+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Digital Signage For Reception - Any Experience or Recomendations? in Technical; Budget of about £4,000. Been tasked for getting some digital signage set up in reception for visitors. They want the ...
    Thank Post

Digital Signage For Reception - Any Experience or Recomendations?

Budget of about £4,000.

Been tasked for getting some digital signage set up in reception for visitors. They want the usual mix of school information, bbc news, upcoming events etc.

Was wondering if anyone has any recomendations or experiemces?

Thank Post
    Xibo - well within your budget

It's what we use here and find it very good.

Thank Post
    XIBO is awesome any questions feel free to ask!

Xibo Open Source Digital Signage

Thank Post
    We've just been quoted an LG solution (LG Supersign) which looks good and would easily fall within that budget.

Not free like Xibo but another option?

Can happily pass on more details if your interested as i have a flyer and stuff for it, just drop me a pm and i can pass it on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Xibo - have 8 boxes now dead simple to setup and costs nothing (not even a windows license needed now as there is a unix client)

EDIT: all you will need is a nice mahosive screen and an EEEpc or similar
    Last edited by glennda; 20th May 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    I used Sony Ziris digital signage solution at the old place i worked at. It seemed good. Not sure how much it costs though, also I dont know if it adds anything extra over Xibo which I guess is much much cheaper.
    I can try find out more info if your interested.

Thank Post
    I use the onelan box , not very expensive about 200 when we got it is excellent , very easy to use , we have live sky new on one side and photos on the other side but with school new scrolling at the bottom.

i have tried Xibo which is very good for free but the one lan has better software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acerf1 View Post
    I use the onelan box , not very expensive about 200 when we got it is excellent , very easy to use , we have live sky new on one side and photos on the other side but with school new scrolling at the bottom.

i have tried Xibo which is very good for free but the one lan has better software.
    200??? did you miss a zero off?

OneLan - Digital Signage

Ben

Thank Post
    I would also say OneLan I have been in a few schools now which use this. Yes its not free, it fits in your budget, and from a end user its easy to use and for your staff to update.

They use to do site visits with demo, so well worth getting in touch with them, to see if they still offer this.

<RANT>

Plexer, you donít offer a solution to the OP in your first comment, and then, pull someone up in your 2nd, yes, he could have made a mistake, or he could have paid that for the unit. They have some amazing deals on at the moment, which arenít listed on the website.

Sorry just peees me off when people ask for advice, and then you get a smart arsed comment like oh I will Google that for you, anyone can Google it, but what Google doesnít offer is advise, within a school environment, and with someone like Digital Signs if you get it wrong you have lost allot of money..

Rant over.

</RANT>
    Last edited by IKWeb; 25th May 2011 at 01:34 PM.

11. 3 Thanks to IKWeb:

Mullaney18 (31st May 2011), NDW (12th December 2011), Sam_Brown (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IKWeb View Post
    I would also say OneLan I have been in a few schools now which use this. Yes its not free, it fits in your budget, and from a end user its easy to use and for your staff to update.

They use to do site visits with demo, so well worth getting in touch with them, to see if they still offer this.

<RANT>

Plexer, you don’t offer a solution to the OP in your first comment, and then, pull someone up in your 2nd, yes, he could have made a mistake, or he could have paid that for the unit. They have some amazing deals on at the moment, which aren’t listed on the website.

Sorry just peees me off when people ask for advice, and then you get a smart arsed comment like oh I will Google that for you, anyway can Google it, but what Google doesn’t offer is advise, within a school environment, and with someone like Digital Signs if you get it wrong you have lost allot of money..

Rant over.

</RANT>
    He does it in the majority of topics he posts in that I've seen. It's no big deal. It's just the kind of smart arse comment you'd expect from someone in year 9. Not an IT professional.

Thanks for the advice IKWeb.

Thank Post
    IKweb - To be fair if you type digital signage into the search box, it pretty much pulls up lots of threads asking the very same question. Yes sometimes it's easier to make a new thread to get a response, but all the replies are pretty much rehashed from earlier threads. OK it wasn't the most constructive post, but the OP could have just as easily read through existing material.

And as for the 200/2000 point, I dont really see that as much of a problem. At least I wouldn't have taken offence if it was aimed at something I'd written, it's easy to mistype things.

But back on topic, if you want to look at Digital signage and you have spare equipment, just install Xibo and have a play, it costs nothing but will provide so much more by testing it than just getting peoples opinion.

Thank Post
    Hi Penfold - Yeah true, you can search for it, but as I guess you’re aware, the market changes, and new things are released which may not be included in old posts. So yes you can search for old topics are read up on what they advise, but also if they are old topics I would start a new one, so I make sure I am not missing out on anything.

My main issue was the comment wasn’t constructive, especially from a MOD!! To a user who is generally asking for advice / help

Thank Post

<RANT>

Plexer, you don’t offer a solution to the OP in your first comment, and then, pull someone up in your 2nd, yes, he could have made a mistake, or he could have paid that for the unit. They have some amazing deals on at the moment, which aren’t listed on the website.

Sorry just peees me off when people ask for advice, and then you get a smart arsed comment like oh I will Google that for you, anyone can Google it, but what Google doesn’t offer is advise, within a school environment, and with someone like Digital Signs if you get it wrong you have lost allot of money..

Rant over.

</RANT>
    @IKWeb Many thanks for that however if you looked at the actual lmgtfy it would have brought up exisiting digital signage threads from edugeek.net this subject has been covered many many times and there is a lot of good content that I didn't want the OP to have missed.

Also I still can't believe that anyone could get a one lan box for £200 you'd struggle to find one of the windows nettops that people use with xibo for that.

Ben

Thank Post
    My main issue was the comment wasn’t constructive, especially from a MOD!! To a user who is generally asking for advice / help
    Sorry but my job as a mod has got nothing to do with how I may reply to a posting with a general answer. The job of a mod is to keep riff raff and rubbish off edugeek.

Ben

17. Thanks to plexer from:

TheScarfedOne (29th May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast