+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Can you identify this DMX lighting controller/How can we re-program channel numbers? in Technical; We have a Strand Lighting 100 Series Console. We have 10 lights. Channels 1-6 are for the left hand side ...

Thank Post

Question Can you identify this DMX lighting controller/How can we re-program channel numbers?

We have a Strand Lighting 100 Series Console. We have 10 lights. Channels 1-6 are for the left hand side of the stage and 7-12 for the right hand side.

We only have 10 lights though. Two of the channels are not used. Can we re-program them so that we use 1-5 and 8-12 instead?

We have two of these controllers:
    IMAG0070a.jpgIMAG0071a.jpg

Can you identify this controller?

How do we re-program them to use channels 1-5/8-12?
    ____
    I did a search for the buttons and have now discovered it's from Electronic Theatre Controls(ETC) www.etcconnect.com
    ____
    It looks like it's a SmartBar. The manual is here.
    Last edited by zx2012; 17th July 2011 at 08:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I understand correctly you have two of these controllers (which are actually Dimmers) with 5 lamps fed off each dimmer?

With a Strand 100 lighting console somewhere acting as the desk.

The normal programming method with DMX is to specify a start address for each pack, so in your case one controller will have a start address of "1" and the other "7" so first pack is reacting to DMX 1,2,3,4,5,6 and the second 7,8,9,10,11,12

You want to change the second pack start address from "7" to "8" which should produce what you are looking for.

You can assign the same DMX address to multiple dimmers, and they will all give the same output, so if you wanted to logically move the dimmers to 1-5,8-12 so a third dimmer could be hired in and used for extra centre stage lights you could start that at 5-8 Two channels would over lap.

Page 13 of the manual is what you are looking at.

Thank Post
    Dimmers made by ETC. With a model number you should be able to get "softpatch" instructions from here

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help so far.

I think I've found the manual at Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC
    It looks like we have 2 SmartBars.

A is on the left of our hall and the 5 lights are currently numbered 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12. (Lights right hand side of stage and is on the right hand side of the Strand 100.)

B is on the right of our hall and the 5 lights are currently numbered 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. (Lights left hand side of stage and is on the left hand side of the Strand 100.)

So 10 and 3 don't do anything on the Strand 100. For the last 4 years's I've put up with it but it makes doing live productions a bit of a challenge.

Ideally I'd like to have the lights 1-5 and 8-12. That way 6 and 7 won't be in use.

Thank Post
    Can't you just change which channel the lights are connected to on the smartbars?

If you wan't further help related to lighting/theatre system you might want to try Blue Room at BlueRoom.org.uk aswell.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread