+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Smartboard Intermittent USB Connection in Technical; Originally Posted by john Look in device managed and are the USB leads showing as Smart Boards or unknown or ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Look in device managed and are the USB leads showing as Smart Boards or unknown or keyboards? I've had some that were not working right and I had to point them at the drivers folder to get them to work right.
    W've had this with 500 series. Device Manager shows it as a generic usb/serial converter. Deleting this driver and rebooting resets the correct smart driver.

2. Thanks to laserblazer from:

dhicks (10th September 2011)

Thank Post

SMARTboard Firmware - USB Extender woes...

A recent firmware update was applied following a pop-up alert by the SMARTboard software on our computers. Immediately after the RED light came on for the SMARTboard and you could no longer use the "touchy" features of the SmartBoard. Do to the layout of our classrooms we use USB/Cat5 extenders for because of the distance to the host computer. Investigating and swapping cables in/out and we found that when connected directly via USB cable the SmartBoard works normal - with a GREEN status light. We changed out computers, the Cat5 cables, and even tried another pair of USB extenders but to no avail.

Contacting SMART Support, they state that if we do not connect directly via USB and we don't use the SMART brand of USB extender, they cannot support our problem. If, after employing SMART extenders the problem still exists, they will pursue further options of support.

Before I succumb to buying all-new extenders for 15 boards (almost $2000) I wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced something similar. The other option I would like to try is to rollback the firmware of the board? (The firmware updates I found at SMART wanted to update the projectors only.)

Any feedback is appreciated!

-D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsServent View Post
    Before I succumb to buying all-new extenders for 15 boards (almost $2000)
    Sorry, not really got a solution, thought I'd just point out that for that much you might as well buy new VESA-mountable PCs and mount them right next to the SMARTBoard, getting rid of the need for any extenders. Have you tried seeing if a standard USB extensions will do? The USB specification reckons they'll manage five metres, and you might as well see if you can stretch that a bit before you buy more hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    I would suggest in this case that you buy 1 smart extender and see if it works if it doesn't smart will have to help.

Have you tried a normal active usb extender?

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi Exim,

The 885s need USB2 480Mbps extenders. Try a direct connection to the board via a short USB lead (the USB connector is under the right-hand end of the pen tray) to see if the fault is with the cabling or the board. Also check that the PSU is correctly connected - I've seen a few where the cable is mistakenly inserted into the audio-out socket.

While I'm thinking of it - also check that your PCs have 10.8 drivers installed. 885s won't work at all with anything less than 10.6 and performance is much better with 10.8.

7. Thanks to TommyCooper from:

exim (13th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Solved! (for the 500 series boards)

There are 2 types of Smart USB cable - with different firmware. The 3.0.0 cable does not work and causes the error. They are visually very different.

The version 3.0.0 cable looks like this

The version 3.1.0 cable is significatly bigger where the usb to serial conversion happens and has the smart logo on it. I will take a picture when I can.

I had to remove a 3.1.0 cable from one of our installations to prove it (a trip to a loft space and the removal of some trunking)!
    You can apparently use USBwiz.exe in the Smart product drivers folder to flash some old cables to 3.1.0. I havn't had any luck with this as it greys out the next option on the second page in the wizard no matter which usb port I plug the cable into. Guess I better contact support as I don't really want to shell out 300 on new cables when I could just flash them.

Thank Post
    Thanks TommyCooper. I'll check all your suggestions out. It sounds like the new 800 series has a lot more specific requirements that the installers weren't aware of. Still, they're not getting paid until everything is correct and working!

GodsServent, it's interesting you mention the firmware update, as once I finally did get one of our 885 boards working the fw notification popped up, and thinking 'what harm can it do?' I updated it... immediately after... dead. So that made things worse!

Thank Post
    I set up some Win 7 64-bit laptops last week and tested on a Smartboard and left. I got a phone call saying the Smartboard was not working on the first one they gave to a teacher. I downloaded the latest software/driver and went in and installed. The driver does not recognise the board. The board has the small serial to USB converter yet It works fine with an XP laptop. I took the Win 7 laptop to a board with the larger converter and it connects straight away.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Win-7 64-bit machines sometimes install the wrong version of the USB-serial driver. Try manually installing the driver from C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\Drivers\x64\.

12. Thanks to TommyCooper from:

mrwobbly (3rd October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the path. I'n in the school tomorrow and will give it a go.

Thank Post
    What computers are you using? anything new?

Thank Post
    There is a hotfix floating around somewhere for the cable drivers... If i can find it I will post it here

Have only seen this issue on Win7 machines, the hotfix has resolved the issue for me many times

Thank Post
    One of our smarts didn't install the board driver, quick look in Windows 7 device man and having the cd handy sorted that out,

Windows 7 pro 32bit. Plus the bored was only about 1 meter away,

Thank Post
    Hi,

I am having a problem with a 600-series SMART board. The computer is running Windows XP and is connected by a short USB cable directly into the board. The board continuously drops connection and the LED goes red. The fix seems to be to unplug the USB cable from the computer and reconnect it. All of the lights flash and then it goes back to green.

I have tried replacing the cable, and updating the smart product drivers to the latest version but the problem persists. I am running out of ideas of what to try, any suggestions?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanks to David Gilliard at Steljes support for providing me a fix for my Windows 7 connection problem in the OP. The 10.8 sp1 64bit patch was required to fix this for my 64bit machines.

There is a new patch on website for 64 bit windows see link below:

http://downloads.smarttech.com/softw...ers10_8sp1.exe

Make sure that you have the latest Notebook software (10.8) before running the update.

If this doesn't work, try re-mapping the following:

Manual mapping for the 500 series board serial cable X64 is for 64bit windows and X86 is for 32 bit OS in device manager > driver update, please see full path below:

C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\Drivers\x64\STI2303X64

C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\Drivers\x86\STI2303X

19. 3 Thanks to BHMS:

Arcath (3rd February 2012), dhicks (29th November 2011), themightymrp (11th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast