+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Downloading youtube videos in Technical; I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this or not. Is it OK to download youtube ...
    Gaz

Thank Post

Downloading youtube videos

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this or not. Is it OK to download youtube videos for the purpose of displaying in lessons.
    I personally don't see whats wrong as they are free to stream online, why not make them available offline too.

Thank Post
    No you can't:

Nutzungsbedingungen - YouTube

L.you agree not to access Content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

3. Thanks to ToyHeartsFan from:

jdoyle (27th January 2012)

Gaz

Thank Post
    I guessing thats just because of the adverts they want you to click on which are blocked anyway.
    The way those terms are written implys that streaming isn't allowed in schools, however there is a youtube edu....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I guessing thats just because of the adverts they want you to click on which are blocked anyway.
    The way those terms are written implys that streaming isn't allowed in schools, however there is a youtube edu....
    Well school use is non-commercial (unless it’s a fee paying school?) and if you give the kids the link and tell them to watch it they are using it for “personal” use are they not?

You did ask if it was OK to download clips from youtube and they clearly say that it is not allowed, although as I’m sure you are aware there is software on the net that can capture / download streaming content from youtube. But using such software is against youtubes terms and conditions. If you ignore the terms and download videos you could come unstuck if any of them turn out to be under copyright and are found on your servers.

Just a thought but it might not just be due to lost revenue from ad clicks although they do have to pay for the site somehow. If they said people could download content then they could be classed as a file sharing site and potentially be sued / closed down if material that was under copyright was shared on the site. If they don’t let people download files and they remove any content that is reported they are a lot less likely to get sued / closed down.

Gaz

Thank Post
    It states that you can't download but it also states that you can't stream videos for commercial use. A college (what we are) is fee based so is that classed as commercial?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    It states that you can't download but it also states that you can't stream videos for commercial use. A college (what we are) is fee based so is that classed as commercial?
    I’ve had a look at the terms and this is where you need a lawyer…
    My best guess would be that your use would not be classed as commercial but don’t quote me on that!

E.you agree not to use the Service (including the YouTube Player) for any of the following commercial uses unless you obtain YouTube's prior written approval:
    i.the sale of access to the Service
    ii.the sale of advertising, sponsorships or promotions placed on or within the Service, or Content;
    iii.the sale of advertising, sponsorships or promotions on any page of an ad-enabled blog or website containing Content delivered via the Service unless other material not obtained from YouTube appears on the same page and is of sufficient value to be the basis for such sales

F.prohibited commercial uses shall not include (i) uploading an original video to YouTube, (ii) maintaining an original channel on the Website in order to promote a business or artistic enterprise, (iii) showing YouTube videos through the YouTube Player or otherwise on an ad-enabled blog or website, subject to those advertising restrictions set out in 5.1(E)(iii) above; and (iv) any use that is expressly authorised by YouTube in writing;

Edit: Google own youtube and I believe they are planning on re-writting a number of the terms so they are the same across all of the services they provide so they might change the T&C's. If they do hopefully they will make them some what clearer!
    Last edited by ToyHeartsFan; 27th January 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Thank Post
    You must own all rights to the video and have created the video yourself to "legally" download the video. If he created the video and uploaded it then he is the person who holds the rights to the video, so unfortunately you cannot legally do that.

Provided it is your own video or one of the very rare ones that have a download option. Otherwise, you would most be breaking copyright laws and definitely breaking the rules which you said you would abide by when you made your account.

Anyway, you can always ask a permission directly from the person who uploaded the video by contacting him/her or via commenting the video.

But, I must confess I do it all the time - downloading from youtube to make my coach classes more helpful for students. I don't think that it's really bothering the video owners.

By the way I use this tool anytubedownloader.com for downloading.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    Edit: Google own youtube and I believe they are planning on re-writting a number of the terms so they are the same across all of the services they provide so they might change the T&C's. If they do hopefully they will make them some what clearer!
    Policies & Principles - I just saw them today as all services keep warning me about the change. I didn't see much in there but did pick up on some useful services such as two-factor sign in, and the google authenticator app, so security can be really good for the end user.

The downloading thing, is technically not allowed, but you could argue for educational purposes it's not a commercial use, and for practical reasons it's easier to download it, show it then delete it. Storing it as a resource definitely wouldn't be allowed, at least not without permission. This is however a grey area.

In the past, i've just suggested to teachers, not to rely on it being available, but just get it ready, and make sure it's fully cached, rather than wait for it to actually stream live, as internet problems could cause it to stop half way or stutter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread