+ Post New Thread
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, Video Editing Suite & LAN in Technical; We are soon to be investing in new hardware for video editing - somewhat regretfully, this will be an iMac ...
    Thank Post

Video Editing Suite & LAN

We are soon to be investing in new hardware for video editing - somewhat regretfully, this will be an iMac and Final Cut Pro. Fortunately, it is but one machine

Would have preferred a high end PC and Premiere CS, but it's not to be...

However, editing footage across a LAN is not a good idea due to dropped frames, network bandwidth etc, so I was wondering how others coped with the demands of such a system and the large files they produce?

We had a good system going at my previous school, but not sure that we are going to implement it here due to department structure and availability of technicians.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 18th February 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Thank Post
    We only have 5 media computers.

I have created new large local partitions on the computers so they can store their huge video files there.

I have told the media teacher that if I find any huge files on the students or staff areas I will delete them.

I have then left the media teacher to police the local drives and access to the computers.

All seems to be going well so far and not had any complaints

Thank Post
    A few things which might help, I hope: Editing across the LAN is really risky. It can work on just a single machine but it's not recommended. Work using the local drive as a scratch disk and then manually copy the session to network storage if you want to mimic what a design agency or edit studio would do. Shouldn't be too traumatic on a single machine. The format you are editing in will determine the size of the files. Cameras shooting in compressed formats like HDV (tape) or AVCHD (card) have small file sizes but need to render video in order to edit it, so the more edits you make the bigger the file sizes get. If you have small allocations for Home folders you might want to expand those for some pupils, or have a shared storage area on the network for these larger files. You might want to consider partitioning the iMac drive before you install anything so that you have a designated scratch disk partition. Makes it easier to wipe clean once you know everything is safely backed up.

Thank Post
    Thanks folks - both replies thus far are more or less in line with how I did it at my previous school (kids used external drives, then bought said drive to me to back up on external RAID drive that I had).

We used to have some external firewire drives which the kids would be issued with to do their work on, then when finished, they'd return the drives and I would copy the files onto an external RAID I had, plus one other copy onto my Mac Pro office machine. The initial copy took a while as I had the captured footage to back up, but subsequent back ups took seconds as it was only the project files that had changed. The drives were numbered, so the kids just remembered which drive they had been issued with, and could ask for the same drive next time. If the drive had been used and/or their files removed/deleted/overwritten, then I just simply copied what I had on my RAID or Mac Pro back onto the drive for them. It was a system that worked well - never had one kid lose their work, and if they made a massive cock up, I always had a previous version to fall back on.

We'll see how things progress here. I've sort of proposed my recommendation, just have to see what is going to be adopted.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 21st February 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    To buck your trend, we video edit across the LAN, we have 1 gig to the desktop in the media rooms, the switch to it has a 2gb trunk direct to the core of the network and they edit live off my Oracle SAN, and it works fairly well for up to about 14 students, once we get above that trying to edit at once we have a problem I am hoping my new SAN will help with this as its got better performance thanks to flash accelerators

Thank Post
    Just to backup what John says, we too also edit across the LAN. They aren't on the main school network, they have been VLAN'd off and work on a Gb network of their own with 2TB Buffalo NAS. 14 machines editing on Premiere CS3 have no major problems. Only times we have issues with bandwidth is when the kids decide to bring work in from home, and copy GB's of files onto the NAS while everyone is editing then there is a real slowdown, but under "normal" workload, it works quite nicely.

Thank Post
    Thought i'd just bump this thread up and say how we're about to do it and possibly some questions:

This is how i'm going to do it:
    8 PCs all 6 core phenoms running adobe PRE9 (*spit spit spit*), local server connected to the same switch - all 1GB connections - with 2TB storage. (we're also purchasing CCTV for the media room and all PCs will be monitored with impero to flag up access of anything untoward, like cmd prompt etc as they'll have a lot more access in this room than everywhere else)

So fast pcs with fast storage local to them, no going over our main fibre links to get to the server room this way Deep freeze enterprise client installed on all of them and deep freeze manager to control, we'll be restoring the PCs to a standard image on every reboot, all changes will be destroyed.

Now to my problems:
    logins.... how do you do yours? Same accounts as the rest of the network? Seperate media logins? Local machine accounts?
    Software..... what do you put on yours? I seem to frequently have to take things off a DVD someone has made and then convert it to something PRE9 will see.

Thank Post
    We run 5 'video editing' pcs with premier elements. Since we only have 2 classes for media, i made those students members of a ou=media, then restricted only those members can logon to the machines. They all have 2 x 500gb hds in a mirror. There is a projects folder on C: we give them rights to save to without quota. This is backed up to a 2tb nas every lunchtime with a sync app scheduled.
    The kids know if any work gets deleted or messed with they will get found out.
    On a side note for the original post, we have serif movie x3 in the normal ICT suites and often have 60 or 90 kids editing videos over a gigabit lan without problems. Same can't be said for adobe products.
    And for a cool, free converter to get those pesky mp4's into premier i use a app called 'super(c)' . Keep skipping to the bottom of each page and the download link is on the 3rd or 4th

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread