+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Photos - Background Focus in Technical; thanks for your help everyone but still cant get it to work, might have to save up for a bit ...
    Thank Post
    thanks for your help everyone but still cant get it to work, might have to save up for a bit and gt a Nikon or a Canon SLR camera as I've heard they are better cameras at doing this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    thanks for your help everyone but still cant get it to work, might have to save up for a bit and gt a Nikon or a Canon SLR camera as I've heard they are better cameras at doing this.
    Might be a bit overkill, especially if (no offence intended) you're not all that clued up on photography. Great if you have the time to learn though, I certainly find it very enjoyable

Thank Post
    We'd like to learn, but at the same time we are good at taking photos but maybe with another camera we'd do better, this camera is good but most of the settings are automatic and cant be adjusted.

Thank Post
    Certainly this will give you access to the controls you need much more easily and will deff do the job. If you don't mind used or refurb, check out misfuds as I think they had a nikon D200 for 200 the other day. Very good camera for the money if a little old but less than a new entry level unit. nikkior do a 50mm f1.8 for about 100 new, check out warehouse express, jessops etc which is an ace lens for the money. Amazing actually and perfect for portraits. (i'm speaking as a nikon user, Canon is of course as good)

good luck and happy snapping. just sorry none of us managed to solve your issue for you.

D

5. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

cpjitservices (12th May 2011)

Thank Post
    no probs we wont be able to raise funds near the 100 mark as we have the little on on the way and we are looking on ebay for a cheap Digital SLR, It'd be great to learn this kind if stuff before little one gets here.

Thanks for all of your help.

Thank Post
    no probs we wont be able to raise funds near the 100 mark as we have the little on on the way and we are looking on ebay for a cheap Digital SLR, It'd be great to learn this kind if stuff before little one gets here.

Thanks for all of your help.
    lol, you'd better learn now as you'll be too tired to remember anything when the bubba arrives!!! Good luck

Thank Post
    The reason you can't get shallow depth of field (DOF) with your camera is that the sensor is too small.

DOF is inversely proportional to the physical size of the sensor (not the number of megapixels) and your sensor is only 6mm across, compared to 36mm in a 'full frame' camera. To get shallow DOF you need a physically large sensor and a lens with a large aperture (i.e a low 'f' number) - unfortunately neither of those things are cheap.

Thank Post
    I have my eye on a Nikon D80 on ebay this should do the trick hopefully - has a large sensor type and aperture size compared to what I have now. The Nikon looks like a real nice piece of kit.

Thank Post
    Worth checking whether the camera has a Portrait mode. That's usually optomised to get as much depth of field as possible.

If you're buying new kit specifically for this kind of shot, I'd heartily recommend getting a 50mm prime lens, although the kit lens that comes with it will be vastly better than what you're using now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12