+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Wireless bird box camera advice wanted in Technical; I've looking to purchase a birdbox camera for our school but I'm stuggling to find one that has all the ...

Thank Post

Wireless bird box camera advice wanted

I've looking to purchase a birdbox camera for our school but I'm stuggling to find one that has all the things I need. It must have:
    Wireless with receiver range up to 25 metres
    Battery power supply (box is 20m from nearest power supply)
    Ability to stream video to a web server OR capture frames that I can upload via FTP

I'm looking at units like this Wireless Day / Night camera with USB receiver

Any advise would be great, AV isn't really my thing

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Calling @mattx ! He's done this

Thank Post
    On a similar topic, our school got one of these with Morrisons Let's Grow vouchers and I've been asked to get it live video streaming on the network!
    CCTV Bird Box Kit - Morrisons

So I need a video capture device that will take the composite signal from the camera receiver, and allow me to stream the captured video live to any PC on the network!
    Not sure if any of the cheap USB capture devices will be up to it - has anyone done anything similar?

Of course, the next questions will be "Can we have it on the Life Channel and school website" ...

Thank Post
    Raspberry Pi project?

Thank Post
    What sort of battery? .. don't they typically come with a 9V?
    I wouldn't think that would last too long and I don't think you wanna go changing battery (frequently?) when the birds are nesting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    battery and wifi might be a tall order. I'd go for PoE.

Thank Post
    The camera comes with a 10m power cable and mains adaptor so if the birdbox is located near enough to a building it can be plugged in.
    If using batteries, the power connector can be outside the birdbox so that the batteries can be changed without having to disturb the nest inside.

As this birdbox was free, this is a low cost project. I'm going to experiment with a cheap USB video convertor. If I can't stream live with it, I can always edit a video of the 'highlights' then use VLC to stream that file to the classroom PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing that I found useful last time I did this was to buy an Axis network video encoder: Video encoders, video servers | Axis Communications
    This will take an analogue signal and feed it into an encoder that will allow you to control the signal (via a webmin built into the device) without putting in a PC running 24/7. They do cost, but compared to the faffing and power consumption of running a pc to control the camera it more than pays for itself, especially as some can be controlled via POE.
    Well worth looking at, especially if the bird box is quite remote.

9. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

hallb15 (11th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    One thing that I found useful last time I did this was to buy an Axis network video encoder: Video encoders, video servers | Axis Communications
    This will take an analogue signal and feed it into an encoder that will allow you to control the signal (via a webmin built into the device) without putting in a PC running 24/7. They do cost, but compared to the faffing and power consumption of running a pc to control the camera it more than pays for itself, especially as some can be controlled via POE.
    Well worth looking at, especially if the bird box is quite remote.
    Thanks for the suggestion. If this was for a CCTV/Security project, I would definitely be looking at the Axis product, however as it is for watching a birdbox which may or may not attract any birds, and which the school obtained for free, I don't think anyone will be investing £200 anytime soon.

Thank Post
    Easiest thing to do is probably sign up to SEGFL birdbox project and let them worry about the hosting of it. It's free for schools! Then use a cheap USB analogue video capture device in an old PC, comand line FME if the PC isn't v powerful. Done.

I really don't think that 9v battery will last much longer than a couple of days! Maybe look at a solar charger for the battery here if it HAD to be wireless.

A raspberry pi encoder would be cool, low power consumption and less money than the Axis. I've got a feeling if you did it with FFMPEG it's not compatible with VP6 encoding, which is what SEGFL uses if you were thinking of going that route.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread