+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Record TV to server, stream to clients? in Technical; We need the ability to record shows to a box and then for teachers to be able to play it ...
    Thank Post

Record TV to server, stream to clients?

We need the ability to record shows to a box and then for teachers to be able to play it from their client machines. I don't even know where to start (except to start with you guys.)

Thank Post
    we use clickview and clickview24/7. not cheap but works well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Media centre?

Ben

Thank Post
    You could do like what I do for my home TV. I'm cheap so I don't want to pay for DVR service. I setup Windows Media Center on one PC. I have a HD TV Tuner card in the PC. I hooked it up to the TV next to it using a VGA cable and a mini plug audio cable.

It worked nice, but then I got to thinking, it would be nice if I could watch our recorded shows on our bedroom TV. So, what I did was hook up another laptop to our bedroom TV. Then I hooked up the two TV PCs together via CAT5. (I first tried it wireless. Turns out wireless G is too slow for HD video.) Then I went into the Windows Media Center and added the UNC path of the recorded TV shows on the other PC (that I already shared out) to the Windows Media Center on the remote PC.

Now when I go into recorded shows on the PC upstairs, I see the recorded shows the downstairs PC recorded.

Just to let you know, I first tried using Windows Vista. It worked OK. But Windows 7's Media Center has a much more polished feel that feels like you're using a real DVR system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If your looking for a school based system I can`t fault the clickview / clickview 24x7 Combo. Its not cheap, but reliable and combined with an ERA licence and clickview exchange a great teaching resource.

Thank Post
    The cheapest way of doing this would be to use DVBlast. The Angry Technician has done an excellent guide.

Let me know how you get on
    Rich

Thank Post
    We use a wintv card to record tv shows to wmv then upload them to our sharepoint 2010 media library, using the media web part the video streams on the page, just like YouTube.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    The cheapest way of doing this would be to use DVBlast. The Angry Technician has done an excellent guide.
    Thanks for the compliment, but my guide only covers streaming of live broadcasts, not recording - at the moment. Also you're in the US according to your location icon, and since my guide only covers DVB-T broadcasts, I'm not sure how much use it will be since I don't think that standard is used much over there.

For recording for later playback, I'd echo the recommendation for using Media Centre on Vista or Windows 7 if you are able. Get hold of a WinTV card and everything else you need is built in to Windows. Schedule a recording, copy to a network share, playback with Windows Media Player.

Thank Post
    +1 for Clickview and Clickview 24/7. It gets used because it works well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yep, we use clickview+247 too.. Works greate, and all our classroom PCs are wireless and it streams fine to a class full of laptops no problem

Thank Post
    We use TriplePlay but I wouldn't recommend it. The software is a pain to use and it still doesn't play back properly over 6 months after it was installed. Wish we'd gone with clickview!

Thank Post
    Try VLC - we used it last year for the World Cup and it worked like a dream.

We recorded/time-shifted matches and then streamed them (a few seconds behind the live feed) across the school network.

VLC Media Player - Download our Open-Source Media Player Software Free

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, but my guide only covers streaming of live broadcasts, not recording - at the moment. Also you're in the US according to your location icon, and since my guide only covers DVB-T broadcasts, I'm not sure how much use it will be since I don't think that standard is used much over there.

For recording for later playback, I'd echo the recommendation for using Media Centre on Vista or Windows 7 if you are able. Get hold of a WinTV card and everything else you need is built in to Windows. Schedule a recording, copy to a network share, playback with Windows Media Player.
    just be aware IF you use win7/vista (with tv pack) it changes files from dvr-ms which play on xp to wtv which i dont think do (at least not without effort)

Thank Post
    NPVR. Used to called GB-PVR but has been re-written. Can run on a fairly low spec PC and can run as a media server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread