanding environments for the amount of use the projectors get and the dust they are exposed to.

So they are giving you a 6000 hr lamp warranty is that in eco mode though? I know some makes will ship you a spare bulb but I think its like the old ink jet printers all over again i.e. they almost gave them away but charged a fortune for the supplies. I dont think the lamps cost anything like what they charge for them.

Thank Post
    I'm a fan of the Epson projectors, we are looking at putting in 20 or so of the X-12's this summer. All our previous epsons come with a three year on site swap in/out warranty, though i have only had to use it once(last year we got a 5 year warranty thrown in for free too). Also epson make their own bulbs(allegedly) so they are cheaper and last a lot longer. looking at 5000 hours in normal use, 6000 hours eco. Tech support is good too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Have you looked at the Epson EBX-11 education projector? They are around 300 and come with a 3 year warranty on the bulb. (maximum of 200 hours per year) The ebx-14 is also good if you have very bright classrooms.

We've installed a few casio led projectors in the past, never again. About a year old now and they just arent bright enough.

We've used some sanyo's before, not sure on the model number but they look similar to the one you've suggested above. they have been ok, but after 18 months of use they desperately needed a clean - that is with cleaning their filters on a weekly basis - they get dirty far quicker than any projector i've known.

I like the range of Hitachi short throw projectors, although I have to say the mount they come with is ugly! Works well, just doesnt look good! There would also be some re-cabling if you changed to a short throw projector.

Steve
    I must say i agree with most of above the Epson is a great bit of kit and will replace almost anything great zoom and lens ofset so it doesnt mater if its offcenter to the screen you can correct it, from any Epson "Approved" reseller you have no limitation on hrs as far as the lamp goes we just say 3 years and 5 years projector on site with same day swap out (but we need the old lamp back on swap).The Epson does not suffer as badly from dust ingress and has a simple single filter to clean.

I agree with the Casio statement as well i have seen a number fail and they get a colour cast with age (i did say this would happen when they came out knowing the composite lamp makeup)( and i have been proved right) they are also prone to overheating, casio have now halved their cover on these from the original claims.....speaks for itself.
    and as said above still need cleaning like any other.

Yes the Hitachi is also a good unit i cant fault them but for a very very small amount of install in victorian schools where they need a sensor ajustment (all done on warrenty so no problem).

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post

I've found this on Angry Technician, perhaps its worth giving it a try.

You have to gamble sometimes to achieve in life.

Cleaning dust ingress from the Sanyo PROxtraX PLC-XE31 The Angry Technician

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    So they are giving you a 6000 hr lamp warranty is that in eco mode though? I know some makes will ship you a spare bulb but I think its like the old ink jet printers all over again i.e. they almost gave them away but charged a fortune for the supplies. I dont think the lamps cost anything like what they charge for them.
    It's 6000 hours over 3 years, and thats in normal or eco mode, no restrictions. Also because we got more than ten of them, one of their technicians came out onsite to show us how to use them / basic repairs, and then gave us a free spare - so now if one fails we do a strait swap and then epson pick it up and repair it, so zero downtime. Hadn't really used epson's much in the past, but got to say i'm pretty impressed so far.

With regard to the Casio's at the time we installed them it was only the slim ones available, can't really comment on their recent range as we haven't tried them.

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12