+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, LIfe Channel alternatives in Technical; Hello, I have ben asked to look into and cost up some life channel alternatives. I looked into Xibo briefly ...

Thank Post

Question LIfe Channel alternatives

Hello,

I have ben asked to look into and cost up some life channel alternatives. I looked into Xibo briefly before we had Life Channel installed, and is one I will be looking into again as there has been some development since.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Life Channel. I also would like to provide a solution that allows for the embedding of Live TV, such as from a MythTV setup.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Concerto

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

HodgeHi (17th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Our Life Channel subscription is up this year (thank God, I wouldn't have signed up to it!) and I'm hoping to get Xibo running on a Raspberry Pi... seems like the perfect solution to me.

Thank Post
    The initial read about Concerto seems quite interesting. However, when trying got get it to run, it turned out to be a different story. I am not quite sure what is going on. When loading the page in Safari 5.1.5 I get a whole load of text looking like this

dChild('id', $content->id); $c_xml->addChild('title', htmlspecialchars($content->name)); $c_xml->addChild('user_id', $content->user_id); $c_xml->addChild('body', htmlspecialchars($content->content)); $c_xml->addChild('start_time', $content->start_time); $c_xml->addChild('end_time', $content->end_time); $c_xml->addChild('submitted', $content->submitted); } //echo $xml->asXML(); return $this->xml_handler($xml); } //Take XML and apply rules to generate content items function xml_handler($xml){ //Setup some defaults if needed if(is_numeric($this->rules['items_per_content'])){ $items_per_content = $this->rules['items_per_content']; } else { $items_per_content = 3; } if(is_numeric($this->rules['max_items'])){ $max_items = $this->rules['max_items']; } else { $max_items = 0; } //Process Header if(array_key_exists('header', $this->rules)){ $header_arr = $this->rules['header']; $header_template = ''; if(array_key_exists('template', $header_arr)){ $header_template = $header_arr['template']; //Populate it with the default template } if(is_array($hea...
    At the bottom is the following errors

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 103 Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 103 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/app/pages/controller.php on line 61 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 212
    I'm not quite sure how to fix this.

The diagnostic page is rendering OK except there are no results being returned at all. I would accept bright red failed results at the moment.

Thank Post
    The initial read about Concerto seems quite interesting. However, when trying got get it to run, it turned out to be a different story. I am not quite sure what is going on. When loading the page in Safari 5.1.5 I get a whole load of text looking like this

dChild('id', $content->id); $c_xml->addChild('title', htmlspecialchars($content->name)); $c_xml->addChild('user_id', $content->user_id); $c_xml->addChild('body', htmlspecialchars($content->content)); $c_xml->addChild('start_time', $content->start_time); $c_xml->addChild('end_time', $content->end_time); $c_xml->addChild('submitted', $content->submitted); } //echo $xml->asXML(); return $this->xml_handler($xml); } //Take XML and apply rules to generate content items function xml_handler($xml){ //Setup some defaults if needed if(is_numeric($this->rules['items_per_content'])){ $items_per_content = $this->rules['items_per_content']; } else { $items_per_content = 3; } if(is_numeric($this->rules['max_items'])){ $max_items = $this->rules['max_items']; } else { $max_items = 0; } //Process Header if(array_key_exists('header', $this->rules)){ $header_arr = $this->rules['header']; $header_template = ''; if(array_key_exists('template', $header_arr)){ $header_template = $header_arr['template']; //Populate it with the default template } if(is_array($hea...
    At the bottom is the following errors

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 103 Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 103 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/app/pages/controller.php on line 61 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/common/user.php:413) in /Volumes/Data/Websites/concerto/admin/index.php on line 212
    I'm not quite sure how to fix this.

The diagnostic page is rendering OK except there are no results being returned at all. I would accept bright red failed results at the moment.

diag_screen.png
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 17th April 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

If you are still looking you might want to check out Noticeboardtv who are able to use the existing Life Channel equipment and save costs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eformula View Post
    Hi

If you are still looking you might want to check out Noticeboardtv who are able to use the existing Life Channel equipment and save costs.
    I requested a quote on keeping the equipment and it was into the 2000 mark... In the end I just bought our own TV bracket, 40" TV and a Sapphire Mini-PC Edge-HD to stick in our false ceiling for ~650... works extremely well. Just going to build up a custom PHP site to manage content for the office staff and a front end scrip, probably in Python, to manage the information ticker and content playback.

I also looked into Xibo but didn't really like it... it was a little to techie oriented in my mind for the teaching staff to use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread