+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Overhead video projector too bright - Teacher complains! in Technical; Originally Posted by Jamman960 Do any other rooms have a similar setup? and if so are other teachers complaining of ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Do any other rooms have a similar setup? and if so are other teachers complaining of the same thing? the last thing you want is to change one room and then have everyone else decide theirs need changing also

Swapping in a short/ultrashort teacher might be an easier solution
    Quite a few other rooms have the same setup and this is the only complaint we've had.

This particular teacher wears glasses and the glare seems worse with the glasses...I wear glasses myself and I would find it a problem I think, so I do have some sympathy with the situation.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Does he/she stare at the sun too?.....

We always re-inforce basic training when putting standard throw projectors into classrooms - what at the board, back to the projector, step to the side then turn.

I always thought these complaints were a mountain out of a molehill - i remember one educator from a previous employer insisted on wearing sunglasses.

3. Thanks to jc1875 from:

adhutton (9th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Cost solution - replace with short throw.
    Free solution - Intstruct teacher to use IWB with their back to kids and then step to the side when they need to speak to them.

You could also see if you can reduce the image from the projector and move the mount closer to the IWB(although that's probably not going to be enough to make a difference)

5. Thanks to penfold from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts
    All my Sanyo projectors have faded with age... do you have an old one in somebody else's room that it can be swapped with? Another teacher will probably be delighted with a bright projector.

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Just throw some dust into the projector, should make it suitably dark.

9. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Does it have a lamp save mode? That will reduce the light outout.

11. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    Quite a few other rooms have the same setup and this is the only complaint we've had.

This particular teacher wears glasses and the glare seems worse with the glasses...I wear glasses myself and I would find it a problem I think, so I do have some sympathy with the situation.

Andrew
    Send her out to get an eye test, and supply her with a pair of polarised glasses. Will reduce glare and cut the amount of light hitting her eyes.

13. Thanks to Busybub from:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Equip your teacher with a set of these:

15. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can get filters for cameras that reduce light without changing colour. They come in stops 1 2 3 (higher darker) and you can double them up. It might be your best bet to get the Cokin square plastic type. Also there are rotating polarising lenses available for cameras they will only allow light to travel through in one direction (to reduce reflections in pictures + enhance contrast.) One might in its vertical orientation reduce the light spread creating dimmer edges which means that the projector will be easier to stand in front of.
    HOYA 55mm Circular Polarising Filter | Dixons | PM me if you want me to have a go with one.
    Of course there is not a filter mount thread on the projector so you may need to get creative with gaffer tape and blue tack.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    You can get filters for cameras that reduce light without changing colour. They come in stops 1 2 3 (higher darker) and you can double them up. It might be your best bet to get the Cokin square plastic type. Also there are rotating polarising lenses available for cameras they will only allow light to travel through in one direction (to reduce reflections in pictures + enhance contrast.) One might in its vertical orientation reduce the light spread creating dimmer edges which means that the projector will be easier to stand in front of.
    HOYA 55mm Circular Polarising Filter | Dixons | PM me if you want me to have a go with one.
    Of course there is not a filter mount thread on the projector so you may need to get creative with gaffer tape and blue tack.
    Circular polarising filters do change the colour - they increase contrast, reducing brightness, and possibly increasing the saturation of the colours in the image.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    perhaps I could have been clearer, I am suggesting two different types of filter Neutral density filters (no colour effect) and circular polarising the latter MAY make some colour difference to the projected image, not significant to make it not worth trying if it gets a mardy teacher of a fellow techs back its got to be worth a go!

The effect in photography as I'm sure you're aware is achieved by reducing scattering of light, however this is due to reducing reflected light coming at the lens from quite large angles in preference to a desired direction of light (usually from the sun). In this case the lens would be used in reverse with a relatively short distance between light source and filter. It probably wont have the same contrast altering effect as it has in photography.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12