+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, SMART announces short-throw interactive projector, surprise reveal for next model in Technical; I don't think SMART were showing this off at BETT but it was featured in a follow-up email I got ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts

SMART announces short-throw interactive projector, surprise reveal for next model

I don't think SMART were showing this off at BETT but it was featured in a follow-up email I got yesterday. The SMART LightRaise 40wi is a short-throw interactive projector that senses a special pen on any surface, without a SMART board.

We have a couple of InFocus interactive projectors that do something similar and I know at least one other EduGeeker uses an Epson one. We've found them to be quite good in classrooms where we don't have the space or money to fit a full IWB solution, and having one that works right with SMART Notebook will make this a compelling purchase for us.

Announcement video here:

The real gem from this video however, is at 2:12 when they mention the future 60wi model:

"The SMART LightRaise 60wi will represent the next evolution of interactive projector... educators will be able to enjoy touch interactivity on an interactive projector."

"... before, we could only use a pen on any surface, this one you can use your finger as well."
    I literally yelled "wait... WHAT?!" at the screen.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 19th January 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake in title

Thank Post
    I saw projectors like this (inc. Prometheanís variant) at the BETT Show.

With the trouble weíve had in the past with SMART Unifi35 projectors, I'm steering clear of SMART projectors for the time being.

We have got one Epson interactive projector (with a pen similar to this) and whilst it works ok (had to get pen replaced due to randomness of its accuracy) itís not on the same level as a dedicated SMART board. Staff/pupils like using their finger to draw and advance slides etc.

Thank Post
    Looks promising. If the price isn't much more than their board/projector/speakers setup, then it looks like a great solution since we pretty much only run smart notebook currently.

The pen appears to have a kensington lock style hole. Perhaps to tie it to a wall to stop them disappearing?

I'd be interested to see full specs; quality of speakers & connectivity...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get it. Why are they focusing on projection technology, when interactive screens are being taken up by many places now, as they have less maintenance, less issues with light etc...

It seems odd to be continuing with this tech really!

Thank Post
    well I guess they're seeing casio and epson taking customers away, thus the need to fill that void in their product line

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I don't get it. Why are they focusing on projection technology, when interactive screens are being taken up by many places now, as they have less maintenance, less issues with light etc...
    Simple: cost. Once you get past about 40", interactive screens are still an order of magnitude more expensive for equivalent display area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Simple: cost. Once you get past about 40", interactive screens are still an order of magnitude more expensive for equivalent display area.
    Not really. A 65" touchscreen tv is now about £3.5k, or a 60" around £3k. Its only Smart who charge £9k for their offering.

An IWB + Projector + install + bulbs over their life costs more than that.

Thank Post
    Interactive screen do not compare they are way over priced you can get a fantastic interactive projector installed for £1200 lets say 100" what price would an equivilent touch screen cost????

And most lamps now carry 5 years cover and at £130 for a lamp i dont think screen have a chance.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc-Engineer View Post
    Interactive screen do not compare they are way over priced you can get a fantastic interactive projector installed for £1200 lets say 100" what price would an equivilent touch screen cost????

And most lamps now carry 5 years cover and at £130 for a lamp i dont think screen have a chance.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    You don't work in a classroom, so you can't really say that they don't compare. Entire countries choose touchscreens over projectors (IIRC. it is rare to find projectors in classrooms in Scandinavian countries, for example from what I've been told.) We have one of our schools on our campus here with 55" screens, and they have about 1/10th the number of issues, day to day, that the smart/projectors do.

Not to mention, what classroom has space for a board that large? None that I've ever come across. We have 60" boards everywhere in this school, and they had 48"/60" ones in my other school. The larger boards have gone in in a few new classrooms, but IMO they are too big.

Reasonably, a 65" screen is a very good size for an average classroom. Not to mention, the many issues with projectors such as:

1. Glare in teachers eyes
    2. If using short throw projectors, you have to stand a distance away in order not to block half the screen
    3. Bulbs
    4. Cleaning
    5. Aging and discolouring
    6. Unsightly
    7. Light from other sources reducing clarity
    8. Expensive installation
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th January 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Hits the nail on the head.

Not really. A 65" touchscreen tv is now about £3.5k, or a 60" around £3k. Its only Smart who charge £9k for their offering.

An IWB + Projector + install + bulbs over their life costs more than that.
    Epson EB-455Wi Interactive WXGA Projector up to 97" display is £1100ish, Replacement lamp £120ish That's 3 classrooms for the price of one

Thank Post
    Video removed by user

Thank Post
    A 65" touchscreen tv is now about £3.5k, or a 60" around £3k.
    Do you have a link to that? I'm intrigued.

Thank Post
    As am I...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts

Thank Post
    Epson EB-455Wi Interactive WXGA Projector up to 97" display is £1100ish, Replacement lamp £120ish That's 3 classrooms for the price of one[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more even the Optoma interactive at around £750 up to 110" , problem is i think people think LCD or LED interactive screen last a long time but they have a half life of around 6 to 7 thousand hrs so they fade with age just like a projector, i do agree they do not need the small bit of maintainence that projectors need but at the cost of the screen it can not be justified to move to screens just yet, if you take the costing of an interactive projector over 7 to 10 years say 3 deep cleans and 2 lamps cost would be around 450 plus buying cost say 1100 = 1550 still less than half the price of a small screen. i do find schools are now moving to larger screen most here are moving to 89" with ultra close focus so no possability of any shadowing at all. As i have said before i am not against the screens it is just they are not as yet able to compete with projectors and in my opinion it would be money poorly spent, and i know around here the school governers would be asking questions of what the head was thinking spending money on what in my mind is a step back in technology.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast