+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, iPad + Apple TV vs Interactive Whiteboard in Technical; I have been looking into viability of using an iPad mirrored to a projector via Apple TV instead of the ...

Thank Post

iPad + Apple TV vs Interactive Whiteboard

I have been looking into viability of using an iPad mirrored to a projector via Apple TV instead of the standard use of either a interactive projector or Promethean/Smart whiteboard solution. We are currently going though a new build and will be having a new AV system in every classroom. So I am looking into every option to see what would be right for our school.

Has anyone tried this setup or looking to try this setup themselves or have a tottally different idea of an AV setup?

There are some obvious advantages such as cost, being able to move around the class while teaching and handing pupils the iPad to work on rather than trying to get pupils to come to the front of the class on a whiteboard along with the wealth of apps available. Obviously there are some disadvantages aswell such as not having access to software such as activ inspire and other windows based software and the management from an I.T. point of view may be difficult.

What are other peoples thoughts about this? are Interactive whiteboards a thing of the past or is it their use and training the issue that needs to be looked at?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We have this running to some degree. It does work, but the mirroring thing does not work with all iPad apps.

There is a free app called Whiteboard which allows Teacher+Pupil collaboration via Apple TV and your school wireless. That works ok.

We haven't been using it very long, so I cannot give you too much feedback on it, but it does seem to work at the moment.

Andrew

Thank Post
    I suspect the best option is actually both.

If a teacher wants to use an iPad then make sure they can. We are having Interactive projectors put into place, that have HDMI in on them as well, then have apple TVs and a computer.

What are you going to do when a supply teachers comes in and can't use the projector because you only have Apple TV? or are you gonna have £400 items sat around on the size just in case...

iPads are a tool that some teachers may use to teach they are by no means a replacement.

Thank Post
    We are using iPADs and AppleTV here on a smaller scale and it has crossed my mind that this could be an ideal IWB replacement. We have over 40 IWB's installed across the school and if I am totally honest, no matter how much training we have provided they do still get used as expensive blackboards and have since just installed projectors into our other 30 classrooms. If we were to rip out all of our IWB's this weekend, I don't think we would have that big of a revolt by staff other than the occasional one or two.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mshill View Post
    There are some obvious advantages such as cost, being able to move around the class while teaching and handing pupils the iPad to work on rather than trying to get pupils to come to the front of the class on a whiteboard along with the wealth of apps available. Obviously there are some disadvantages aswell such as not having access to software such as activ inspire and other windows based software and the management from an I.T. point of view may be difficult.

What are other peoples thoughts about this? are Interactive whiteboards a thing of the past or is it their use and training the issue that needs to be looked at?
    Wealth of Apps, as if Windows does not have hundreds of millions of apps by now, not counting the free flash ones.

Try looking at projectors that support projection over ethernet like the Epson ones, we use this in conjunction with our wireless network to provide the best of both worlds. Teachers an wander about with their laptops and still control/project to it. They can use the IWB over its wireless link (mimio) and if you are into the tablet form factor there are the little Dell slates about now or the new hp and Dell slates comming at the end of the year with 8-10hrs battery life. They can also use flash and are managable.

Thank Post
    The definitive video on the subject of Apple TV replacing electronic whiteboards, doc cams and free software, presented by an Apple Distinguished Educator. Must watch!
    Also, look at http://www.maxcases.com, actual education prices are about $24 and <$179. Don't pay attention to prices on the website, I'm told.

Thank Post
    Apple TV was my first option when we decided to roll out iPads to all our teachers. I then came up against the problem of internet access as it needs to authenticate on our smoothwall. I tried jail breaking which worked and then they bought out Apple TV 3. I couldn't achieve authenticating at the time and it meant anything streaming from the iPad like youtube wouldn't work as the iPad seems to hand over to the Apple TV. It also would have cost several thousand to equip our projectors with Apple TV and this seemed a shame.

I then found Reflector App which allows Airplay to a Windows PC. This gives us the facility of mirroring and Airplay for a fraction of the price. The software can be deployed and the bean counters are happy because of the savings.

XiJ

Thank Post
    AppleTV + iPads are certainly been used in the some of the schools I look after. One of the things we've come up against in one school is the Managed Wireless system not passing on Apple's Bonjour (mDNS?) packets which means the iPads can't see the AppleTV (or printers for that matter).

I've also come across Reflector software (though haven't used yet) but that would be an option. There is also Fingerprint which allows printing from iPads to 'any' shared printer

If I was spec'ing a new build, I'd be looking at LCD/LED interactive screens over projection and Smart/Promethian. I'd also connect an AppleTV direct to the HDMI of ones of those screens if I had a few iPads in school.

Still quite new (!) to posting on Edugeek so don't want to upset people and start advertising but happy to offer advice/share experience where I can on this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread