+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Xibo - Streaming from a USB TV Tuner to Xibo in Technical; Hi All, Looking for some help/advise? I am trying to get Xibo setup and running for a few machines. I ...

Thank Post

Xibo - Streaming from a USB TV Tuner to Xibo

Hi All,

Looking for some help/advise?

I am trying to get Xibo setup and running for a few machines. I am trying to get the video and audio from a USB tv tuner to stream so that i can embed the stream on a webpage in Xibo?

I am just wondering if this is doable? I have read some articles and blogs that say that VLC media player will do it. I have given it a go, by going into the stream option, but i am not seeming to have any luck. If possible i would like it to all run off the same machine (Stream to 127.0.0.1)?

Any help on this would be fantastic?

Matt

Thank Post
    I have just been playing around with this myself and have got it working using the following:

This assumes the TV card and VLC is installed on the same computer as Xibo client.

1) find the appropriate frequency of the channel group you want, use this program on the computer with the tv tuner installed (http://www.wintvcd.co.uk/tools/ScanChannelsBDA_UK.exe) and it will compile a list of all the channels and the appropriate frequency of the group containing the channel you want to stream (use the Frequency (As Locked) number).

2) In VLC got to Media > Stream > Capture Device, Capture Mode = TV (Digital), Device Selection = DVB-T, Transponder/multiplex frequency= frequency obtained from above program, Bandwidth = 8MHz. Click Stream then next, change destination to RTP/MPEG Transport stream click Add, address = localhost, untick activate Transcoding, click Stream, once timecode starts going click playback > programme and select the channel you wish to stream.

3) In Xibo create a region and use the embedded option, add a duration and copy the below script in to the Embed HTML box:

<OBJECT classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab"
    width="860" height="480" id="vlc" events="True"> <param name="Src" value="rtp://@localhost:5004" /> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> <param name="AutoLoop" value="False" /> <param name="AutoPlay" value="True" />

You will need to play around with the region size and the width and height settings in the script as the streamed video will not automatically scale to the region.

All being well the TV stream should now be showing within the Xibo Client.

My next step is to create a batch file that will automatically start the streaming process if the computer is rebooted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    What he says above!

From when I have put the question to the dev's before that is the only way possible. At present there is no plans to add staight passthrough from hardware to xibo.
    Last edited by glennda; 24th May 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Perfect guys! Will give it a go and let you know how it goes!

Thank Post
    Okay guys. Been doing some testing at home. I dont have a TV tuner, but i have been using the webcam on my laptop for testing purposes. I have followed your instructions, and missed out the bits specifically relating to the TV tuner. I have setup the stream through VLC, and embedded the code in the Xibo layout. All i get on the client machine is a black screen with the VLC logo in the middle? So it seems like it is picking up the stream, but not picking up any video??

Any more help on this would be great??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gream0604 View Post
    Okay guys. Been doing some testing at home. I dont have a TV tuner, but i have been using the webcam on my laptop for testing purposes. I have followed your instructions, and missed out the bits specifically relating to the TV tuner. I have setup the stream through VLC, and embedded the code in the Xibo layout. All i get on the client machine is a black screen with the VLC logo in the middle? So it seems like it is picking up the stream, but not picking up any video??

Any more help on this would be great??
    does the client have VLC installed? one other thing to try is just a webpage with embeded code - which can be run from a desktop to ensure its working. Rule that out and we can look further at Xibo if needs be.

Thank Post
    They are all running on the same PC?

I have just tried the embed from a html page, and it again does not work. I just get a black box on the screen, and no video, so it must be something with the actual stream then??

I have tried some of the other stream settings, and still had no luck??

Thank Post
    I have just tried doing a quick test streaming using a webcam aswell and it would work either however if I try streaming a movie file it does work (no change was made to the embed code between the two tests), it may be just something to do with webcams. Another thing to check is if the port is accessible through the firewall, initially try disabling your firewall and seeing if it works, you can always reenable it later and add an exception for the port.

9. Thanks to HilcrRWise from:

gream0604 (27th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Okay hi guys ... My USB TV Tuner arrived over the weekend, so i have been trying to get this to work. I managed to get it streaming from a movie file fine, and i am now able to open the live tv feed through VLC. However when i try and stream it, using the instructions in post 2, i seem to get a blank screen and just the audio??

I have tried some of the other settings, just playing around with it, and cant seem to get the video working at all??

Any ideas or help guys??

Matt

Thank Post
    Did you change the programme in VLC (last part of step 2) as usually when I initially start the stream it comes up as one of the radio channels.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Did you change the programme in VLC (last part of step 2) as usually when I initially start the stream it comes up as one of the radio channels.
    Yea, i made sure i changed the channel to BBC News Channel. Any other ideas?

Thank Post
    Try playing with the height and width settings in the embed script. I have had a few instances where no video would play when certain sizes were used (I don't know if the audio was working or not at those points as I have the sound muted).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread