+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Xibo's not updating! in Technical; Hello all, We have had Xibo installed for a while but just started getting it configured properly with multiple displays ...
    Thank Post

Xibo's not updating!

Hello all,

We have had Xibo installed for a while but just started getting it configured properly with multiple displays this week.

I have 7 PCs all running the Xibo client. Each one has a different license key at present, though we may configure a couple with the same key so they show the same layout, but for now it's 7 separate displays. They are all listed as Logged In and their status is good.

However, the only way I can get the displays to pick up any changes to a layout, or indeed to pick up that their default layout has changed, is to log off and log back on to a machine...not even just restarting the client seems to fix it. Also once a layout has been picked up, they'll all be running OK, and then sometimes they will show the Xibo client splash screen for a few minutes and then revert back to the layout we've selected!

I have turned on Auditing and Logging and Test modes to try and get information from Xibo and the displays, but there's no entries in the log that seem to give any useful information. Clients are all XP, server is IIS with PHP on Win Server 2003.

Anyone else had any similar issues or got any tips we can try?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Delete all the content from the local Xibo display on the client and re launch the Xibo client to check that it is ok. If you want to check that updates are happening, lower the Collection Interval to something which contacts the server every minutes (the time is in seconds and the deafault is 900 secs). Any content that is updated will be downloaded completly before the display changes so it may be that the new content hasn't completely downloaded.

I have had issues similar to yours and it seemed the local content was to blame. It looked like it was already downloaded but for some reason didn't display it at all. Delete the entire local contents and forcing a new download sorted that though.

Also, you dont need the same key to display the same information. Layouts can be scheduled to more than 1 screen at once, or alternatively create a group and put all the screens you want in there. When you schedule your layouts you can then pick the group and they will automatically download the same content.

Thank Post
    Thanks penfold - I tried all of these things but couldn't get anywhere... I'm afraid I had to give up on Xibo - I can see the potential but it just wasn't working for us, which is a shame because it's so cool. In the end I wrote my own solution...it will get us going for now until I have more time to devote to Xibo!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I don't think IIS is supported/works very well - use Apache as its known to work well with that.

Thank Post
    Thanks glennda,

I tried two different IIS 6 servers and a WAMP installation on my desktop PC...but I will certainly try a "real" apache installation when I get more time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Yeah I've got in running on 12 screens around the school, you need to make sure you check the cache timeout limit on the devices and see what it is set to - normally its 15 mins

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread