+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Video Linking 3 separate locations in Technical; Hi all. Semi-frequent lurker, first time poster, so here goes... In preperation for a school-wide presentation later this year, I ...

Thank Post

Video Linking 3 separate locations

Hi all.

Semi-frequent lurker, first time poster, so here goes...

In preperation for a school-wide presentation later this year, I have been charged with investigating the possibility of video linking 3 separate locations around school.
    The idea being that each area can see each other area live, on a large screen, with one area at a time being the 'active' camera that the other areas pay attention to - there is even talk of someone running around from area to area, presenting in an Anneka Rice-like fashion...
    The whole thing will last about an hour or two.
    I haven't a clue how best to go about doing something like this - is it something I should approach from a Skype-type angle, or am I way off there?
    I'm thinking I don't have any suitable equipment for this kind of 'show', so it might need all to be brought in.
    Anyone got any useful leads about who I could speak to even - AV hire-companies?
    Has anyone done anything like this before?

Just wish we had an indoor space large enough for the whole school then we wouldn't need any of this faff... (there is a possibility of doing this outside with a huge marquee, but we want to compare likely costs before we decide)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Thank Post
    You could try Skype group calling. You can connect up to 10 people at once.....and its free as far as I know. Not sure on image quality through. I'm assuming you will be connecting to the large screens via a laptop/PC??

Thank Post
    Ok thanks for the tip. Skype had tentatively been suggested as a way forward, so it's something I will definitely explore.
    I guess we will have laptops in each of the 3 areas - I can always do a dummy run well in advance in my office using

Thank Post
    ... the intended equipment.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    depending on cost vs quality of picture and sound you could get 3 ip cameras plug them into the network in the 3 seperate locations and have a few browser windows pointing at the various cameras?

Thank Post
    Google Plus Hangouts? It will switch to whoever is talking (which could be whichever microphone is unmuted)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Google Plus Hangouts? It will switch to whoever is talking (which could be whichever microphone is unmuted)
    That's a point I was about to make. A Google Hangout can also be uploaded to YouTube (maybe something for the kids to look back on in their final year!)

Other than that, if you want to do a profesh-CCTV-like jobbie, there's a program on Linux called "ZoneMinder". Maybe for the sake of quick configuration and possibly a one-time use I'd stick to Hangouts, but may be useful if this becomes a 'thing'.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the pointers guys. When I get time (wishful thinking...) I will have a look at this Google Hangout.
    I did speak to Skype about Group Calling - all I would need is a Skype Business account on 1 computer (the 'host') at 5 quid a month, which was much cheaper than I expected.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread