+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Interactive Projectors VS Interactive Whiteboards in Technical; Morning, When refitting classrooms,we usually have a standard of using a Hitachi Trio FX Interactive boards with a short throw ...

Thank Post

Interactive Projectors VS Interactive Whiteboards

Morning,

When refitting classrooms,we usually have a standard of using a Hitachi Trio FX Interactive boards with a short throw Hitachi projector. I have noticed now that Hitachi are starting to push out interactive projectors which negates the need for the board. Just wondering if anyone else has trialled interactive projectors (any brand) and if they are of any cop and what issues they faced when using them?

Would love feedback as I am looking to either make a purchase within the next few days!

Thanks guys and gals!

Thank Post
    We are going to try some very soon, I have used the Hitachi ones (had a trial one for a few days) Teachers were happy with it. Make sure it doesnt get "moved" in any way though, like the ceiling being shuck (by kids in thr class above) for example they don't like that. Also make sure the wall/ board is hard and flat against the wall.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

andyturpie (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the swift feedback, can I ask if the projector in question was short throw?

Thank Post
    It was an Hitachi short throw one, the newer models with the reversed mirror on it. I liked it, it was as accurate as a Smartboard.

We are going to be buying (for two rooms) the Smart Projectors (LightRaise 40, I think) though, because "all our classrooms must have identical facilities" .

My concern is that these projectors have active pens, which means they cost if they get lost. We don't have a huge problem with that here but you could effectively stop a classroom being "useable" because one pen is lost.

6. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Ah these pens are the bane of my life. We initially purchased 10 duo FX boards around 3 years ago, 8 of the pens have been damaged through dropping on the floor and damaging the battery lid, or the digitiser getting damaged when teachers were pressing too hard to compensate for poor battery life. Our next shipment of boards arrived without pens, so we have just had to shell out nearly £1800 for the extra pens...

and i'm guessing that the interactive projectors won't have a "finger mode"?

NDW

Thank Post
    the hitachi iPJ-AW250NM uses ebeam inside the projector, but it is combined with the hitachi software which makes the projector very good.

IMO they are a suitable replacement but you need to make sure the room height will allow for the installation as iv had problems with that before

9. Thanks to NDW from:

Thank Post
    Smartboards have the advantage of not needing a special pen, particularly useful in a shared environment where the pens stand a much greater chance of going missing.

Interactive projectors, on the other hand, can produce a larger image.

Thank Post
    We have some Epson interactive projectors, teachers liked them at first but then felt they became a little more of a hindrance when compared to a smartboard. Some of the reasons were a little wayward such as "you have one pen for everything as opposed to a pen and a rubber on a smarboard which means it takes me longer to do something, even more if the tools bar is minimised". In fairness I can see their point to some extent.
    Now though I think there is a little more of a divide, younger staff are keen to implement ipads, apple TV and VNC between a PC, where as older staff are still keen on smartboards. I try to provide which ever the teacher feels can assist them best in delivering their lessons which appears to be a positive amongst staff and SMT.

12. Thanks to Max_Power from:

Thank Post
    I'm sure the Hitachi we trialled had a button on the pen that you could set to anything, we tried setting it to change pen type (i.e colour and rubber) and I remember it working.

If and when i get a SMART Projector then I will let you know good it is to.

14. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Cheers for the feedback guys - the majority of the established teachers here do not embrace the full functionality of an IWB. For the them its just to show a presentation or film clip on and if at the end of the day, the girls are getting outstanding exam results upon leaving, i'm not going to argue. Moving to interactive projectors will save around IRO £800 in kitting out a room and the savings can be passed onto updating the other classrooms in waiting. Our timetable here is very dynamic which means at sometime within a week someone will make use of its interactive services

Will definately be interested to hear feedback on the SMART boards, Achandler!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    the majority of the established teachers here do not embrace the full functionality of an IWB. For the them its just to show a presentation or film clip on and if at the end of the day, the girls are getting outstanding exam results upon leaving, i'm not going to argue. Moving to interactive projectors will save around IRO £800 in kitting out a room
    If they're not using the interactivity, then why not save even more and get "normal" projectors instead?

17. Thanks to enjay from:

Thank Post
    Hi - We've started trialing a Hitachi IPJ-AW250N and, so far, it's looks to be great improvement over our existing projectors (projects directly onto a light green wall and gives an excellent picture) - and the teachers like it. As always with these things, we'll be giving it few weeks to see how it holds up to the 'rigours' of day-to-day use.

19. Thanks to MarkSixsmith from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    If they're not using the interactivity, then why not save even more and get "normal" projectors instead?
    Good question, our timetable is ultra dynamic, for instance we currently have maths lessons (teachers who use interactivity) in some science classes when rooms are scarce, they would make use of all the features.

Thank Post
    I think casio is also worth looking into - it's the front runner so far contemplating summer installs. SMART LightRaise 40wi was being considered, but like their current projectors, it seems won't support a typical high mac resolution image, which is a must for our graphics rooms needing at least 1680×1050.
    Last edited by exim; 13th May 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Used a few of these interactive projectors, they seem to work well enough. Main downfall is the pens and potentially shaking/moving of image.
    If you can afford it I'd suggest looking at Interactive LCD Screens (for example CleverTouch)? Full HD displays, no shaking, interactivity, dual touch. Downfall being you need a good solid wall.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast