+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Projector Query suggestions? in Technical; Hi All Just a quick query wanted to pick your brains. We have a MAHOOOSIVE skylight in our dining hall ...
    Thank Post

Projector Query suggestions?

Hi All

Just a quick query wanted to pick your brains. We have a MAHOOOSIVE skylight in our dining hall and have a projector screen on the wall.

When needed have a mobile projector to wheel in and project onto the wall. Now the pictures fine when its dark outside but on a sunny day because of the skylight you cant see very well at all.

So wanted some opinions or suggestions on how to go about remedying the problem. The screen probably gets used about 4-5 times a year and the skylight is pretty big so to get a screen for the skylight is out of the question.

I was thinking maybe a canopy?

Or maybe a better model projector the one we use is a HITACHI CP-X270 (XGA) LCD Mobile projector.

Or maybe a completely different solution all together any suggestions or ideas appreciated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    How about some dark window tint on the glass / plastic of the skylight to darken it?

If thats no good then a brighter projector, you can get up to 4-5000 lumens ones however they would need very carefully risk assessing and managing in the school due to the power of them, thus where possible its advised to fit blinds, curtains etc before just buying brighter projectors. Our only projectors over 2000 lumens are one in the drama studio (and its used to project onto black / random bits of set etc and is adjustable brightness up to 3000 lumens) and our Hall one which is a beast and is again used as part of set in school shows.

3. Thanks to john from:

north-ict (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    What about an ultra short throw attached the wall above the screen (something like an Epson WXGA 3LCD which we have a couple of and have no issues with)?

The limiting factor may be the size of the image you can have with that but i am just thinking of something that wouldn't sit directly underneath the skylight.
    Last edited by RTFM; 16th June 2011 at 08:05 AM.

5. Thanks to RTFM from:

north-ict (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys for the input i am just thinking because theres not a lot of budget for ICT this year and its only used a few times a year, i might move the projector screen to a darker part of the room as a worse case scenario. Ill let the head know but i doubt he will want to tint the skylight.

Thank Post
    Just an update on this i purchased a Pull up floor screen so in the lighter months that can be used in the darkest part of the hall, with regards to a new projector i was recommended a BENQ MX660 DLP 3200 ansi-Lumen. I couldn't seem to find a proper review on it when scouring the net and just wanted to know anyones opinions on it or recommend anything else. I will check out the projector RTFM suggested.

Thank Post
    We buy a lot of BenQ projectors at the moment - though I haven't used that model, we've used things like the MP525P which we've found them to perform well in bright classrooms and they're nice units. Obviously for the hall that extra brightness will be ideal. Just check it doesn any higher def stuff you'll need okay - we went with an Optoma EW536 as it'll natively do 720P for our HD satellite setup.

9. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

north-ict (18th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Please dont buy a DLP projector especially for portable use it will prove very unreliable they do not like being knocked or moved within 30 mins of switching off.
    I would recomend a Epson x9 5 year cover including lamp and instant off tuff and small difficult to damage with in built lens cover.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread