+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, MimioStudio 9.12 MSI Deploy through GPO? in Technical; Mimio has released their MimioStudio software as an MSI for quite some time and although it installs fine quietly with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question MimioStudio 9.12 MSI Deploy through GPO?

Mimio has released their MimioStudio software as an MSI for quite some time and although it installs fine quietly with no interface it hangs when deploied with GPO. I have heard of MST changes that makes it work but have not been able to track them down. Has anyone else managed this?

I wish Mimio would just fix their installer as other than that their software is rather good.

Edit: found this
    Can I push the software update through my network? MimioStudio 7.11 and later can be installed with Group Policy, and we do support a silent installation. (A silent installation is one that runs without displaying any user interface.) The setup parameters are typically specified on the command line.
    The main part of the installation program is a Windows Installer package (example: mimiostudio.msi) that is run by MSIEXEC. Among the various Msiexec parameters, the /q option is used to set the user interface level. Usually q or qn creates no user interface.
    An example for Silent Installation is below:
    “<Path>\mimiostudio.msi” /qn ALLUSERS=1 /Lvuc <Path>\install.log
    https://mimio.custhelp.com/app/answe...group%20policy but its still not much help for a GPO deploy, I may be having a thick day though.

Edit2: the installer is avalible here and fixes flash issues with Mimio and Flash above v11: http://www.mimio.dymo.com/en-us/Support/Downloads.aspx
    Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd April 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Problem I'm having is updating versions. We push the software out via Altiris, it's basically just a job that runs "\\DFS-SHARE\mimiostudio.msi /qn ALLUSERS=1" at cmd line. Works just fine. I would be interested in knowing what the /Lvuc is. That command installs Mimio and puts it in the Start/Startup folder, so Mimiosys runs everytime someone logs in. Unfortunately when a new version comes out and I edit the job for the new filename...it won't install because mimiosys is always running in the background and it doesn't seem to kill the process. I've tried a vbscript to kill the service, but it doesn't work. We also don't give our users any admin rights, so they can't run the install as themselves. We have a ticket in on this, though I haven't heard anything for weeks.

I'm contemplating testing a msiexec /u mimiostudio to uninstall it and then, in the same script, run the install of the new version. Just haven't had time to try it yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond1973 View Post
    I'm contemplating testing a msiexec /u mimiostudio to uninstall it and then, in the same script, run the install of the new version. Just haven't had time to try it yet.
    That should work,

I'd still like to get GPO deployment working though as we don't have Altris, their docs say that it should work but I have tried and it just hangs. I have an open support conversation but so far the best they have managed is sending me back a list of msiexec command line switches. I have informed them that GPO does not actually support command line switches and am waiting to hear back to see if they do actually know how to make it deploy via GPO or if they are lieing/don't know if it can actually deploy via GPO or not.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd April 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Do you already have a version installed to the target computers that you're trying to upgrade? That's what happens with me is it's set for silent install, but because the .sys is always running, the new install just hangs. I then have to reboot, log in and kill the services manually through task manager and then push my job. How long is that list of cmd line switches? If at all possible I'd love to see them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Code:
    The MSI installer for mimio Studio 9 for Windows does enable "silent" install, 
    however the activation for a new machine installation must still be done at the 
    host computer (for the mimio device). The activation will happen automatically 
    and permanently by connecting a mimio device (by USB cable or mimio Wireless) to 
    the machine. Otherwise, a user can use the license key supplied with the 
    original mimio system CD to activate the software.

Windows ® Installer. V 

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional 
    Parameter]

Install Options </package | /i> 
    Installs or 
    configures a product
    /a 
    Administrative install - Installs a product on 
    the network
    /j [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language 
    ID>]
    Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user 
    </uninstall | /x> 
    Uninstalls the product
    Display 
    Options
    /quiet
    Quiet mode, no user interaction
    /passive
    Unattended 
    mode - progress bar only
    /q[n|b|r|f]
    Sets user interface level
    n - No 
    UI
    b - Basic UI
    r - Reduced UI
    f - Full UI (default)
    /help
    Help 
    information
    Restart Options
    /norestart
    Do not restart after the 
    installation is complete
    /promptrestart
    Prompts the user for restart if 
    necessary
    /forcerestart
    Always restart the computer after 
    installation
    Logging Options
    /l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] 
    <LogFile>
    i - Status messages
    w - Nonfatal warnings
    e - All error 
    r - Action-specific records
    u - User 
    requests
    c - Initial UI parameters
    m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit 
    information
    o - Out-of-disk-space messages
    p - Terminal properties
    v - 
    Verbose output
    x - Extra debugging information
    + - Append to existing log 
    file
    ! - Flush each line to the log
    * - Log all information, except for v 
    and x options
    /log <LogFile>
    Equivalent of /l* 
    <LogFile>
    Update Options
    /update [;Update2.msp]
    Applies 
    update(s)
    /uninstall <PatchCodeGuid>[;Update2.msp] /package 
    Remove 
    update(s) for a product
    Repair Options
    /f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] 
    Repairs 
    a product
    p - only if file is missing
    o - if file is missing or an older 
    version is installed (default)
    e - if file is missing or an equal or older 
    version is installed
    d - if file is missing or a different version is 
    installed
    c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated 
    value
    a - forces all files to be reinstalled
    u - all required 
    user-specific registry entries (default)
    m - all required computer-specific 
    registry entries (default)
    s - all existing shortcuts (default)
    v - runs 
    from source and recaches local package
    Setting Public 
    Properties
    [PROPERTY=PropertyValue]
    Which is just the output of msiexec /? from Windows XP

They have since sent me the old silent deployment document again which is equally unhelpful so it looks like I'll be having to dig deeper to try and fix it myself or go back to dislikeing Mimio software as a generic PITA written by devs that seem to lack critical bits of knowlege very applicable to their target market. Its ashame as overall their software is very good apart from this issue.

Extencive internet searching also seems to just result in the same tired deployment document:
    Instructions for Silent Installation

Date: 5/9/11

Product: Studio

Description: MimioStudio 7.11 and later can be installed with Group Policy and we do support a silent installation.

A silent installation is one that runs without displaying any user interface. The setup parameters are typically specified on the command line.

The main part of the installation program is a Windows Installer package (example mimiostudio.msi) that is run by MSIEXEC.
    Among the various MsiExec parameters, the /q option is used to set the user interface level. Usually q or qn creates no user interface. (Note: It is a known issue that Gallery and Components display a progress bar during installation in this mode but it does halt the process in unattended mode.)
    An example for Silent Installation is below:
    "<Path>\mimiostudio.msi" /qn ALLUSERS=1 /Lvuc <Path>\install.log
    Where <Path> is the actual path where the MSI file is located and the install log would be created. ALLUSERS parameter is used to install the application for all the users on the computer. /L flag is used to create the log file.
    A couple of articles that may help are:

Using Group Policy to Deploy Application
    Using Group Policy to Deploy Applications

Best Practices for Group Policy Based Application Deployment
    Best Practices for Group Policy Based Application Deployment
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd April 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Sorry I can't be of much help. I haven't had much luck with their support thus far either. Best of luck to you in getting it working.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All good, thanks for the discussion anyhow, its good to know that others are also deploying it. I have sent off another email requesting elevation to the dev team as I know that it is a feature that would be extremely useful in school environments. I know of at least four that I deal with which would benifit hugely from having this just work as that would be 150 less laptops that needed handholding each time there was an upgrade. We deploy almost everything via GPO and try to avoid stacking scripts on top of each other to get around obstianant software as it just adds complexity and is often not as robust.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Further to this they have emaild back saying that that they have no further documentation so despite what their FAQ says online it does not actually work. They have agreed to submit it to the developers feature request list so hopefully in the comming years it may actually work as expected and not be such a pain to deal with.

Apparently the issue is that it does not actually follow MSI protocols and still attampts to display a progress bar, I did not see this with v9 when using the command line but the behaviour fits and it was probably hidden by the user change (elevated as admin).
    How do I deploy mimo studio : Admin Arsenal Support
    msiexec /i mimiostudio-8.0en.msi /qn ALLUSERS=1
    from a local elevated command prompt the program installs but shows a progress bar.
    The mimo documentation says it can be deployed with group policy but it is a known issue that the installing halts because of this progress bar. Sounds a bit contradictory to me.
    Lets hope the devs have a bit of spare time to get this straigtened out.

Anyone else wanting this feature to be fast tracked should also contact mimio support and request that the MSI be made deployable by GPO, the more requests they have the faster they may get to it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th April 2012 at 06:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Just to share where I stand....I ended up writing a script to uninstall any version that MIGHT be installed on clients on our network (7.11, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0) and installs whichever version I tell it to.... here's the script...

MsiExec.exe /X {F00A1236-196B-4763-8C49-6A772714180F} /q
    MsiExec.exe /X {40164132-D34C-4C0A-9ACD-09A9DEF5FB7B} /q
    MsiExec.exe /X {325A946E-AF95-42A2-ABD4-4F432E970736} /q
    MsiExec.exe /X {12C04D5C-0B99-4DEA-A834-1F9576B8AFF5} /q
    start msiexec /i \\PATH\mimiostudio-9.12-en.msi /quiet ALLUSERS="1"

...unfortunately...the issue with their "mimiosys" process running in the background is still preventing this from running properly. It "appears" as though the process stalls upon trying the installation portion, however it also appears as though after a reboot...the installation continues and finishes. I will have to test that to be sure. It isn't the cleanest method, but if it works...so be it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Epic!!! I got a responce from their tech support people after requesting elevation to the devs and it appears that they have solved it. They sent me a beta/pre-release/testing build of Studio 9.14 which installs flawlessly via GPO on a fresh machine.

I have yet to test it on a machine with an earlier version already installed but should be able to do that tomorrow. I am very pleased about the prospect of all the time that this will end up saving me and everyone else at all the schools that use this gear. Hopefully this gets rolled into the main release at some point so it is solved for everyone.
    @bond1973 - not sure if it addresses your issue but my testing tomorrow should reveil if it will remove an older copy automagicly too.

Thank Post
    Hey there...I actually received an email from them late yesterday as well...with a link to the same file. However, in the email they stated that the issue I'm having is still being worked on. I downloaded the 9.14 anyway, just to have it, but...at least they acknowledged my issue and appear to be working on it. Thanks for keeping me in mind. Good luck with your testing...let me know how it works out for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @bond1973 - I have finally got to trying it via GPO deploy on some of the other laptops in controled conditions and it seems to run over the top of the older 7.11 install fine. Have not yet got a hold of a 9.12 to try it on though.

Have you tried installing in this way as it runs as the system user at startup giving it just about the highest permissions on the system it can ever get a hold of so it may work for you.

Thank Post
    I am glad this got elevated to the devs. I asked for support back on version 8 and was given the list of msiexec switches. I do not use GPO I use PDQ deploy so my users would see a message that says a program is trying to display a message. The message was that progress bar.
    My work around was to write an encoded job with CPAU and asked the users to install it.
    I was going to look at an autoit script or repackaging but if 9.14 is deployable that would be great. How can I get a copy, or is there an ETA on it.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @dana_lehman - The new version should work even with alternate deployment methods as it uses the /q switch and completely suppresses any dialogues as far as I can tell.

I have no idea when it will be released to the general public but you could open a support request asking to get access to the same 9.14 msi package that they gave me under support incident: 120402-000058 for testing. They seem to be quite open to feedback and getting it working as they were interested in hearing how it went for me.

Thank Post
    @SYNACK
    I contacted support but didn't specifically ask for the new version, I just stated my issues and their responce was not helpful. I am waiting to here back from them again. If they come back with the results of msiexc /? like they did with version 8 I will ask for the new beta.

Here are the requests

I have three issues;
    First Mimio studio is still not ready for silent deployment. I have tried all the msiexec switches I know including the syntax suggested by Mimio.
    The installer triggers the interactive services detection dialog because it tries to display a progress bar.
    Please fix your installer so we can deploy this silently to our teachers.

Second and third issue is related to software updates;
    Can I download incremental patches to update from version 9.00 to 9.12 without downloading the entire package, and if so will they be in a format I can deploy?
    Is there an install property I can set to uncheck the notify / check for updates option. My teachers do not have admin rights and are nagged to install software updates.

Thank you,
    And their response

Hi Dana,
    Silent Install should work with MimioStudio 9.12. Are you using any deploy tool like Window SCCM?
    What commands are you using?

Regards,
    and my response to that

Yes it should work, but your installer tries to display a progress bar, when running from a command line you cannot display a gui the install hangs.
    My users get a message telling them that a program is trying to display a message.
    This is from the interactive services detection service, your installer is trying to display a progress bar, and cannot.
    I mostly use PDQ deploy but I have tried with GPO and batch files via schedule tasks.
    The latest command I used is from your website.
    msiexec.exe /i "mimiostudio-9.12-en.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /Lvuc c:\mimio.log
    this is from your site
    https://mimio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2170/kw/group%20policy

Thank you,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast