+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Web Cam Streaming in Technical; I'm after some ideas on the best ways to stream video from an IP Camera to our school website. The ...
    Thank Post

Web Cam Streaming

I'm after some ideas on the best ways to stream video from an IP Camera to our school website.

The camera is over looking the building work for our new school and we would like to show the ongoing progress on our website.

Like I said the camera is IP based so I guess I could just connect directly to the stream or use VLC to stream to the site but not sure what difference this would make. The web server is running Ubuntu and the website is built using Drupal.

Ideally I'd like the stream to only be available during certain times of the day but the onboard camera software doesn't support this functionality, anyone know how I could achieve this please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you want it embedded or would a streaming link work. Personally I'd use Windows Media services and push an ASF out as thats my prefference but there are lots of options in *nix.

Possible a chron job and VLC to take the stream and restream it. You could also just use a chron job to reverse proxy apache to the internal camera viewer at set times but that is insecure and would put lots of load on the camera probably crashing it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here we go VLC restreaming plus this: HTML5 Video Player | VideoJS to embed it nicely even has a drupal plugin

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

AngryITGuy (15th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You might also want to consult with your legal folk ... in conversation with another school which is being rebuilt, the contractors have insisted that there is a delay of about an hour ... this is partly to ensure that should a H&S incident occurs that it is not put out on the internet, possibly distressing those involved or their families. The cynic might say so it is to allow them to cover things up, but they did point out that they prefer to have evidence such as this so that they can work with HSE to sort out what went wrong ... and that HSE would ask some challenging questions if the video went missing anyway.

Thank Post
    I have used this in the past, its not free (although you can download the free version to test it) but I really like it.

WebCamXP

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread