+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Xibo & Windows 7 in Technical; We have Xibo running on some old computers running Windows XP scattered around but now we want to get a ...

Thank Post

Xibo & Windows 7

We have Xibo running on some old computers running Windows XP scattered around but now we want to get a generic PC & Image so we can get some consistency but I'm running into a problem. I've got some spare machines that I've configured with Windows 7 and all works well except 1 thing. I have set the client up to automatically logon and start Xibo so that if there are any power problems/unexpected restarts etc, all a user has to do is power on the machine and it will go right back to displaying content. However, if I do this when Xibo starts it will load up fine, but then the task bar comes on the screen. If I launch the software manually it works no problem. I've tried changing the notification icons to Hide Icon & notification but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I also thought it may be due to the cursor hovering over the show desktop button (as it keeps starting at the bottom right) but I've changed the taskbar location and it didn't make any difference.

The thing is that because the task bar seems to be on top, when a video is showing for some reason it seems to stutter. Has anyone else had an experience of why the taskbar keeps loading ontop of Xibo?

Thank Post
    In case anyone has similar issues...I've kind of got round the problem by deleting the shortcut from the startup folder and putting a schedule task in on logon with a delay of 30 seconds. It seems that there was some other services running which caused the task bar to pop up ontop of Xibo and caused problems. Although I would have like to have found out what (as there is very little installed), this workaround is good enough for now.

Thank Post
    I spoke too soon, not quite solved this one yet. I have seen from the post here that is a known issue with Windows 7 that it launches Xibo and moves the cursor to the bottom right which then causes either the desktop to show or xibo client to run in the background.

For some reason it doesn't seem to happen all the time, and from the Xibo forums it seems that this can be caused by another process taking focus from Xibo which then results in the cursor hoving over the show desktop. But as it is happening randomly, how can I go about trying to find out what is causing it, or does anyone else have any issues with running it on Windows 7?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Are you running VNC on the machines?

On my XP machines its the only thing which brings the cursor to the front.

Thank Post
    I am yes, but I changed the settings to hide any notification coming which should prevent bringing the cursor to the front (apparently). Although it seems to work, every now and again it pops up with the cursor on top. Are there any other settings I can check to prevent this?

Thank Post
    OK, another update on this one. I keep getting the following error message:

Microsoft powerpoint has stopped working

Using Windows 7 & Office 2010 and followed the guide to prevent any messages showing up but it still does. Anyone else had this problem. The powerpoints themselves aren't big files. Oringinally I thought it might have been due to the duration they were running but just had it happen this morning on a test machine I'm running.

Thank Post
    I get this quite a lot with Xibo on 7. In the end I blocked dwm.exe, dwwin.exe and werfault.exe from running (these are the Dr Watson fault reporting modules), this causes some quirks time to time but it's still much more stable. I still get the fun of Powerpoint opening on top of Xibo occasionally, despite having the appropriate fixit installed.

8. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

penfold (30th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Right I'll try blocking these. It is slightly annoying as I have been using Xibo on XP for about the last 18months without any problems. We are now expanding the use and have put it onto Windows 7 clients and I keep getting strange issues

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread