+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Clickview and its legalities in Technical; Hi all, Does anyone use Clickview as a DVD library? My wife is an English teacher and she says she ...

Thank Post

Clickview and its legalities

Hi all,

Does anyone use Clickview as a DVD library? My wife is an English teacher and she says she has seen it at a meeting in a neighboring school.

Essentially it's a library where you can store DVD's in DivX format and stream them to computers on your network. It seems pricey and you get access to BBC iplayer programmes etc.

It sounds like an excellent tool as teachers are always losing DVD's or scratching them but how does it comply legally? As far as I was aware, ripping a whole DVD and putting it on the network to stream to multiple classrooms was illegal even if it was for use in the classroom.

I just wanted to get a flavour for what people thought on this issue.

Pete

Thank Post
    My attitude to this is you have a legal bought DVD and are legally allowed to play it back in a school then the technicality of the medium in which you use it is a non-issue as you will never ever get sued/fined.

You should make sure that you have sufficient bought copies of a DVD to meet maximum simultaneous playback demand (e.g 3 classes want to watch Snow White on last day of term - buy 3 copies of it )

Simon

Thank Post
    We don't use it as a Dvd library. But anything that's been showed on tv we put on there, we did start putting old videos from science on there but never got round to finishing them, (tapes that was showen at silly times in the morning)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use it too....mainly as a repository for stuff off the telly.

I will check, tomorrow, on the legalities, as it's not really part of our department (other than the server).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    We use Something called Videoshare (halfway down page) - which was custom developed for us where I work and seem to be very similar to this.

We don't actually store any DVD content on the system only videos which are recorded off TV which is allowed to be stored/shared for educationl purposes. The system also has a built in youtube downloader and also a videoconverter (upload to site it converts and you download).

It works really well and if you want any more info on it use the contact form on the site.

Toby

EDIT: We have been using for around 5 months now and staff/students love the system. It is going to be released soon.
    Last edited by glennda; 6th September 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    My attitude to this is you have a legal bought DVD and are legally allowed to play it back in a school then the technicality of the medium in which you use it is a non-issue as you will never ever get sued/fined.

You should make sure that you have sufficient bought copies of a DVD to meet maximum simultaneous playback demand (e.g 3 classes want to watch Snow White on last day of term - buy 3 copies of it )

Simon
    Yes but essentially you are ripping it to DivX format and then transmitting it over the network- Surely that's against copyright laws.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Clickview is designed to record "off air" content, which if you hold an ERA+ licence is completely usable. Clickview exchange has a large collection of very handy films etc that have been transmitted. Its only when you start ripping feature Film Dvds that you start to get into questionable areas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peteraseddon View Post
    Yes but essentially you are ripping it to DivX format and then transmitting it over the network- Surely that's against copyright laws.
    All depends on what is on the DVD - if you are talking about hollywood films then yes its questionable whether you can store if but some DVD's are released with educational licenses (such as science documentarys etc) which you can store on the network as if it where software.

Thank Post
    The spirit of copyright is to pay the normal sum to use the object. If I'm paying the normal sum and just using it in the manner intended (1 playback at a time) then IMO the spirit is intact

and
    you will never ever get sued/fined.
    Simon

Thank Post
    With regards to hollywood DVDs, if the films have been on FTA TV then I'd think you'd be ok, as there's very little difference between the TV version and the DVD version. I wouldn't go around putting new releases on tho.

Thank Post
    Wasn't there an article recently stating that the ripping of cd's and dvd's that you already own (for the purposes of storage or playback through a different media) was to be made legal?

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Copying CDs could be made legal ...... here it is

see last paragraph which you may find interesting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    The spirit of copyright is to pay the normal sum to use the object. If I'm paying the normal sum and just using it in the manner intended (1 playback at a time) then IMO the spirit is intact

and

Simon
    It isn't just the spirit of a law you have to comply with. In a school, you are legally and morally obligated to obey the law, even if you disagree with it. Just because enforcement of format-switching has been historically lax, doesn't mean it is ok. Littering enforcement is lax in many towns, but it doesn't mean that more people should litter.

The fact of the matter is, extracting a movie from a release DVD without permission from the copyright holder is illegal. Systems like ClickView are aimed at shows and films that have been transmitted over Free to Air TV channels (so, not Sky 1 for example). Anything outside that, and you should be contacting licensing agencies and copyright holders.

For now, anyway. If the government does follow through on its change in the law, and that change doesn't just specify consumers (ie. they word it in such a way as to allow businesses and schools to do it too), then this will obviously change!

Thank Post
    As far as i am aware Clickview uses a type of DRM so only Clickview will play back the videos saved in it.

Thank Post
    In a school, you are legally and morally obligated to obey the law, even if you disagree with it.
    On a scale of 1-10 of the moral and legal behaviour (in terms of copyright abuse) that happens in schools - media shifting (of purchased content) has got to be -1.

Find a real cause to fight

Like littering on the streets

Si

Thank Post
    Use clickview here and clickview 247 to record 6 freeview channels.
    Any dvds that do not have a copyright warning on them (or that say you can copy them) can be uploaded onto the clickview video server.
    You can extract videos from clickview - exported as AVI.
    Any dvds that have copyright warnings - I email the company to get permission to copy them to the clickview video server only not clickview exchange.
    Sometimes they agree and do not require payment, other companies eg-classroom video require half the cost of the video or dvd per video/dvd you wish to host, as they cost about 60 a pop we don't bother and staff have to use the physical dvd to view it.
    As for feature films, bbc documentary box sets, discovery channel box sets then what is written on the box still applies - it's against copyright law to copy them or break the copy protection.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast