+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Presentation Timing / Managing Software or Hardware for assemblies etc. in Technical; Trying to make things easier (plus a bit more professional) for staff / pupils when giving presentations / assemblies. They ...

Thank Post

Presentation Timing / Managing Software or Hardware for assemblies etc.

Trying to make things easier (plus a bit more professional) for staff / pupils when giving presentations / assemblies.

They usually come to me with say a bunch of photos for a slideshow, or a looping powerpoint and they want to show a video halfway through (either internet or other)

I'd like to get this process automated for them, either with a programmable remote (like logitech harmony for instance) or some other software, to save them flapping about

Any recommendations?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    I'd like to get this process automated for them, either with a programmable remote (like logitech harmony for instance) or some other software, to save them flapping about
    I generally find PowerPoint is flexible enough to handle most front-of-house presentation needs. Any YouTube, etc, videos can be converted via ZamZar.com to AVI files, which can be embedded straight in to a PowerPoint file and set to start as soon as the slide appears on screen. Hardware-wise, a simple wireless keyboard is often best - we use Acer ones that came with a bunch of Revo machines, and they seem to have very good range for compact little keyboards. A Gyration wireless mouse that you can use in mid-air might be nice, but otherwise a standard wireless mouse generally works pretty well.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, thats pretty much the setup we have now (wireless keyboard and presenter remotes)
    I'm just trying to make it as simple and seamless as possible for the end users.

So instead of starting a slideshow (that repeats) and mimimising it, then running a video then restoring etc - just thought there was something out there that would be a bit more "professional"

Inserting video is no problem - except most of our staff really don't know how to, if I suggest alt-tab they stare at me as if i'm from another planet....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    Inserting video is no problem - except most of our staff really don't know how to, if I suggest alt-tab they stare at me as if i'm from another planet....
    PowerPoint 2010 makes video much easier, and best of all, now actually embeds the video in the *.pptx so that people don't have to package up the presentation or worry about bringing the video file in as well. Used to upset a lot of plans that!

Thank Post
    Can't really insert a video on a looped slideshow - I could get them to use some slideshow software - but a macro enabled remote would be better.

Not pushing out 2010 as i've got a replicable issue inserting audio clips causing powerpoint to crash, think I posted a thread on it here somewhere, shame as the audio controls in 2010 are a tonne better.

Maybe i'm trying too hard to make things too easy!

Thank Post
    Make the slide that has the video on it hidden (right click in the slide sorter).

On every other slide, make a button or link (doesn't have to be obtrusive - make it semi-transparent) that links to the hidden slide.

Set your slideshow up in the usual way. The hidden slide will be skipped (make sure that slide isn't set to advance on timer).

When it's time for the video, click the link.

After the video, move to the next slide in the usual way (remembering that clicking on top of the video might start it to play again!) and you're back to the looping slideshow.

7. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

caffrey (16th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could give screenmonkey a try. Screen Monkey - Show and Presentation Control Software can be very useful with multiple presenters videos etc.

10. Thanks to robk from:

caffrey (16th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Exactly the type of thing i was thinking of - cheers.
    Got the powerpoint thing working too so thanks for that suggestion steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread