+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Clickview and its legalities in Technical; Originally Posted by Hacksawbob Thanks Danny, Just going off what's on the ERA site, here's where I am getting that ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    Thanks Danny, Just going off what's on the ERA site, here's where I am getting that information. Maybe you could enlighten us on how Clickview addresses these clauses?

"Copies made by an authorised resource centre or other third party
    may only be delivered to the establishment in hard copy form and
    not by email, unless prior written permission has been obtained
    from ERA"

"For example, licensed establishments may copy recordings and
    supply them on cassette or disc to ERA licensees who have
    missed a broadcast"...
    Note that on-line delivery and electronic
    transmission of copies between licensees or a licensed resource
    centre is not permitted unless written third party agreements with
    ERA are in place to cover such exchange.

I take it Clickview have written permission from the ERA to operate the sharing service between establishments?

ERA+ para 2.4
    ...any such copying shall be made:
    (b) at the premises of a third party authorised by the Licensee to make copies on behalf of the Licensee under written
    contractual terms and conditions which prevent the retention or use of any copies by that third party
    or any other
    third party unless ERA shall have expressly agreed that a specific third party may retain any copies for subsequent use only by current Licensees under an ERA Plus Agreement

So one school would need to have written contractual permission to another school? Or does clickview become the specific third party? Thanks Bob
    Hi Hacksawbob,

The only way I'll be able to answer your question regarding the specific clauses is by speaking to ERA, which I'm happy to do if you think this will be useful? They are very helpful, if you're worried that your use of Exchange is flouting the law I'm sure they will be happy to put your mind at ease. I've always had informative and helpful answers from them on 020 7837 3222.

We speak to ERA on a regular basis, they are fully aware of ClickView Exchange and how it operates and as Andrew_C has mentioned, his school was inspected by ERA and they saw no issue. Apologies I can't elaborate further regarding the specific clauses, but will endeavour to get you some answers if you'd like me to.

Danny

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Danny I don't use CV exchange. I did look into it a while back but I couldn't get CV working at my site while trialling it, (conflict with existing codecs I believe was the cause amongst other local issues) I am sure a well known company like CV have done there homework on this and had lawyers crawling over over it before basing there business model on it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    Hi Danny I don't use CV exchange. I did look into it a while back but I couldn't get CV working at my site while trialling it, (conflict with existing codecs I believe was the cause amongst other local issues) I am sure a well known company like CV have done there homework on this and had lawyers crawling over over it before basing there business model on it.
    Hi Hacksawbob,

I would hope so too and am very confident this is the case, but it all started before my time at ClickView so couldn't comment on what happened when it was first introduced. If a ClickView trial is ever of interest again feel free to drop me an email on danny@clickview.co.uk - you can even have a trial login for the Exchange which ERA have given us permission to hand out for a month at a time! )

Danny

Thank Post
    Remember that even with the appropriate ERA licence all content has to be labelled with specific information and the rlevant disclaimer must be readable on all content covered. It also only covers the bodies that subscribe to it which is really BBC, ITV Channel 4 and Five and their associated Freeview cousins.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MbroTech View Post
    Remember that even with the appropriate ERA licence all content has to be labelled with specific information and the rlevant disclaimer must be readable on all content covered. It also only covers the bodies that subscribe to it which is really BBC, ITV Channel 4 and Five and their associated Freeview cousins.
    Hi MbroTech,

The disclaimer within ClickView Player pops up when you hover over a 'Play Video' button, so you're covered for this within ClickView too.

disclaimer.png

Danny

Thank Post
    That's great. It was a general reminder for those using any system of storage and retreival though. Even with a licence you have responsibilities.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123