+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Digital Signage For Reception - Any Experience or Recomendations? in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer Sorry but my job as a mod has got nothing to do with how I may ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Sorry but my job as a mod has got nothing to do with how I may reply to a posting with a general answer. The job of a mod is to keep riff raff and rubbish off edugeek.

Ben
    Please do define riff raff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Thems the people that post absolute rubbish in order to be able to spam our members that us MODS!!!! have to keep on top of everyday.

Ben

Thank Post
    Another vote for Xibo from me .. ok, it takes a bit of work on your part, but it's really quite flexible (even more so now I discovered how I can add in file types that W7 will cope with such as M4V - not there as default but with a quick tweak in the MySQL it works).

The only issue I have with Xibo is getting the additional users set up - yes I can add in other admins who can do everything, but then I don't want to add in the ability to do everything for everyone - still trying to figure it out so if you need the ability to give staff reduced rights to post things you might be better with an OOB solution such as the others that have been suggested .. (if someone knows of a howto for setting up additional users that work in Xibo by the way, I'd be interested in knowing .. lol)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Please do define riff raff.

Riff Raff

Back on topic now please, firstly if you have concerns over the work of a Mod please post in the Ask the Admin's Forum - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/message-admins/ and an admin will look into it.

I would recommend Xibo for a system, its getting a good following on here and on the net, and looks a very promising product. The commercial products, such as OneLan look nice but can be costly investments and require on-costs for support in some cases so may mean you need a long term financial commitment as well.

Thank Post
    We have a Samsung MagicInfo system in reception; its a decent piece of kit & worth considering however the biggest problem with digital signage for us is managing content & keeping it interesting. Like many of these 'bright ideas' that people have from time to time, staff soon get bored with having to provide content & the displays can end up going stale.

In parallel with researching the hardware, if you haven't already done so I would advise you to invest some time in discussing with the School Leadership team who is going to provide content & equally important who will have editorial rights over what gets added etc otherwise it can become a load of hassle for whoever manages the kit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Votes for OneLAN, MediaCAT and Xibo ... all can do the business, it all depends on how much hands on support you want setting it up (you get what you pay for), how much continuing support you want and how much time you have to develop things yourself. Remember that your time is also a cost in this.

They have changed over the years and depending on what you are going to stream over them then I would also recommend you look at other streaming options too (like Boxee perhaps?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @plexer can you clear out your inbox please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Sorry but my job as a mod has got nothing to do with how I may reply to a posting with a general answer. The job of a mod is to keep riff raff and rubbish off edugeek.

Ben
    And don't forget dealing with language that irate members use, which then blocks our site from showing at certain schools and even whole LAs therefore preventing them from getting all the advice posted here.

Thank Post
    Hi,

In response to the original question, I'd recommend LG supersign. Cost effective and can be centrally managed

Cheers

Thank Post
    GrumbleDook is spot on.

Most digital signage systems can give an effective display, onelan, xibo, LG supersign, magicinfo, pads etc... Each one has its own USP's it's really dependant on whether or not you have specific things in mind for it. The most important thing by far is how much time you are going to associate to creating and updating content. We have put digital signage into a huge number of educational establishments ranging from one screen to over a hundred. They will only ever be as effective as the content you create.

You really need the buy in from the SMT if it is going to be used for anything other than displaying the school logo and welcome messages. I have seen some great things achieved with signage in schools especially when students work is incorporated into it, but it does need time dedicated to making it work.

Thank Post
    We have a £300 32" Samsung TV that has a usb port. We create the content in powerpoint and use camtasia to convert to mpeg. Works well and is cheap as chips. With school staff being made redundant across the country, I really can't see the justification in spending £1000s on frivolities!

12. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Alis_Klar (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Xibo for me, having used several other offerings (OneLAN I have particular hatred of). It's a great way of using up old kit as client devices!

Thank Post
    Hi all. I've also been assigned to implementing a cost effective solution to provide concurrent signage across 20 screens over our site. From what I've seen and tested of Xibo so far, I'm really impressed with the outcome. Small footprint, and easy to get going once you're over the server & client installation and setup (which was still pretty straightforward with a couple of forum hints & regfixes). I love the fact that this was free and we could provide an effective solution which would have taken just a little training to staff who were updating the content.
    Sadly I was later informed we were going to be using Adobe AIR streams instead. What this entails exactly I am yet to find out as I'm not overly keen on Adobe products, even though I'm forced to use them from time to time! I noticed they have an app for smart TVs and some signage apps too, but there's not a lot on their description. Anyone care to outline how an AIR stream would work? From what I've read it could be just an SWF stream which would obviously not be as efficient as Xibo. Then again, AIR looks like it could be a powerful solution which uses custom apps (there are 3 for signage already), which could just run in a similar way to xibo. Anyone else had experience using AIR for this kind of thing? The management weren't too specific about the AIR stream so from what I'm gathering so far, it could either be an SWF stream, or something completely different.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread btw, but for the record - Xibo was good and cheap! Downsides to a lot of other solutions is that you need custom hardware. With Xibo, all you need are a screen and a mini-pc (I found these tiny little 'Zotac' boxes which look perfect).

Thanks for any opinions / help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AVTechy View Post
    Hi all. I've also been assigned to implementing a cost effective solution to provide concurrent signage across 20 screens over our site. From what I've seen and tested of Xibo so far, I'm really impressed with the outcome. Small footprint, and easy to get going once you're over the server & client installation and setup (which was still pretty straightforward with a couple of forum hints & regfixes). I love the fact that this was free and we could provide an effective solution which would have taken just a little training to staff who were updating the content.
    Sadly I was later informed we were going to be using Adobe AIR streams instead. What this entails exactly I am yet to find out as I'm not overly keen on Adobe products, even though I'm forced to use them from time to time! I noticed they have an app for smart TVs and some signage apps too, but there's not a lot on their description. Anyone care to outline how an AIR stream would work? From what I've read it could be just an SWF stream which would obviously not be as efficient as Xibo. Then again, AIR looks like it could be a powerful solution which uses custom apps (there are 3 for signage already), which could just run in a similar way to xibo. Anyone else had experience using AIR for this kind of thing? The management weren't too specific about the AIR stream so from what I'm gathering so far, it could either be an SWF stream, or something completely different.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread btw, but for the record - Xibo was good and cheap! Downsides to a lot of other solutions is that you need custom hardware. With Xibo, all you need are a screen and a mini-pc (I found these tiny little 'Zotac' boxes which look perfect).

Thanks for any opinions / help!
    @ZeroHour might be able to help as i beleive they are going to be using Adobe Air to broadcast the conference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Staff cuts and frivoloties were mentioned.

If someone is tasked with implementing digital signage by smt then it is likely money is available and such monies are not related to staffing budgets.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast