+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Recommendations for Freesat + box with easy transferable Records in Technical; Does anybody have any recommendations for a FreeSat box which can record - with the ability to easily transfer the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts

Recommendations for Freesat + box with easy transferable Records

Does anybody have any recommendations for a FreeSat box which can record - with the ability to easily transfer the Videos off the device onto a pc?

We currently use a PC with Windows Media Center which works but it is clunky and means we need to have a pc plugged into it. Ideally i would like a box with a web interface which can be set to record videos but i've got a feeling i'm hoping to much. Even just a normal box which i can stick a usb drive in say transfer to usb then put onto computer will do

any ideas?

(not myth tv as i played with that and it annoyed me!)

Thank Post
    After much researching in a similar predicament I settled with the Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+
    You have to transfer to a USB stick / drive, then to your PC as a direct connection isn't possible. It records .ts files.
    It has a pretty good EPG, you can series link, record two stations while watching another (including HD channels).

I was a Topfield fan myself, but they've not got with the program on the EPG / HD front. Pitty that.

3. Thanks to exim from:

glennda (30th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Cheers - I will look into that!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for the Humax. I archive stuff to a USB device, as mentioned above it creates .TS files which appear to be MPEG4 files, which VLC player has no trouble playing. There are other accompanying files which contain the broadcast information (time, date, programme summary etc) which are needed if you are playing back using the Humax. If you just want to keep the video file for playback on other devices, you can discard these extra files.

Of course you can use something like avidemux to trim them and crush them down to x264 or whatever.

Note that you cannot transfer hi def programmes as they fall under licensing restrictions, according to the manual.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 31st July 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    note that you cannot transfer hi def programmes as they fall under licensing restrictions, according to the manual.
    Interesting that they say that... In England ALL copying falls foul of copyright law. Not that I think copying is wrong, just the law. (For private use etc)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Interesting that they say that... In England ALL copying falls foul of copyright law. Not that I think copying is wrong, just the law. (For private use etc)
    I was under the impression you are able to record free to air services?

Edit: this seems to say ok for educational purposes http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=768929
    Last edited by glennda; 31st July 2011 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Not being at work, I can't look at my ERA file, but I think they only cover the main UK terrestrial broadcasts. One day they'll catch up... No, sorry, they won't; they'll always be playing catch-up as technology evolves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Not being at work, I can't look at my ERA file, but I think they only cover the main UK terrestrial broadcasts. One day they'll catch up... No, sorry, they won't; they'll always be playing catch-up as technology evolves.
    From my LEA's Documentation this is what they have

ERA allow schools to record broadcast and cable transmission of all types of programmes
    and make copies of those recordings for educational purposes only. The ERA Licensing
    Scheme permits staff at educational establishments to record for educational purposes, any
    radio or television broadcast and cable output of ERA’s members. A licence is also required
    if you wish to use off-air recording as a teaching resource. All schools are covered under
    the ERA blanket licence agreement held by the Education Department
    Link ERA allow schools to record broadcast and cable transmission of all types of programmes
    and make copies of those recordings for educational purposes only. The ERA Licensing
    Scheme permits staff at educational establishments to record for educational purposes, any
    radio or television broadcast and cable output of ERA’s members. A licence is also required
    if you wish to use off-air recording as a teaching resource. All schools are covered under
    the ERA blanket licence agreement held by the Education Department

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It says here

SD recorded programmes can be transferred with no restriction. HD programmes can be flagged by the broadcaster as encrypted and subject to copy restrictions. If flagged as encrypted the recording is copied to disc with an an encryption key unique to the hdr that recorded it. In that case only the hdr that recorded it can play it back even if copied to a usb drive. If flagged as copy restricted then it could be copy zero in which case the hdr won't allow copying to a usb drive at all. If copy once you can copy it once to a usb drive and replay it from there but only on the hdr that recorded it.
    So it seems you can copy HD programmes if the broadcasters permit.

This clarifies the technicalities of archiving as far as the Humax is concerened. The intricacies of the arcane broadcasting restrictions are another matter; I know it's been discussed at length in other threads!

I'm still delighted with my Humax, 18 months after I bought it. Often overlooked is the MP3 facility it has. It has a reserved section on its hard disk for music (about 20 Gig). This allows you upload MP3s to the Humax and play them back through a hifi. The sound quality is excellent, as is the Freesat radio function (a gazillion times better than DAB).

Also, the Humax has a network port which allows you to use BBC's iplayer. This works superbly well. ITV's on demand is working in Beta as I write. The picture quality of the higher quality iPlayer stream is just shy of standard def broadcasts, but gets just a tad 'blocky' during very busy scenes.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 31st July 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's a curveball for you. Before I got my Humax, I did have a Comag free to air (FTA) satellite box. I bought it in Lidl for about £40. This had a USB slot for recording.

Compared with the Humax, the interface was poorer, but adequate. I'd say that Freesat is much better than FTA, as the EPG is much better and the system is properly managed with over-the-air updates.

Bear in mind the EPG for Freesat is excellent, but it is propriety. The Freesat EPG is not used by FTA satellite. The EPG used by FTA is basically now and next, and is much inferior.

However, if all you want is to record programmes off satellite, you might want to look at something like this (which is 50 quid):
    Digital Box with Card Slot and USB PVR for Free Satellite TV Free Delivery : SD FreetoAir Satellite Recorders : Maplin
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 31st July 2011 at 11:19 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread