+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, IPad for controlling IWB/Projector in Technical; I've been asked if we can get some iPads used remotely for accessing the computer which is connected to the ...

Thank Post

IPad for controlling IWB/Projector

I've been asked if we can get some iPads used remotely for accessing the computer which is connected to the IWB. The reasoning is that they want it to allow teachers to move through the class and still have control of the screen at the front. I have been given an iPad to get this working so rather than starting from scratch I assume someone has already done this and can point me in the right direction.

I was asked can we use slashtop software which a teacher has used on their own machine at home. I have suggested that at a very basic level they could use their laptop and link to that using their existing software if this needed to be done quickly, but I would really like to use a better solution. And as I'm the one doing the testing I dont want to purchase lots of different apps to get it to work.

I have used logmein which I know works here, but from reading reviews some of the remote apps provide more lag than others. The idea is to use 5/6 ipads in various rooms so it needs to be a solution which is fairly easy for the user to get to grips with. I had thought I could install the software on the computers required which the user would only run when accessing it for remote control. Then have a basic password for the remote software.

If anyone can provide any advice in what others have done it would be much apreciated. This isn't an urgent thing as they are trialling the ipads to see how much useage they will get, but one of the advatages they want to try is mobility in the classroom.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could use VNC. That is basic free and will do the trick.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

penfold (27th October 2011)

Thank Post
    or you could use this Genee Slate, Digital Drawing Tablet, Graphic Tablets, Graphic Pads, Digitizing Tablet

it will allow you to roam around the classroom and still control the pc/IWB and also allow you to annotate over live images/programs

Hope that helps?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I've been asked if we can get some iPads used remotely for accessing the computer which is connected to the IWB.
    I'd probably try VNC, although I'm not sure what performance will be like - one of those things to try out and see how you get on. I have VNC servers installed on some teacher's workstations here, with the idea being that other teachers can log on and remote-control their screens. I have an install script that installs a VNC server on the workstation with a randomised password set. The script then writes this random password to a VNC client shortcut in a folder that only teachers have access to, so a teacher (or, indeed, several teachers at the same time) can connect to another teacher's desktop by simply double-clicking a shortcut.

6. Thanks to dhicks from:

penfold (27th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I was thinking of VNC as I've used it in the past, but didn't know what the performance would be like and was hoping someone had already tried this

Thanks guys, I'll have a play and see what happens.

Thank Post
    @Templar - thats no use for me as they already have the ipad, they are just trying to make the most use out of it. thanks for the suggestion though.

Thank Post
    I was thinking of VNC as I've used it in the past, but didn't know what the performance would be like
    I think performance is largely going to depend on local network performance - whether your wireless network and other infrastructure is up to the job. From using VNC on desktop machines, though, it seems to handle overloads pretty well - if it can't display a video in a window, for instance, it simply skips it and leaves it blank, the user still has control of the rest of the screen. You can actually get VNC clients for the iPad which don't draw any video output, they simply relay mouse cursor position to the machine being controlled - they act as a trackpad. That might be a good option as the teacher will be right in the classroom, able to see the display at the front.

Thank Post
    A wireless mouse would be cheaper - and simpler to use.

Not as 'wow' as a fondleslab mind..

Thank Post
    Splashtop Remote Desktop. Using here for testing - seems ok.

12. Thanks to Abaddon from:

3s-gtech (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post

Not as 'wow' as a fondleslab mind..
    That isn't what I'm after. Please dont take this down the alternative and cheaper route. We already have Ipads and want to make the most of them. One of the suggestions was remote access during teaching in a classroom, hence my question.

Thank Post
    OK, in addition to this, what is the easiest way to set the user up on an Ipad? I already have an account as I have an Ipod Touch, but I dont want to sync all my details to the Ipad. Can I set a new account on Itunes for the Ipad and still use my own account for the Ipod Touch?

Thank Post
    Nevermind, sorted the account out now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Depends, though - if your teachers roam around different classrooms, they could use their iPad as their own, personal device for email, MIS, etc, and the machines in the rooms connected to the front-of-class display could log on with a generic account with access to a shared resources area ready for anyone with an iPad to connect and use. No need for a separate screen for the teacher to use, they could just use their iPad, maybe with a keyboard dock on the teacher's desk.

Thank Post
    That isn't what I'm after. Please dont take this down the alternative and cheaper route. We already have Ipads and want to make the most of them. One of the suggestions was remote access during teaching in a classroom, hence my question.
    Fairy nuff.

NDW

Thank Post
    ActivEngage Goes Mobile!
    ActivEngage, Promethean's software-based Learner Response System, will shortly be available to use on Android and Apple iOS mobile devices, such as iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone.
    ActivEngage Mobile is a brand-new 'App' that enables learners to use their own devices to contribute to lessons by responding to questions directly from the device that they are already familiar with. Used in conjunction with ActivEngage and either ActivInspire or Promethean ActivOffice, ActivEngage Mobile is ideal for those 'Bring Your Own Device' type initiatives that are becoming more and more established within learning environments around the world.

ActivEngage Mobile available from 18th November.
    ActivEngage Mobile can be downloaded directly from the Apple App Store and Android Market from November 18th.* More information about downloading ActivEngage Mobile, will be available at ActivEngage : Software : Promethean Planet with links to both stores.
    In addition, Promethean is pleased to announce that ActivEngage is now available to order by 'classroom', making ordering simpler - one price for each classroom it is to be used in.
    And finally, ActivEngage is now available to order via subscription, enabling payment to be made annually for an agreed term.
    Visit the Promethean Partner Portal now ** for more information on ActivEngage and ActivEngage Mobile where you will find a new 'Fact Sheet', 'Specification Sheets', 'FAQ' document and sales presentation.
    For more details about ordering ActivEngage, contact your Promethean account manager now.
    * Applicable to all regions except US.
    **log-in required

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast