+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Samsung SP-F10 LED Projector in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts

Samsung SP-F10 LED Projector

Anybody seen or used one of these?

What is it like in comparison to the Casio XJ-M130/XJ-A130?

Just been sent through a leaflet from a supplier and also an Ex sponsor on here for £375!

With apparently 50,000 hours of life

although its 1000 lumens

Thank Post
    We've got a loan unit from our projector suppliers and it looks pretty good. We got the 2000 lumens one and even on eco mode it's perfectly clear. Haven't really put it side by side with the Casio models for comparison but on price it's a winner. There's no way to test the claims of 50000 hours of life in eco mode, but the same applies to the Casio models. It'll basically be down to getting one and giving it a go, see how long it lasts. They only have a 3 year warranty compared to the 5 years that Casio offer on their EDU line, so whether that is a commentary on Samsung's belief in the technology or not I don't know. However I'm a big fan of all Samsung equipment and I've never found fault with anything of theirs that I've used. I've had netbooks, mobile phones, vacuum cleaners, tvs. Never had a problem, so I'm willing to bet that their LED projectors will also stand the test of time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Interesting product and price, are you looking at getting one @glennda?

Thank Post
    I would be keen to test one of these, but i do notice on trhe samsung site Lamp Life >30000 Hours (Eco) not 50,000 as mentioned above? also with LED the half life is very important that is the amount of time till the lamp is half as bright as it was when new (LED lamps get dimmer with age), and as the lamp is not replaceable..................need i go on.

I think ultimately the answer to all the this is some company needs to invent a replacement LED lamp for the normal NONE LED projectors so you can just swap lamps, everything else has not changed you still need to service LED projectors (deep clean) they still have fans that will die after around 7 to 8,000 hrs and capacitors in the switch mode PSU that will dry out and pop.

Marc
    Projector Engineer

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The samsung site here says 'upto 50,000 hours'. Present like never before with new levels of convenience and brilliance - SP-F10 LED Projector - Education & Business - Projectors | SAMSUNG

However, they also only list a 1000 ANSI Lumens model at the moment - can't see a 2000 ANSI Lumens edition.
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th May 2011 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    This is our suppliers website with the tech specs:

Samsung SP-F10 projector

Perhaps it's a typo on their part?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    This is our suppliers website with the tech specs:

Samsung SP-F10 projector

Perhaps it's a typo on their part?
    Must be. Samsung list it as 'Upto 1000'. Present like never before with new levels of convenience and brilliance - SP-F10 LED Projector - Education & Business - Projectors | SAMSUNG

Thank Post
    We actually bought one of these the other day. We haven't installed it in a classroom yet, that's one of the "to do's" for next week.

We did set it up in our office and compared it to the Casio LED - we were very impressed. My colleague (qeadmin) has put the info on another post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Interesting product and price, are you looking at getting one @glennda?
    i'm not sure - its a really good price but don't want to get it if its going to be rubbish!

Thank Post
    I'm interested in these, too. My biggest concerns are:

1. Brightness. Projectorpoint seem to say (and have confirmed by phone) that the ANSI lumen scale doesn't apply properly to LED light sources, and in side-by-side testing they found it to be brighter than 2000 lumen models. I haven't heard anything similar from anyone else (and don't understand why ANSI lumens wouldn't apply to any particular light source - colour temperature?) and feel cautious about accepting it.

2. LCDs. My understanding is the LED(s) shine(s) through LCDs, just as in a traditional (non-DLP) projector. I am cautious of LCDs because all our projectors are now suffering from dying LCDs so presumably, with the longer LED life, the LCD would become the next weakest link. The person I spoke to on the phone was adamant that these models don't have any LCDs because "it's a completely different technology". Of this I am very skeptical. Is there any projector that needs neither an LCD nor a DLP?

@glennda, can you PM me who quoted you £375, please? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Oh dear,....the things some suppliers tell customers.....yes of course ANSI lumen apply it is a measure of brightness at several points on the projected image and then averaged out, so regardless of colour temp ANSI works there are some factors of frequency of the light source but in the main it equates. And light output from LED source and Mecury lamp source 2000 ANSI is the same with both that’s why they use it to establish a standard. But make sure they are quoting ANSI Lumens and not just Lumens as that would make a slight difference.

One lumen is about = 1 candle power (actually .98) with a reference candle (no honest they do have them).

In a normal class (with mainly glass on one side) I would not fit a projector less than 2500 ANSI Lumens. So a projector of only 2000 Lumens is not quite there and after about a year of dust in it it will be a lot less bright no matter what the blurb on it says, i have never seen yet a projector that does not need cleaning periodically, no i dont mean filters i mean stripping and optical engine clean.

Marc
    Projector Engineer
    Last edited by Marc-Engineer; 16th June 2011 at 04:19 PM.

12. Thanks to Marc-Engineer from:

will_ (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Marc is correct in terms of the lumens rating, the Samsung is 1000 and therefore less bright than 2000 ansi lumen projectors. However this does not mean that the image is not clearer than some 2000 lumen projectors as there are other factors to consider such as contrast ratio's and colour reproductions.

I hate generalisations such as normal classrooms should use 2500 lumens projectors, utter tosh. It depends on a whole number of things with both the environment and the equipment. Every room is different and I have seen many classrooms where 2000 lumens is more than adequate.

As for how the technology works I know the Casio uses coloured LED's and a coloured laser to produce the images. I know LED screens use LCD's but unsure on the projector side. I will confirm and post what I find.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    As for how the technology works I know the Casio uses coloured LED's and a coloured laser to produce the images. I know LED screens use LCD's but unsure on the projector side. I will confirm and post what I find.
    The Casio models are DLP inside, and the Samsung model here is LCD based.

Thank Post
    localzuk you're completely right, apparently I'm still suffering from Infocomm jetlag!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread