+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Digital Signage For Reception - Any Experience or Recomendations? in Technical; Going to resurrect this thread. Looking at a solution and interested in xibo but has anyone got any examples of ...

Thank Post
    Going to resurrect this thread. Looking at a solution and interested in xibo but has anyone got any examples of their digital signage with xibo? Had played with the idea of using chromescasts for this and casting tab from chrome or possible from a tablet if they improve the support.

Thank Post
    PM for you Sam_Brown

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I looked at Xibo, but didn't want to invest too much time into it, so we got two MediaCats from Navaho. Really good and just work with minimal setup and it's easy to get others to create their own displays too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I looked at Xibo, but didn't want to invest too much time into it, so we got two MediaCats from Navaho. Really good and just work with minimal setup and it's easy to get others to create their own displays too.
    They may have changed since I used these but they where a pain in the backside to get a Powerpoint on them. Has that changed?
    I used to get the students to manage the content

Thank Post
    Thing is with powerpoints, it's easier just to export all slides as jpgs and run as a slideshow

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    [QUOTE=caffrey;1126904]Thing is with powerpoints, it's easier just to export all slides as jpgs and run as a slideshow [/QUOT

When i used the navaho boxes we were still on office 2003 (cira 2008/2009) which didn't have that option so it was a pain in the backside 3 slideshows a week of 20/30 manually exporting slideshows etc. I got Xibo running fairly easily within a few hours and as far as I am aware they still use it to this day. When i left the school they had around 7 displays running I think @mdench can say how many they have now as I presume they still use it (the bosses mate writes xibo)

Thank Post
    Gone from 7 displays to 24 now with departments managing their own screens with some basic training

Thank Post
    We used the free signage software on our estream system. Lets you upload powerpoint and we find it easy to use. If it didnt come free then we would have probably used something like Xibo. Less money spent the better really.

Thank Post
    Hi Sam_Brown.

please PM Me if you still require information on this

Thank Post
    We recently installed Xibo to manage our large plasma screens around the school site. Easy to install; both client and server. Very happy with it.

Despite what previous posters have said, it handles PowerPoints just fine. Approx. 90% of our content is PowerPoint based.

Thank Post
    Have a chat with Mario @ Neo Media (Neo Media)

It's a really nice simple solution with little Android based players that plug into the TV via HDMI & powered by the USB on the TV. They also have PC based players.

The cost is really good as well :-)

Thank Post
    I think I am going to revisit this in the summer but for now on the screens we have which are LG "Super"Sign which is truly awful and even powerpoint support is limited.

For now I have installed ubuntu on the builtin PC, set it to boot straight into a kiosk mode (full screen) in chrome and load a Google Slides presentation that can be edited anywhere at anytime and I have set it to refresh the presentation every 30 mins. It doesnt provide weather updates or twitter feeds but happy with it for now. Given a bit more time you could create much better professional looking layouts than a lot of the naff Digital Signage solutions I have seen in this search
    Last edited by hyb80; 21st February 2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: extra

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The difficulty in getting Powerpoint working isn't Xibo, it's Powerpoint. It's utterly rubbish and as a result it's a bit crashy regardless what platform you run it on. As you can export from powerpoint to anything else you like such as a video file, that's just as simple and won't cause any problems. We're starting to find it's running slower than usual however, even the linux client is starting to drag a bit. Might be something I'm doing wrong!

Thank Post
    I do think it is a shame that PowerPoint is used so heavily and in turn a lot of signage content relies on it.

In today's world its a dinosaur and just isnt flexible enough across platforms. Sadly I think it will be a while before PP is phased away from being used so often in the education world.

There are some terrible solutions out there that will never cater for the needs of a college, but there are some out there that do. Its just finding the right one for your needs, our system lets us put together our PPs, feeds from the internet, weather from the Met Office etc. Its main restriction is being Windows based as far as the signage players go, but its not a major bind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give @VeryPC a shout or Colin french from there if possible. Good man with good quotes and suggestions. Not afraid to tell you what is what either.

16. Thanks to nephilim from:

VeryPC (21st February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast